Cary SLP-05

If anyone is wanting to part with theirs, let me know.
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Good luck Joey! I love mine for sure!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Joey check the for sale threads there was one listed.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    I checked, nothing yet.

Will wait around.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    What changed your mind, may I ask?

I think it’s a phenomenal piece, in the right system with the right tubes.
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    edited November 2019
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Joey check the for sale threads there was one listed.

Jumpindick had one for sale here back in July but he informed me that it had sold locally shortly after he posted it here. Not a surprise as it was a brand new one at a decent price.

• pitdogg2
    Ok i knew I wasn't insane.....
    Don't answer that @tonyb
  • Joey_V
    GlennDog wrote: »
    What changed your mind, may I ask?

I think it’s a phenomenal piece, in the right system with the right tubes.

Lived with the arc5se for a bit
    I found the Cary more to my taste in the end
  • DSkip wrote: »
    Dhaval gave up Cary after hearing Norma. Maybe you should check them out.

I was going to chime in to say that @Joey_V worth looking at Norma preamp. I loved my first Cary SLP05 that I had originally bought "used", and eventually sold to @verb. I missed it so much that I ended up buying a brand new. However, at the same time, Skip came by to deliver the Rosso speakers and along with him, he brought the Norma preamp. I gave it a go in the system. The very same day, I told Skip that he was not taking the Norma preamp back. I found it sound really great compared to Cary SLP05. For me it was hard to believe that the Norma premp would sound so rich especially given that it is a SS and not tube. If you can get to listen to it, please do so.
  • GlennDog
    Anyone hear reports on how the DAC module sounds in the REVO SC-2 ?

Of course, first hand testimony is always welcome 😎😆
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    edited November 2019
    TEASE!

won’t be able to sleep tonight...

Those that may have heard the DS-1 last weekend, please chime in
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited November 2019
    Pass Labs XP-22 two-chassis linestage preamp...

adi8m683x8mr.jpg

Demo, Excellent condition, about two months old, three years transferable factory warranty, all factory accessories, new factory double-boxing, Satisfaction Guaranteed, S/N 35609,10. $7395. Black Friday Sale $6995.

Reach out to Reno HiFi and you won't regret it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    John, have you heard the Norma gear? How does it compare to the Pass?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I'd say that's quite the accomplishment if the Norma can top the Cary 05, especially given it's SS.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    tonyb wrote: »
    I'd say that's quite the accomplishment if the Norma can top the Cary 05, especially given it's SS.

I don't mean to sound all fan-boy-ish but I will completely agree with Skip's assessment that Norma gear is the most tube-like solid state gear I have ever heard.
    It truly is that good.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Sounds like we have a piece for a demo round....Bueller Bueller.... :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DSkip wrote: »

Sheesh, you guys think I’m made of money. :D

It'd be like drop in a bucket, Skipper :D
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    What do they run??
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Joey_V
    Thx guys
    Keep them coming

Still haven’t found the one
    Trying to hold out for the ultimate edition
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited November 2019
    @Joey_V Cary – 30% off Anniversary Sale, use code 30YEARS
    Not in the market but I was curious what an SLP-05 w/ultimate upgrade and Kimber inputs priced out to. Subtract the NC tax, for anyone out of state, and you can have brand spankin' new for a cool $7605.50.j80auz7751me.png
    Post edited by JayCee on
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Those of you with Cary SLP-05 experience, What Amp were you using, and or would suggest??
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Mine was paired with MC601's. I just found I preferred mating the amps to a Mac pre. Not as much for the sound but how they work together.

The Cary was by far the best pre I have owned. Could heat the room a bit though after a long session.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    Mine is paired with a Pass labs XA30.5 or Joule Electra Emerald
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited November 2019
    So, for those that have or have experienced the 05 and assuming one could afford it, is the sale price w/"ultimate upgrade" worth the $7.5K for new? Just asking...not in the market. LOL.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • GlennDog
    JayCee wrote: »
    is the sale price w/"ultimate upgrade" worth the $7.5K for new? Just asking...not in the market. LOL.

I haven’t come across an unbiased comment on the benefits of the ultimate upgrade… Was following this thread, now I’m really following it cuz, cuz Verb needs to know!

FWIW, Ihave mine paired with Rogue M180 monos
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    is the sale price w/"ultimate upgrade" worth the $7.5K for new? Just asking...not in the market. LOL.

I haven’t come across an unbiased comment on the benefits of the ultimate upgrade… Was following this thread, now I’m really following it cuz, cuz Verb needs to know!

Lol! I've been thinking for sure about the upgrade. Maybe an early Christmas present to me! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    edited November 2019
    verb wrote: »

Lol! I've been thinking for sure about the upgrade. Maybe an early Christmas present to me! :smile:

OR a New Years.... Higher Rezolution ....

:D:D:D
  • Joey_V
    Thx for the input guys

I see that 30% off at cary now.

7800$ for a cary preamp is a little steep however