Broke into the 13's with just an intake Mod

Hello all,
Very happy with my pass today. 13.8 @99 mph in a 2017 Durango R/T stock except I added a K&N Cold Air intake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVf0QIEB_OY
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Very nice! Wow still open for the season too! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Nice job!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    verb wrote: »
    They are open till the end of November .

Dan
  • mantis
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    Nice job!

Thanks. Actually I also got interviewed after my run by R/T Life youtube channel. The guy who runs it wanted to talk to me about my fast run. He filmed it and is going to put it on his youtube channel along with a short interview which was really cool. I just wanted to thank him for his channel and cool videos he posts and he turned it around on me and made it about me LOL. He's a really cool down to earth person. If you like Mopar you should check out his channel.
    Dan
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    That Accord's exhaust makes me embarrassed to own a Honda.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • wfywhl26d5x4.jpg
    Here's a pic of my Mopar. It's an 06' Daytona in Torred, number 1332/2000. The only thing I've done to it is a Diablo Sport tuner. Haven't run it at the track yet,but you got me thinking..........
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908
    Congrats!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Nightfall wrote: »

Those kids! Got to agree with ya. And he got badly spanked even though he jumped the line!

Well done @mantis :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    What was time without the K&N filter?
  • mantis
    It was so loud you couldn't hear mine LOL.

Dan
  • mantis
    wfywhl26d5x4.jpg
    Here's a pic of my Mopar. It's an 06' Daytona in Torred, number 1332/2000. The only thing I've done to it is a Diablo Sport tuner. Haven't run it at the track yet,but you got me thinking..........
    Sweet ride man. Looks great. Get her down to the rack and see what she can do. It's amazingly fun and you get to meet some very cool people to boot.

Dan
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    mantis wrote: »

Actually, Atco is open all winter, weather permitting. But it's typically test and tune sessions or track rentals. No events and no concessions so the stands are sparsely populated. They'll charge you a CREW entry fee which is usually $10 or so if you're not racing but they aren't necessarily open to the general public.

The schedule for open events just runs from March to early December, typically.

They used to have a "Black Friday" event where the tagline was jokes about letting the wife go shopping or hiding from the crowds and it was pretty much 8-12 hours of bracket racing the day after Thanksgiving and that weekend was the last scheduled weekend with a closing street weekend the weekend after.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    The Challengers and Chargers have CAI out of the box. Not a mod you should pay more for; in fact most aftermarket "cold air" intakes open up the air filter to the engine compartment---NOT good. The Challengers/Chargers box takes fresh air in from the wheel well, and is completely sealed from engine heat.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Jstas
    steveinaz wrote: »
    The Challengers and Chargers have CAI out of the box. Not a mod you should pay more for; in fact most aftermarket "cold air" intakes open up the air filter to the engine compartment---NOT good. The Challengers/Chargers box takes fresh air in from the wheel well, and is completely sealed from engine heat.

This is true.

The benefits to most CAI kits don't come from the "cold air" part of it but rather the more direct intake route with smother transitions that they create. They also tend to be 15-30% larger in diameter than the stock parts so they have a higher CFM rating.

Most stock intake systems are a compromise between performance and packaging. An aftermarket CAI kit doesn't care so much about the packaging, as long as it fits. If you notice on them, too, they re-route the intake tubes because of clearances. They end up sucking hot engine air not because there's a performance boost but because they can't fit the bigger tube where it needs to be.

If you can get your CAI kit to actually grab cold air, the differences would be more noticeable. Having it pull air that just went past the hot radiator negates the gains of the cold air and it's made up for and then some by the larger intake tubing. Imagine how much more you'd get out of it if it actually did suck in cold air.

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    The kit I got for my JGC has a box that is *mostly* sealed from the engine bay...the section where the actual intake passes through isn't sealed airtight but the rest of the box is isolated from the engine bay and the top edges has a thick rubber seal that presses against the hood.

The air is taken in from the stock gap at the top of the core support with a metal guide that acts as a scoop that passes air from in front of the radiator into the box.

That combined with the Hypertech Interceptor and a 180* thermostat give a nice little performance bump on the ol' butt dyno.

I am hard pressed not to have a custom dual H pipe (second H pipe at the rear axle area eliminates drone in the 45mph cruise range from the cylinder cutoff "eco" mode) and some long tube headers installed.
    I am afraid that would gateway me into a cam, Edelbrock supercharger, MSD coils and bigger injectors. >:)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288

That's because you got the wrong Honda. The Civic Type R is the one you want if you want to be in the 13 second 1/4 mile stock.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    My Stinger 2.0T AWD can do a 1/4 in about 14.5. Hoping to do a chip and exhaust mod to shave a second off that.
  • mantis wrote: »
    wfywhl26d5x4.jpg
    Sweet ride man. Looks great. Get her down to the rack and see what she can do. It's amazingly fun and you get to meet some very cool people to boot.

Thank you! I've had other vehicles down the track,so it's probably time to take this out there. Plus I'm sure my wife wouldn't mind taking a blast down the track!
  • As a side note, a couple years ago I had the opportunity to run an asphalt Sled down the 1/4. 138.7mph 9.02 seconds. That was definitely FUN!!!!!
  • mantis
    Jstas wrote: »

Actually, Atco is open all winter, weather permitting. But it's typically test and tune sessions or track rentals. No events and no concessions so the stands are sparsely populated. They'll charge you a CREW entry fee which is usually $10 or so if you're not racing but they aren't necessarily open to the general public.

