LS-90 binding posts

doctorg
doctorg Posts: 29
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
In ordering new speaker cable, do I order 1/4 or 5/16 spuds? Does anyone with a set of these have them bi-wired? How has this worked for you? What cable model & brand? Inquiring (clueless) minds want to know.
Skip
Post edited by doctorg on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited April 2002
    I don't care for spades, you have to wrench down on the binding post just to keep them in.Banana's are the way to go.They pop right in and pop in your amp...easy.
    What kind of wire and biwiring question.............thats a tuff one.I reallt can't answer that completly as you might like one wire over the next.But if money is an issue, use Monstercable mcx series biwire cables.They sound great, you can actually afford them,they look good.And you can change the end's they screw on.Very nice.
    You also can move up the ladder with M1.4'sI owned them and made a big improvement over the MCX wire.
    Now I'm lock up on Transparent.Transparent is very expensive but worth it.You need 2 buy the right wire for your speaker's.Don't over due it or under due it.
    You speaker's will respond nicely to biwireing.They are one of Polk's better sounding speaker's made in a long time.A buddy of mine still has his and I can't seem to con him out of them(dam it!!!).
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • doctorg
    edited April 2002
    Thanks much for the help...I've never used bananas on speakers, but I agree about the binding-that's one reason that I was concerned that maybe I had the post size wrong. Once I get things hooked up, I'll do a post and let everyone know how it worked and what I used.
    Skip
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited April 2002
    sometimes you have to use the combination of both, banana and something else, in my case I don't have enough space in the back of my 39TX receiver for the banana plugs only( the receiver only allow you to use one set of banana plugs, and I can not use the spade connection either, no problem on the speaker side...( I used the MC M speaker cables on both L/R speakers and the center channel (bi-wiring).
  • doctorg
    edited April 2002
    Since I'm ordering new speaker cables, I can get them with spades for the reveiver, and bananas for speakers to let me bi-wire, otherwise I'd have a problem at the receiver end.
    LAT cables will let you have your choice of spades in 1/4 or 5/16, locking 'nanas or pin lugs.
    Skip
  • PETERNG
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by doctorg
    I can get them with spades for the reveiver, and bananas for speakers to let me bi-wire, otherwise I'd have a problem at the receiver end.

Please check to make sure at your receiver end, it does allow to accept the spade connector,on some receivers like the Pioneer Elite, you can't use spade at all...
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2002
    Where you been, brotha?? Hope all is well.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • PETERNG
    edited April 2002
    Troy
    Still alive and well here in OKC, didn't know you took a tour of Texas, my neighboring state, next time, let me know if you have a chance to visit OKC, I will roll out the red carpet...Thanx
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2002
    will do, I did get up to McKinney and imposed on Russ for a weekend.....good to see you hanging around.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    **** Pete, you should have come down, I had no idea you were in Oklahoma.... Hell, I could walk to Oklahoma, well, not really....

I say go with spades, I like banana too, but spade is a good, tight connection. Most bananas I have worked with pop in and out real easy, and thats not something I want in my rig(s)....

As far as signal transfer, there are too many other variables to say if one is better than the other.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • PETERNG
    edited April 2002
    Russman
    Anytime Russ, coming up, I here in Oklahoma city, in fact, I came down to Dallas several times a year, incl Austin, Houston and San Antonio. Just let me know and I will do the same, what part of TX are you in???

I agreed, spade connection is good, I used them whenever the situation allows, right now I used both banana and spade connectors and the cables I used have the flexibility of changing to any of available connectors.

Troy
    Your mail box is not big enough for a case of Dixie, plus Dixie beer comes from the Bayou area, email me, we can work out this deal: nguyendot@msn.com
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2002
    McKinney, halfway between Dallas and the Ok border....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • PETERNG
    edited April 2002
    You're kidding me...damm, I passed place many times in the past, okie, I will let you know when my next trip is...BTW, I heard you're looking for a Pre-amp, I got a Yamaha Pre-amp here if you want to take a look, don't worry about the financial part... just let me know...
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    My MIT bananas connect so-so to my Sony ES receiver (part of the problem), but on the speaker end they are nice and snug.

Aaron
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2002
    Bananas. They plug into my Marantz receiver nice and tight, almost too tight. But, tighter is better smiley_sex.gif sometimes.

Peace out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • doctorg
    edited April 2002
    No matter what I do on the speaker end, I'll use spades on the receiver. I agree bananas do pull out easily, and it's too darn hard to reach 'em.
    Skip
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2002
    Shoot me an email, I don't have yours....

russcgates@attbi.com

Cheers,
    Russ
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited April 2002
    I can tell you right now that spades will not work on almost every receiver made.There are some that can like B&K and rotel.
    All japan's (except rotel)receiver's can only take bare wire or banana's.Trust me when i say this spades are a pain, if you never used them before, you will end up hating them if you try to use them on a receiver.I don't even use then on B&K or Rotel receiver that can take them in.Some people however perfer them for whatever there reason's are but they are usually found going on a power amp,not a receiver.
    What do you own and I will tell you if spades will work or not.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • BBUBBA
    BBUBBA Posts: 66
    edited April 2002
    My 2 cents worth .......Banana Are better plus when you bi wire to your power source you simply insert one banana plug into the other . Or if your power source can handle a 4ohm load do it the same way . just double them at the speaker 5 way posts. I think the only reason some people enjoy spades is they can be soldered in. but I have never had a banana plug losen on me , but the spades will sure loosen over time , get that bass going and they will losen up for sure. ;)I have found some cheap banana plugs that fit some waht loose have bent them open more for a tighter fit ran 250 watts per channel continuous without a hitch.
  • doctorg
    edited April 2002
    I'm using a Sony DA50ES now, but strongly considering changing to Rotel 1066 pre-amp, and 1095 amp. can honestly say that I never thought about being about to plug one 'nana into the other at the receiver end...I like it and it's kinky..........
    Skip