13»

Comments

• thejck
    thejck Posts: 849
    this thread still going strong :-)
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    edited November 2019
    We recently replaced our carpeting with Tigressa "Soft" carpet which is basically a nylon carpet made of much finer stands than normal carpet that give the carpet a soft feel. The carpet does fell really nice and soft, especially on bare feet. However none of our Dyson's, Hoover, or Bissell vacuums could motor through the carpet. The Dyson were hilarious in that they just stuck to the carpet like a suction cup when you turned them on. We had to buy a Soniclean vacuum like this:

https://sonicleanusa.com/products/soniclean-soft-carpet-upright-vacuum-cleaner?variant=13973844230186&currency=USD&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrLWzgKDZ5QIVgYzICh3uNAAgEAQYAiABEgI0FfD_BwE

The Soniclean is easy to push through the carpet. From what I can tell it is basically a vacuum from like the 70s with much less suction than today's vacuums and uses a bag. It has a base plate that vibrates to loosen dirt and has wide wheels. It works amazing well and is very light.
  • thejck
    i ended up with a sanitaire. the same ones used by commercials. new house has a central vac which is nice.

avoid the gimmicks like with dyson.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I agree bro!

The one he is referring to is this model:

4yflkogv78cm.jpeg
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Is that Eureka a tiny chrome-plated machine
    That looks like a magical pig
    With marital aids stuck all over it?
  • joecoulson
    Bought the last vacuum I’ll ever purchase.
    Sebo X7 premium pet
    Unbelievable engineering.
    https://www.sebo.us/upright-vacuums/automatic-x/automatic-x7-x8-best-vacuum-cleaner.aspx
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    NICE! ;)

I too believe in buying a great vacuum cleaner.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • thejck
    this thread still going stong.. 13 years later.. one of the best things I ever did as an adult.. :smile:
  • thejck
    i have a sanitaire blue bag that has been rocking it out...moved to a house that has a whole house vacuum...**** sucks better than the better half../s
  • afterburnt
    Kirby probably cost a few grand by now
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I find this whole thread most amusing -- 'cause everybody knows that choosy audiophiles choose Miele.

0mwqlhbdhb5c.png

B)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited September 2020
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Kirby probably cost a few grand by now

There are two stores around here who take them in on trade. They'll refurbish them(new bag, brush) make sure all switches work. They sell them between 250 and 500 dollars. Pretty affordable at that point.
  • New Kirby's are not that expensive... I think i paid like $750 for mine, you can make deals..
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • pitdogg2
    New Kirby's are not that expensive... I think i paid like $750 for mine, you can make deals..

Are newer models still all metal or more lighter plastic?
    My mom's back in 70's was an absolute tank.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Had a Kirby for a long time. While it was a good vacuum, transitioning from the beater bar to the various attachments and storing them was a PITA. All in all I don't miss it. Maybe the new ones are better?
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    New Kirby's are not that expensive... I think i paid like $750 for mine, you can make deals..

Are newer models still all metal or more lighter plastic?
    My mom's back in 70's was an absolute tank.

They incorporate some lighter weight materials and are somewhat lighter . I had a dyson and a shark before this and the Kirby beats them in very way. At the heart of the Kirby is a powerful motor and a durable housing that will last a lifetime. Well engineered and perfected over the years.

The Dyson's aren't cheap either.

The Kirby is one tough mother.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • pitdogg2
    edited September 2020
    We had an Eureka vac plant for decades. It shut down many years ago. The employees would test various vacuums on the market and they didn't have anything nice to say about the dysons.
    You couldn't get me to spend that kind of money on a Dyson.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    edited September 2020
    A good vacuum cleaner ?

A good wife on the business end of a sturdy broom every time.

(The wisdom of Luke McCoy)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iua5rUs8GFQ
    Post edited by mrbigbluelight on
    Sal Palooza
  • My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

• joecoulson
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I find this whole thread most amusing -- 'cause everybody knows that choosy audiophiles choose Miele.

0mwqlhbdhb5c.png

B)

Nope.
    80p2o8if7p1k.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    Love that cartoon
  • afterburnt
    Anyone tried this?rvvv1oyed7no.jpg

It looks delicious!
  • afterburnt