More power!

2»

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Daddy you and I are already thinking the same thing! This little guy is being shipped directly to our dear fellow CP member, @Clipdat :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    ^^^^^^You are a nice guy Verb.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I bet my electrical infrastructure would lite that thing up like Christmas. The numbers would be so high it'd be like I won the Powerball.
    I do want one though.
  • verb
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I bet my electrical infrastructure would lite that thing up like Christmas. The numbers would be so high it'd be like I won the Powerball.
    I do want one though.

@Clipdat Hey Drew - When finished, ship that baby to Ivan! On the road to Michigan! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    I do want one though.

The highest number I've seen here was a bit over 2000. That was direct from my Harbor Freight inverter generator which is supposedly good for electronics. Quiet lines and PS Audio noise harvesters did nothing to lower that number. On household current the most I've been able to get is a bit over 1000 (led dimmer switches on highest setting) and the plug in noise reduction devices did help to lower that number a small amount.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Here is a white paper on power wiring.
    I used it as a guide for my dedicated circuits.0p95yc1t4vbr.jpg
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Dave you are one of the most generous folks I know. 👍🏻
  • Strong Bad wrote: »
    I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I contacted the Electrician and said i'd like to go with TWO dedicated 20amp outlets. Thats going to be done the last Saturday of this month.

Going to be interesting to see what improvements this makes to the home theater, especially with the SVS sub and the Carver m1.5t amp.

"UNLIMITED POWER!!!!" - Darth Sideous

You're in for a treat!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited November 2019
    verb wrote: »
    I do want one though.

@Clipdat Hey Drew - When finished, ship that baby to Ivan! On the road to Michigan! :)

I appreciate the gesture but please do not send it to me. When my father built the house i know for fact he used 14ga to all outlets and switches. All the outlets in the basement are ran in series. I found this out when i went to put a GFI outlet to the right of the kitchen sink. When tripped the 4 down stream in my bedroom are without power. The outlet on the left side of the kitchen sink feeds the outlets to my living/stereo room. I only upgraded the outlet for the stereo to hospital grade for better grip on the power cords.
    The only other dedicated outlet is where the refrigerator is. The upstairs living area is the same for outlets which I guess was very common in 1992. The incoming power and panel is fed from the far side of the garage. In order to run new 10ga 20amp circuits to the basement would require a lot of holes in ceilings and a major removal of basement ceiling to feed through floor joists. Maybe one day I'll tackle this but it will not be in the future until my mother passes. I'll then I'll more than likely sell the house and move out of this god forsaken state I live in now.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Just ordered one. Directly from Alpha Labs!
    47em6jw27mcm.png

Nice - perhaps you could do a sort of “demo” program, similar to the new speakers going around. And each member that gets it sends you $10 PP or so to offset the cost, and pays shipping to the next member:-)

Count me in if @verb wants to recoup some of his investment.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • verb
    No recoup my man! My pleasure! After Ivan ships it to me, and I play with it for a while, off she goes! I’ll start a new thread to keep track! :smile:
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I contacted the Electrician and said i'd like to go with TWO dedicated 20amp outlets. Thats going to be done the last Saturday of this month.

Going to be interesting to see what improvements this makes to the home theater, especially with the SVS sub and the Carver m1.5t amp.

"UNLIMITED POWER!!!!" - Darth Sideous

How much are they charging you? If you don't mind saying.

It was a couple grand for me to add 20a circuits.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited November 2019
    machone wrote: »
    Here is a white paper on power wiring.
    I used it as a guide for my dedicated circuits.
    @ machine: I believe I got the idea for a dedicated panel w/internal surge suppression from your setup?

In 2-3 years I’d appreciate some time w/that noise detection device before I finalize wiring decisions.

Polk forum: a great bunch of guys

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Polk forum: a great bunch of guys

Amen Tony, amen!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I do want one though.

I appreciate the gesture but please do not send it to me. When my father built the house i know for fact he used 14ga to all outlets and switches. All the outlets in the basement are ran in series. I found this out when i went to put a GFI outlet to the right of the kitchen sink. When tripped the 4 down stream in my bedroom are without power. The outlet on the left side of the kitchen sink feeds the outlets to my living/stereo room. I only upgraded the outlet for the stereo to hospital grade for better grip on the power cords.
    The only other dedicated outlet is where the refrigerator is. The upstairs living area is the same for outlets which I guess was very common in 1992. The incoming power and panel is fed from the far side of the garage. In order to run new 10ga 20amp circuits to the basement would require a lot of holes in ceilings and a major removal of basement ceiling to feed through floor joists. Maybe one day I'll tackle this but it will not be in the future until my mother passes. I'll then I'll more than likely sell the house and move out of this god forsaken state I live in now.

I'll be following right behind ya Pit. I'm jealous my best bud is leaving in 3 years and I have to wait 7.
  • verb
    I do want one though.

No worries brother! At least you can get some data! Let me know if you reconsider! :smile:
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 520
    I just had an electrician out to install some outlets in our 1941 house. We upgraded several that needed GFCI inside and out. While he was around we installed a dedicated 10 gauge circuit for the audio gear. We went up from the basement and it was a very short run from the box. From what I have observed electricians are generally resistant about doing 10 gauge, and skeptical that 10 gauge or a dedicated circuit will make any audible difference. I tried to explain that it wasn't strictly about the power required as much as how it sounds. As I expected the improvement was dramatic as the outlets I was using beforehand were downstream of several others and on a fairly long circuit. It was only a few hundred bucks and I highly recommend it if you get the chance to do it.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    This past weekend I had the two 20A outlets installed. He also installed a surge protector inside the breaker box to cover the entire house. All total...$500. Well worth the cost! I have the Carver m1.5t amp and one of the LSi 25's sub amps into one, the SVS PC-Ultra, Denon receiver and the other LSi 25 sub amp into the second one. The TV, OPPO and Apple TV run into a Monster Power Center which goes into the 15A outlet that was already there.

While he was here, I fired up a movie (Mad Max Fury Road) and let the volume loose. He measured the draw on the line with the SVS and so on...it was peaking around 7.5A.

Appreciate all the feedback on this thread!
    No excuses!
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    He also installed a surge protector* inside the breaker box to cover the entire house...
    Did he bring that* to “the party” or you? Good idea either way - every little bit of protection helps.
    ...The TV, OPPO and Apple TV run into a Monster Power Center which goes into the 15A outlet that was already there.
    So you have 3 circuits - 2 20As and a 15A? Anything else on the 15A? Right now I can’t see your sig if you list your equipment config there - I’m on my phone
    Appreciate all the feedback on this thread!
    You’re most welcome. Now sit back and enjoy your “amped up” system - you should realize a greater sense of “Umph!” effortlessness, and control especially at higher settings.

Felice Natale! Tony

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work