Anyone here juice their own drinks?

Options
treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,316
edited November 2019 in The Clubhouse
I recently got a Breville juicer for the wife. First off was a trial run with carrots, oranges, ginger and apple. Gotta admit, it was weird drinking a carrot!

Pretty damned tasty though.....gotta admit it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003R28HWQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The one I got is the one linked above. Cooks Illustrated's winner. Worked great for the first run and was a whole lot quieter than expected. We will be doing batches on the weekends and perhaps another run on Wednesday's, since most non-preservative drinks spoil after 3 days (Unless we can freeze them. Don't know about that yet...have not researched).

Today, I will try one of my all time favorite juices - bananas, pineapple and orange juice. This time homemade and not in a cardboard box from Dole. Next up for me will be pink lemonade. Here's what I was wondering. You folks are into seemingly everything else, so I figured I would ask here. Do you have any recipes that are your go-to or even better, have you ever tried infusing alcohol into a juiced drink?

If so, whatcha got? Talk to me...

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I daily use a Nutri-Bullet, strain the pulp, add a touch pure honey and nascent Iodine.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Problem is you're missing all the good fiber in said fruits and veggies.
    Flip side not a ton of sodium like v8 stuff or others.
    I'd too try it for awhile.
  • xschop
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Problem is you're missing all the good fiber in said fruits and veggies.
    Flip side not a ton of sodium like v8 stuff or others.
    I'd too try it for awhile.

Depends on the micron of strainer. Its all in the inulin concentration. Fiber is for neophites lol.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Well, seeing how I very rarely EVER eat fruits? This is a good way to introduce some of the nutrients into my system. Veggies I am golden on, I eat lots of those....it's just the fruits. I might be lucky to eat 5 grapes in a month. That's been the case for most of my life.

Fiber is not an issue because I have to eat lots of it to prevent "something" from happening to me. I forget the term but it has to do with pockets in your stomach or posterior tract...something like that.

I went today and bought things that I have NEVER bought in my life. Pears, mangos, pumpkins (that I will actually eat), raspberries, strawberries, turmeric, ginger and a Golden melon. I'll add that stuff into the things my wife bought the other day. Getting ready right now to do the pineapple, orange banana thing. We'll see how that turns out. I love the Dole concoction but don't want all the sugars they add to it. I mean, if a carrot can taste good with an apple and orange, I'm pretty positive I can make a good drink out of what I like already.

Xschop. I don't know about the micron of the strainer on this model but it looks pretty small. I like the idea of adding a touch of honey but what is nascent Iodine?

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Tom,
    The juiced fruit has to be consumed with fiber at the same time. Otherwise, drinking straight juice without the fiber is like drinking a coke. Your body processes those sugars differently when fiber is present.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • xschop
    Options
    There are many diseases and syndromes associated with Thyroid hormone deficiencies. Iodine at atomic level is only used by the thyroid gland and can only be obtained from foods, most of which are depleted of iodine due to modern farming. Unless you are eating say, sea kelp or prunes, you don't get much if any in your diet.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Thanks, Tony. I just ordered this...

61JabDGExTL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    So, I have mixed up 7 different juices for the next couple of days (or Cokes, as Tony said). I liked every one of them so far but the one I did with the orange peel. That one didn't taste so good.

Can you add in fiber naturally or is it gone with the juicing as well and the only thing you can do is fiber powder? Forgive me and my ignorance on this subject, I am only 24 or so hours in to this...

Tom
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I had a real expensive juicer that removed all of the solids which is not good. It was a pain to clean as well, so Itossed it. I use a nutribullet now, steak shakes are awsome!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Fiber shmiber. The power is in the juice. If you need fiber eat a rug. Or the soluble fiber in apples is adequate
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Tom..... I'll mix your shake and then bitchslap you
  • treitz3
    Options
    I love it when you talk dirty big boy...

Tom
  • tonyb
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Fiber shmiber. The power is in the juice. If you need fiber eat a rug. Or the soluble fiber in apples is adequate

The power is in the combined juice and fiber. Juice without the fiber is all sugar. You want to gain weight easily, keep drinking just juice. If your on the cusp of being a diabetic, having hypertension/high blood pressure....drinking straight juice is not going to help your cause. Or if you have arthritis, inflammation issues.

Juicing veggies may be more beneficial. Then throw in a little fruit to make it taste acceptable.

Had a juicer myself and got rid of it. What you have to spend in produce to get a quart of juice is just crazy. Then you have all the pulp left over, which is where the fiber is, and what are you suppose to do with that ? It was the juice that made the fiber taste good, and you just separated it.

Probably better to invest in something like a Vita-mix, throw whole pieces of fruit in there. I'm not one either to sit down and eat a bowl of fruit, but I'm learning to. Berries specifically, bananas, Avocado.

Tom, I'm wondering what the point is, if your going to throw away the good fiber in fruit, then pay money for a separate fiber supplement to replace it. If you want to get some fruit in your diet, start with berries. Blueberries/blackberries are the easiest to just eat a cup full. Orange juice....get the fresh squeezed with pulp, add a few ounces of pomegranate juice to it.....no vodka bro. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,001
    Options
    Cold press vs centrifugal is the key to retaining nutrients, but it looks like the Breville is cold-press, so good there. As Tony has alluded, fruits in general have a lot of sugar (as do carrots), so it's easy to go overboard on the glucose without realizing it.

My wife used a cold-press juicer for quite a while, and couldn't lose weight. I kept (gently) mentioning that it was because of all the fruits she used in her juicing. I tried not to harp on it too much.

Anyway, I agree with Tony that focusing on veggies is the best approach, and only use a little fruit for sweetness. Celery (or celery root) is a good one to add for a little different taste. Celery stalk can REALLY foul the works in your juicer, though, so celery stalk may be preferable.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • tonyb
    Options
    Amen brother, but as far as celery goes, Tom is the type to get that one in his Bloody Mary. :D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I'm weird in the way that I do not eat fruits at all. I absolutely DESPISE a strawberry, while at the same time, Strawberry is one of my favorite jellies and I don't mind them at all in a drink. I ate a strawberry once and that was all it took for me. The rest went into the trash and haven't had one since. I akin it to liver. Just can't stand it. A banana is about the only thing I'll eat raw and perhaps a couple of grapes.

Besides fruits that you wouldn't think is a fruit, like tomatoes. I eat them like they are going out of style and always double up when making a sandwich. Another one would be an avocado. I eat avocados like they are going out of style.

Fruit salads? Yeah, not gonna happen.

Jodi, I think the Breville is a centrifugal. It has a press but it just pushes whatever you put into the chute down to a spinning chopper/mesh thing.

I have a Ninja full sized blender and a Magic Bullet I can throw whole foods into and mix up with the fiber and the juice. It sounds like that may help a bit, especially with the fiber.

Tony, the point to me is to get the nutrients of fruit into my diet. I do drink Simply Orange (with Vodka) and Apple juice (alone) on occasion but I've heard the sugar in those products is off the top high. Watermelon *maybe* once a year if I'm lucky. Other than the occasional grape or banana? I really don't get any fruits. I have no idea how I haven't gotten scurvy over the years...LOL Arrrr

I'll be turning 50 next year....it's about time I start thinking a little healthier but this in no way, shape or form means that I am going hog-wild and drastically changing the way I eat. Just small steps toward a healthier diet.....and perhaps a little less drinking (I wish myself luck with that one)

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    I do eat celery with Chicken wings. Does that count?

Tom
  • tonyb
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I hear ya Tom, was pretty much in the same boat when I was 50. It's a slow adjustment, but one that needs to be done if you want to avoid the operating table.

That's why I suggested berries, easy to get used to, loaded with good stuff. Sometimes I put them on oatmeal, sometimes just in a small cup as a snack while watching TV.

For me, it's always been a yin/yang thing. Honestly assessing your eating habits, how much exercise you get, if you smoke or not, and how you feel generally. I adjust on the fly sometimes, if I eat like crap one day, the next 3 I eat good. It's an offset thing, you have to offset the bad with the good, and put more weight to the good side. Don't deprive yourself of any of your favorite foods, that just creates cravings and binge eating. Instead, use smaller portions and just not as often.

If your eating a lot of veggies, give yourself a gold star, most don't.

Men our ages, have to be concerned more so with the fat and sugar intake. There's good fat and bad fat, learn the difference bro. Could be the difference of having a heart attack or not.

Sugar is sugar, no matter the form, but when consumed with fiber such as a piece of fruit, your body treats it a bit differently. That's why removing the fiber and drinking straight juice, it's all sugar bro, and your going to pack on the pounds. This is why sugar is different in fruit, than a piece of candy. Now the hard part for you, booze. Too much is bad, alcohol turns into sugar, so you might want to moderate that. If you know next Friday your going to a party and obviously tip a few more than you should, cut back on the sugar days before, and days after. Balance bro keep a balance.

Remember, 2 things- fat and sugar, fat and sugar, fat and sugar.

The good fats with fiber, is also going to help keep those arteries clean, blood pressure stabilized. I see your fiber has flax seed in it too, excellent choice btw.

I might also add, if your taste buds just can't do the fruit thing, maybe just take it in a supplement form. Just throwing that out as an option, my brother from another mother. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    @treitz3 you got me craving some liver and onions! With a strawberry compote?
  • treitz3
    Options
    *runs to toilet to throw up*

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »

LOVE liver and onions ❤️❤️❤️👌
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited November 2019
    Options
    You realize that the liver is like an oil filter that never gets changed.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    edited November 2019
    Options

You're being far to generous in the livers description.... More like the filter for a toxic waste dump
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • krazypolk
    Options
    I give my liver plenty of nice clean beer.
  • tonyb
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

You're being far to generous in the livers description.... More like the filter for a toxic waste dump

Your both right, and even though you can't change that filter, you can clean it. Unfortunately booze in excess is probably the number one way to damage that filter.

Only 3 ways for toxins to leave your body, breathing /sweating/ and pooping. If the liver can't do it's thing, the toxins go back out into the blood stream where it circulates to other parts of the body and does damage. Also why people feel good after a good work out/exercise, they're breathing deeply and sweating. You also feel great after taking a good dump, right ? :)

The body is a miraculous thing, it's self healing and self regulating. Just needs a little help from you to continuously do that. Too bad our western culture diets don't exactly help it in that way. Think about that next time your about to finish that family size bag of Doritos. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    Options

yea yea yea... Who here likes Oysters on the half shell <3<3<3
    I can eat those my the multi dozens.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Dude, the wife and I can polish off 4 dozen no problem, love 'em.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »

LOVE liver and onions ❤️❤️❤️👌

That might explain why I never see a girl on your arm bro.... :D:D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Oysters on the half and some horseradish, yummy.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.