LSiM Series question?

Grimster74Grimster74 Posts: 2,522
This is a really dumb question but I'm gonna ask. Why is it that the LSi Series of speakers were 4ohm speakers, the LSiM series speakers went to 8ohm speakers and now the latest Legend series went back to a 4ohm speaker? Curious minds want to know!
Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!

Comments

• displaynamedisplayname Posts: 463
    That’s based on an average. I believe the 8ohm rating on LSiM was fairly misleading because it has dips down to 2.8ohm for the towers.
    https://www.soundandvision.com/content/test-report-polk-audio-lsim-speaker-system-page-3
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Sony CDP-CE375 / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > JBL Studio 580 or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • mpitogompitogo Posts: 356
    edited November 9
    FYI, I learned yesterday from Scott Orth the 8 ohm rating is 8 compatible ohms for the LSiM series when it’s really closer to 4. They went back to 4 for the Legend. Impedance curves for speakers are typically not ruler flat and there is no one industry standard everyone adheres to. Take that with a grain of salt as it’s more of my translation of what I was told. I like to think i’m knowledgeable on the subject but I will listen to the folks who actually designed and sell the products. The narrative differs from manufacturers as well so use your best judgment.
    Living Room Music-2.0 Polk L800 | McIntosh C47 | Macintosh MC452 | Denon DP-2500A | Oppo BDP-103 | MacMini
    Family Room Home Theater-7.2.2 (Atmos) Polk LSiM 707, Martin Logan Motion 50xt, Dual DSW microPRO 3000, fx500, T15, RC65i | Marantz SR7009 | Rotel RB-1590 [FL/FR] | Sony UBP-X800 4K | Xbox One S 4K | AppleTV | HTPC | Sony 75” XBR X850D 4K
    Office Home Theater-5.1 Polk RT55, CS400, PSW450, T15 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Xbox 360 MCE | AppleTV | Samsung 55”
    Office Music-2.0 KEF Q100 | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080
    Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | McIntosh MA-5200
    Patio Music-2.0 Polk Atrium8 | AMC 2445 bridged
    Airplay zones: Family Room (HDMI), Master Bedroom (Optical), Office (HDMI), Living Room (Optical), SR7009 (AVR direct) and Patio (analog). MacMini iTunes multi-stream to any, combo or all.
    Spares: Polk LSi25, LSiC, CS300, T15, Martin Logan Motion 40, Klipsch RP-600M, Dynamo 500, Rotel RA-1570, Denon AVR-4802R, Onkyo DX-C540, DVP-S500D, PS HX-500, PASS ACA (kit) Class A balanced monoblocks
    Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,519
    edited November 10
    mpitogo wrote: »
    FYI, I learned yesterday from Scott Orth the 8 ohm rating is 8 compatible ohms for the LSiM series when it’s really closer to 4. They went back to 4 for the Legend. Impedance curves for speakers are typically not ruler flat and there is no one industry standard everyone adheres to. Take that with a grain of salt as it’s more of my translation of what I was told. I like to think i’m knowledgeable on the subject but I will listen to the folks who actually designed and sell the products. The narrative differs from manufacturers as well so use your best judgment.

Great description.

I have even seen some that give a range, such as 6-8 ohms, I assume to mean impedance tends to stay in that range.( or at least for a good portion of the spectrum)
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775