LSiM Series question?

This is a really dumb question but I'm gonna ask. Why is it that the LSi Series of speakers were 4ohm speakers, the LSiM series speakers went to 8ohm speakers and now the latest Legend series went back to a 4ohm speaker? Curious minds want to know!
Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!

Comments

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    That’s based on an average. I believe the 8ohm rating on LSiM was fairly misleading because it has dips down to 2.8ohm for the towers.
    https://www.soundandvision.com/content/test-report-polk-audio-lsim-speaker-system-page-3
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    edited November 2019
    FYI, I learned yesterday from Scott Orth the 8 ohm rating is 8 compatible ohms for the LSiM series when it’s really closer to 4. They went back to 4 for the Legend. Impedance curves for speakers are typically not ruler flat and there is no one industry standard everyone adheres to. Take that with a grain of salt as it’s more of my translation of what I was told. I like to think i’m knowledgeable on the subject but I will listen to the folks who actually designed and sell the products. The narrative differs from manufacturers as well so use your best judgment.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited November 2019
    mpitogo wrote: »
    FYI, I learned yesterday from Scott Orth the 8 ohm rating is 8 compatible ohms for the LSiM series when it’s really closer to 4. They went back to 4 for the Legend. Impedance curves for speakers are typically not ruler flat and there is no one industry standard everyone adheres to. Take that with a grain of salt as it’s more of my translation of what I was told. I like to think i’m knowledgeable on the subject but I will listen to the folks who actually designed and sell the products. The narrative differs from manufacturers as well so use your best judgment.

Great description.

I have even seen some that give a range, such as 6-8 ohms, I assume to mean impedance tends to stay in that range.( or at least for a good portion of the spectrum)