7800$ for a cary preamp is a little steep however

You spent more for cables Joey.... Give me a break
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,480
    edited November 2019
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Thx for the input guys I see that 30% off at cary now. 7800$ for a cary preamp is a little steep however
    You spent more for cables Joey.... Give me a break
    fk9ij5wviohc.gif
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Joey is like the 1998 Corolla with a $4,000 sound system driving around.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Joey is like the 1989 Hyundai Elantra with a $25,000 sound system driving around.

Fixed.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    Haha
    You guys are funny

I mean... a Cary 05 should not be $7800.

I think around $5500 is what it should cost given the used market. That’s with the ultimate upgrade.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    edited November 2019
    Options
    But good luck finding one Joey. Those that have one will rarely part with it. Personally, I think they are not as good as the Pass Labs XP22 you can get for that price, or the XP30 that is getting close to that as well.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    $7800 for a cary preamp is a little steep

Yeah. If I was drop’n that kinda coin, I’d be looking at the likes of this ...
    https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9ie2j-vac-signature-mk-iia-preamp-tubes?utm_campaign=Saturday_Email_20191123&utm_content=saturday_email_20191123&utm_medium=email&utm_source=zaius
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    The VAC room at AXPONA was off the charts! Love to get some VAC pieces someday! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

They wouldn't need those tube dampers IF they ran decent tubes.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Don't understand it, like a veil on your sound. Plus, he has tube dampers on every tube.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    That one is now gone. I had been keeping an eye on it. Whew!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Not to sound stupid about tubes (because I am) but what's the function of a tube damper? I thought those things were so he could pull the tubes easier...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Ah. Thank Skip. So the unique resonance of the tube itself is what gives them that live sound. Slowly catching on.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• jdjohn
    Options
    My understanding is that the rings prevent microphonics, but I'm a tube newb. Seems like unless you're having a problem with microphonics, the rings aren't needed. They shouldn't be considered a necessity, or must-have.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    edited December 2019
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Not quite. It’s that the absorption aspect deadens everything. Absorption has positive qualities but also negative ones that, as you move up in the audio world, can really become major detriments.

I have an inkling your resume does not include “English“ teacher. Perhaps applied physics with a concentration in noise, vibration and harshness?
    Post edited by GlennDog on
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    My understanding is that the rings prevent microphonics, but I'm a tube newb. Seems like unless you're having a problem with microphonics, the rings aren't needed. They shouldn't be considered a necessity, or must-have.

YES ^^^ If you have a microphonic tube get a NEW one that isn't
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Would NOS suffice? :D