SRS 3.1TL Crossover pics and questions

ThomasR
ThomasR Posts: 14
edited November 2019 in Vintage Speakers
Does anyone have a pic or 2 of the crossover for SRS 3.1TL? I believe it's PN BE0031-B. Are the crossovers for right and left speakers the same? Is installation/removal of them plug and play or is there soilering/adjustment needed when you swap them out? I think I've come across a couple and would like to try them out without blowing them up :)

Comments

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    They are the same, no left or right. They are plug'n'play, Mate'n'Lock connectors.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Thank you. That's good to hear. Maybe easier if I post a pic. Is there anything here that looks odd? That adhesive or whatever it is looks a little drippy. Is that normal?
    s9k4hq4ifl36.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    yes the hot melt glue is normal. They look legit to me.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Do you have the entire pair of speakers or just the crossovers?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited November 2019
    Other than very old capacitors and resistors, they look good. Replace the capacitors and resistors with quality parts (or have someone replace them) and you will love the speakers (if as Jesse asked, you have the cabinets and drivers included).

If you only have the crossovers, what speakers are you going to try them with? I will say that I would NOT try these crossovers in another pair of speakers that are not a pair of 3.1TL’s.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • ThomasR
    edited November 2019
    I have a pair of 3.1TL. I came across these crossovers for sale. The seller says they are new and were sitting on the shelf of a distributor, but they're just in bubble wrap ( no box,etc )which makes me a little nervous. Even if they are new, they are still 30 years old and I'm guessing just sitting around for 30 years has an impact on them. So I'm having 2nd thoughts about buying them. I think it might make more sense to have new resistors/capacitors put in my present crossovers than to buy these. Anyone know a ballpark cost of replacing caps/resistors? Nothing fancy just a basic refresh, I think the crossovers I have are OK, but they're getting old so I'm giving some thought to refreshing them.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Get some @gimpod boards from @westmassguy and go from there. Much more room for the bigger caps.
    Ballpark with quality caps and resistors 200/250. Worth every penny.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited November 2019
    Electrolytic Capacitors are not like fine wine, they don't age well. Sitting on a shelf, unused, is about the worst thing you can do to an Electrolytic, other than over-volting of course.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Restore/Refresh the crossovers you have now.

If you buy those, you'll *still* need to refresh those.
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    Take the advice here and just upgrade your existing crossovers. Pretty easy project and lots of step-by-step guidance here if you search a little. The improvement is very noticeable to the ear.

The pictures you posted seem to be of the same crossover. Just be aware these came in two flavors. Early versions, "A", used a 20 gauge - 18mH dimensional inductor and required an additional 2 ohm 25 watt cast resistor to make up the impedance. Later crossovers, Version "B", like the one pictured, used a 22 gauge - 18mH inductor and didn't utilize the resistor. They are interchangeable but of course adding an additional resistor in the signal path is never desirable.

If you decide to rebuild your existing parts, just be aware if one has a big long white resistor and one does not. I was lucky enough to run into this mess on one pair of my 3.1's. I just used Gimpod's boards and aftermarket 18mH inductors eliminating the mismatch.

Robby
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• ThomasR
    edited November 2019
    I'm going with upgrading the existing crossovers. Unfortunately the extent of my electronics knowledge/ability is maxed out with removing,boxing, sending them to someone who knows what they're doing and then (hopefully) putting them back in minus sparks. I got excited when I saw "new" crossovers for sale. But the more I thought about it, I would just be exchanging a known commodity (my working crossovers) for a totally unknown commodity. At least I know mine haven't been sitting in a basement for 30 years. But they are 30 years old, so I just need to get a movin' having the work done. But I'm not even certain what work that might be.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Contact Polk member Westmassguy. He rebuilds crossovers, has done them for many, many members here, and is very knowledgeable in regards to the different variations between models.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    I would (and most others on this forum would also) recommend you contact @westmassguy
    Dave does crossover rebuilds & his work is stellar.

Look up DHS Speaker service