They used to have a "Black Friday" event where the tagline was jokes about letting the wife go shopping or hiding from the crowds and it was pretty much 8-12 hours of bracket racing the day after Thanksgiving and that weekend was the last scheduled weekend with a closing street weekend the weekend after.
    I didn't know any of that. The guy who checks your vehicle before you race and puts your numbers on told me that they are at the end of the season. I just figured they where closing shop for the winter after November. I don't think I would run in the bitter cold as the track will be very cold and traction will be a huge issue.

Dan
  • mantis
    Dodge makes a CAI system for the Durango's but they stopped in 2016. I have a 2017 which has electronic steering the 2016 had a rack and pinion. There is a bracket the Dodge CAI system uses on the power steering reservoir and the 2017 doesn't have this. I probably could have got it anyway and made some kind of mounting bracket in that area. But the K&N is very nice, has a heat shield and she pulls very hard with it not to mention I dropped from 14.1 to 13.8 with it so I think it's doing very well.
    xdw4brgets9d.jpeg
    Dan
  • Jstas
    Jstas wrote: »

I didn't know any of that. The guy who checks your vehicle before you race and puts your numbers on told me that they are at the end of the season. I just figured they where closing shop for the winter after November. I don't think I would run in the bitter cold as the track will be very cold and traction will be a huge issue.

End of season as far as events go. The schedule usually doesn't go past the 1st weekend in December and then won't start again until the 2nd or 3rd week of March, weather permitting.

You're not going to be able to show up at the track any given day in the off-season and expect to get in, though. You watch the website or follow them on Facebook and they will announce when they are open.

The colder months, though, track prep suffers, obviously.

• steveinaz
    edited November 2019
    You can see here (5.7L Hemi--2018), how the stock box is sealed and gets fresh air from the drivers wheel-well. I have the 392 style engine covers because I didn't like all the trapped heat under the OEM engine cover. Note the catch can, while it does nothing for performance, it's worthwhile for limiting junk in the intake, and can help preserve the integrity of your octane level.

n96oszn6w0ln.jpg
    xe2p2ed0plq4.jpg

I have driven mine since new, with MDS deactivated (Sport mode). I still get 18.5 city, 26 highway thanks to the 8-speed trans, and I don't drive it necessarily conservatively. I'm really happy with the mpg. The first 3000 miles or so, it was more like 15/22; I now have about 8200 miles on it.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908
    edited November 2019
    Yea, going to the track is a lot of fun. A good air intake can help for sure. Nice clean engine bay!

I used to do drag racing in high school when I had my 57 Chevy and my 68 Z/28.

I won my class in the 68 AHRA Summer Nationals.

7wyqdjoclzmm.jpg
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • steveinaz
    FYI, my catch can is a Billet Tech.
  • mantis
    edited November 2019
    You can see here (5.7L Hemi--2018), how the stock box is sealed and gets fresh air from the drivers wheel-well. I have the 392 style engine covers because I didn't like all the trapped heat under the OEM engine cover. Note the catch can, while it does nothing for performance, it's worthwhile for limiting junk in the intake, and can help preserve the integrity of your octane level.

n96oszn6w0ln.jpg
    xe2p2ed0plq4.jpg

I have driven mine since new, with MDS deactivated (Sport mode). I still get 18.5 city, 26 highway thanks to the 8-speed trans, and I don't drive it necessarily conservatively. I'm really happy with the mpg. The first 3000 miles or so, it was more like 15/22; I now have about 8200 miles on it.
    I wish someone made those covers for the Durango. The ones on the market like yours do not fit properly on the Durango's 5.7.
    You also don't have the Resenators on your intake system like the Durango came with,
    9h48is9ka6a9.jpeg
    The K&N Absolutely provides a HP and Torque improvement. I have been down Atco a few times now and never ever got to 13 second anything. My personal best without the CAI system has been a 14.1 @96 MPH. With the CAI and absolutely no other changes I managed to blast a 13.8 @ 99 MPH. IMO and being a racer from the late 80's and 90's this is a pretty big improvemnet. There are sealed CAI systems on the market but everyone I have seen didn't improve 1/4 mile times like the K&N does.
    The Intake system from the factory has to restrict air flow. Daily driving with that system on feels very different then the K&N. Forget about the cool sounds it makes it pulls harder.
    The 2018 Chargers are really nice, My wife has the AWD version with the V6 at 300 HP and that thing feels great. She wanted a HEMI but you could not order a AWD model with a HEMI which sucks as I feel thats what should be in the Charger with a AWD system. She loves her car as she got the crazy Purple and it IMO has plenty of power for her.
    I'm strongly considering picking up a 2020 Charger Hellcat Wide Body in that new Blue color.
    I'd also like to get a Catch Can for no other reason then what you listed above.

Dan
  • mantis
    edited November 2019
    bx33v55s57c7.jpeg

Dan
  • steveinaz
    The 392 covers require some "surgery" to fit the 5.7L they're not a direct replacement.
  • Jstas
    The 392 covers require some "surgery" to fit the 5.7L they're not a direct replacement.

Because they are different engines.

They are based on the same overall design but the 6.1/6.2/6.4 HEMI is reworked from the 5.7L to improve cooling and oiling as well as performance increases to support the 425HP+ power levels.

Hell, the original 5.7L HEMI isn't even the same as the 2009 "Eagle" rework so parts don't swap either. Biggest difference is 2009 saw the intro of the variable valve train.

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    The K&N filters definitely add horsepower, even though the stock boxes on my two Chevy is pulling “cold” air from the wheel well, it does not do it efficiently and it stifles airflow. Just the one mod added 15 hp based on K&N provided dump sheets.

i7s30x5xenf7.png