How do you really feel about food expiration dates

Food expiration dates

How do you really feel about food expiration dates 32 votes

Absolutely throw it away on or before the date.
12%
Tony MUpstatemaxchumlietophatjohnny 4 votes
Close enough, give or take a week/month or so.
56%
mantisagfrostgeorge danielmuncybobaiconnwoofiepawsrooftop59maximilliancoolsaxdrselectGospelTruthNightfallcodycatalistK_MCGTIIImlistens03mn_polk_guySpatz1946 18 votes
I only look at the year.
9%
mrbigbluelightDaveHoMikey081057 3 votes
Expiration dates are for chumps.
18%
smglbrthhuggiesafterburntdaddyjtaudioluvrLostsoul123 6 votes
Knock the fur off of it and eat it anyway.
3%
pitdogg2 1 vote

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    @displayname I should have included "smell test" but since I suffer from olfactory hallucinations I didn't think of it.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    Sad
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Everything gets smelled, examined, and tasted if dairy. Animal flesh gets thrown out the quickest, but even then it depends...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • afterburnt
    delkal wrote: »
    This basically sums it up............

zmwa0h6d9659.jpg

Wow you are like a boss! All I got is some hamburger helper from the 80's.
  • afterburnt
    I got a can of vichyssoise from the 70's too but that's for special guests.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I only look at the year.
    Expiration dates are like speed limits, they're only a suggestion.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited November 2019
    DaveHo wrote: »

Tell that to the college kid who ate week-old spaghetti... oh wait you can't because he's dead from food poisoning.

https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/student-dies-10-hours-after-eating-5dayold-spaghetti/

Granted, he was also not very good at proper food handling, but...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I only look at the year.

Tell that to the college kid who ate week-old spaghetti... oh wait you can't because he's dead from food poisoning.

https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/student-dies-10-hours-after-eating-5dayold-spaghetti/

Wow, that's crazy. That said, as long as leftovers pass the sniff test, I'm game. My family seems to have an aversion to leftovers, so I've become the human garbage disposal of the house. Still here!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited November 2019

Who just keeps food out at room temperature for a week and keeps eating it? The "expiration dates are a suggestion" applies to the majority of us that put our food in the fridge. I mean, that's horrible, but wow that lacks all common sense.
    Post edited by Nightfall on
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    Food can kill you even if it's fresh but not prepped or cleaned properly.
    As always, avoid the gas station sushi.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Gas station sushi. Eew.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • afterburnt
    Nightfall wrote: »

Who just keeps food out at room temperature for a week and keeps eating it? The "expiration dates are a suggestion" applies to the majority of us that put our food in the fridge. I mean, that's horrible, but wow that lacks all common sense.

You know he learnt that in college
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I always wonder when I go in the gas station at 5pm, if those breakfast sandwiches that have been in the bin all day, actually sell?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Funny you say that. I stopped at a convenience store the other day & in the warmer there was some chicken nuggets that had a time wrote on label & were 6 hours old. I do not eat chicken nuggets anyways. Needless to say I walked out empty handed.
    Randy/Maine
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    There are some YouTube channels where guys buy or are sent old military rations or old canned things. Saw one a few days ago with canned creamed corn from the 1930s. The can had swelled up a bit, but it still looked somewhat edible and was free from wild bacteria when he looked at it under a microscope. I don't like creamed corn anyway.
  • afterburnt
    "creamed corn" not only the most disgusting food product ever it even sounds wrong!
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    You have obviously forgotten about SPAM.
  • I us my eyes, nose and common sense.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Creamed corn was awesome
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Close enough, give or take a week/month or so.
    Back in high school when I worked at the local grocery store, I was always told that the dairy section had a "sell by" date which is not an expiration date. The expiration as told to me by the dairy delivery guys was 7 days after the sell by date. I would still do the smell test though on anything dairy, meat and so on. Dry goods and canned food is more or less a guideline in my opinion. Probably loses it's nutritional value over time.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • afterburnt
    @Nightfall @nooshinjohn Ha ha ha, you guys are just trying to be gross arent yaz? Tell me y'all are just trying to be gross will yaz?
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    No joke. I bet I still like it
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • afterburnt
    :#
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited November 2019
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I haven't had it in years but I loved creamed corn as a kid.

Me too. What's Shepards Pie without creamstyle corn ? "You got nothing bub"
    Randy/Maine
  • afterburnt
    If it wasn't for people like you there would be no creamed corn. :|