vintage Polk brochures, anyone have any?

K_M
K_M Posts: 1,627
edited October 2019 in Vintage Speakers
Does anyone have any scanned they could post in a thread?
Or are there any threads showing the Polk line up from the mid 80s to early 90s

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    Plenty of them posted in this section.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Hermitism wrote: »

my collection is distressingly limited.

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited October 2019
    NM..
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    The Monitor 5s I sold @dromunds had original box and manual. I don't know that Don has a scanner though.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • K_M
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Hermitism wrote: »

my collection is distressingly limited.

We had a few, but can not find them
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Nightfall wrote: »
    The Monitor 5s I sold @dromunds had original box and manual. I don't know that Don has a scanner though.

I have a scanner but at the moment its not playing nice. I'll see what I can do. I have M7 stuff too, maybe some other.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Not brochures per se but still the beginnings of a trip down memory lane that may be of interest.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/180156/a-project-for-2018-compendium-of-polk-audio-ads-etc/p1

The scans at https://www.americanradiohistory.com/index.htm are searchable now, so finding more Polk memorabilia there now should be pretty straightforward.

froeahd2w7z7.png
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    8t4fg5xkmrcn.jpg
    07b6js6i7rb7.jpg
    k9om2kznls0q.jpg
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    jlzvtgg1eun5.jpg
    s4jlrtrzkjor.jpg
    6gmky6tns32b.jpg
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    5mli38z8j2tk.jpg
    t08lget9gxob.jpg
    bid9hynt88zz.jpg
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    tepw0or9x7e6.jpg
    sugyubieog88.jpg
    31hxe7ne2lua.jpg
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    tkl29jl67coa.jpg
    6zpejwxb6jop.jpg
    r0c0iqmq66lt.jpg
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    a73bw4i45pm9.jpg
    eko59pdvhb9z.jpg
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Sorry if I double pictured some of these. I have more out in garage I dont have scanner/copier. Ex took it. Have no problem emailing copy's from library or wherever
    Randy/Maine
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    I have posted several in the past and document compiling info on many Polk vintage speakers. There should be a stick thread for posting this stuff.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited November 2019
    I saw in the ad for the RTA14 bass speakers the statement at the bottom right recommends them to pair with the RTA12's.

I thought they were perhaps designed to be a set.

The statement says "Ultimate" and I would assume that would be correct. I've heard the RTA12B's for months now. With a 15" sub hooked up and it CAN'T sound any better a few of us have thought.

I've been listening with a LOUDNESS button pushed on the past week or more and the RTA12B's sound fantastic that way too but the added sub or subs would be the way to go I think. That way, the woofers are eased from having to work overtime.

Now I'm dreaming of adding a pr. of RTA14's to add to the 12B's and hear what POLK designers were playing with back then.

It has to be even more MAGICAL than what I'm hearing now. I listened a while again tonight before unplugging everything before a storm blows through tonight.

AGAIN!, they (the RTA12Bs) ARE VERY, VERY IMPRESSIVE INDEED! Life-like sound! ;)B):p<3
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    I am pretty damn sure I have a 2B manual that came with my 2B's. Let me look for it and I will see if I can scan it or at least take a picture of it.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited November 2019
    Just another side note about my Polk RTA12Bs.

I was listening to different Cd's and radio music on 2 different systems today.

I found some Cd's in a changer a couple of weeks ago and one was PF's DSOTM re-mastered. I put it in a nice Denon 3800 player. It's hooked up to my old JVC 5540u receiver right now. With the "loudness" button pushed to "on", the rest of the EQ set to flat, the RTA12b's ROCKED!

Today, the beginning track of that PF CD "Speak to ME's "heart beats" were vibrating things in the room because of the bass those speakers were putting out. Even I was getting hit with thumps. What a great match between receiver and speakers! It doesn't get much better than this!

:)<3
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited November 2019
    Yesss! I feel pretty certain that the RTA12B and C's are the best non SDA vintage Polk's. They are so fantastic. Tony M joins the club, welcome. :)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • K_M
    Tony M wrote: »
    Just another side note about my Polk RTA12Bs.

I was listening to different Cd's and radio music on 2 different systems today.

I found some Cd's in a changer a couple of weeks ago and one was PF's DSOTM re-mastered. I put it in a nice Denon 3800 player. It's hooked up to my old JVC 5540u receiver right now. With the "loudness" button pushed to "on", the rest of the EQ set to flat, the RTA12b's ROCKED!

Today, the beginning track of that PF CD "Speak to ME's "heart beats" were vibrating things in the room because of the bass those speakers were putting out. Even I was getting hit with thumps. What a great match between receiver and speakers! It doesn't get much better than this!

:)<3

Yeah that is truly some loud deep bass,,,just be careful going "too loud" with the volume, that heartbeat can easily over excursion most woofers!
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 520
    It's cool to see that old Polk literature. I have some of the same brochures from when I bought my original RTA-12's back in 1980. A blast from the past. My RTA's have been fully modded (westmassguy crossover re-do and many other structural, acoustical, and electrical modifications) and am impressed with the resolution these speakers are capable of when driven with the right equipment.

Speaking of bass, I'm recently driving these RTA's with a new pair of D-Sonic M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers (with an Ayre K-5xeMP Preamp). I was emailing recently with westmassguy and he was saying that these speakers thrive on high current amplifiers. These outstanding amplifiers effortlessly crank out 800 watts each (8ohms). The bass they extract from these speakers is new territory for me. It's not bloated, room overpowering, one-note bass, but articulate, dynamic, tone-accurate, subterranean bass. The RTA's will produce deep pedal-note tones that you feel more than you hear. What I'm really liking about the D-Sonics is their ability to convey "presence" throughout the entire musical spectrum at very low volume. These amps are a great match for these speakers apparently. Also, I have no association with D-Sonic, I'm just a happy customer.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses