Polk sda tweeter bad

Hi, im new to thus forum. Just picked up some sda 1's and the right tweeters seem bad. Is it a hard replacement and if anyone on the forum has the sl000 gerys i woild be interested.

Thanks and glad to be a part of this forum

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    edited October 2019
    Right tweeters? Do you have the SDA cable hooked up? Without using the SDA cable the outside (dimensional) tweeters are not going to work. Most of us disable them either by taking out the fuse (if your set has them) or by removing the hook up wires and taping them up so the do not short.
    Without using the cable the dimensional woofer also is disabled.

Welcome to the club
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    PolkK wrote: »
    Hi, im new to thus forum. Just picked up some sda 1's and the right tweeters seem bad. Is it a hard replacement and if anyone on the forum has the sl000 gerys i woild be interested.

Thanks and glad to be a part of this forum

Welcome! Ivan is correct as always :smile: Post some pics!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • PolkK
    PolkK Posts: 10
    Thanks for the quick response. I do have the cable hooked up and tried switching tweeters between then speakers and they are defintely not functioning. Rooms im disarray but heres the first pics.s2uqyral0k4a.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    Those SDA1b or are they SDA1c? Either way the sl1000 are not the correct tweeters. Is the interconnect a Blade/blade or Pin/blade.
    You need to give more details and information so we can help you better.
    1. The tweeters are not functioning in either speaker.
    2. You moved known good tweeters into the speaker and they do not fuction either?
  • PolkK
    Yea i know they are not but it was the only pair of spares i had on hand to try and switch out and when they are plugged in they work. No idea on the model the serial is basically gone.
    Lol i know la it looks like a **** hole right now hahahaha
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Those are 1B's. The silver faced SL1000 tweeters are the wrong ones. There is a polyswitch (thermal reset device) on the crossover for tweeter protection that has likely gone competely bad preventing any signal from reaching the tweeters.

SDA speakers should be 5 to 6 inches off the back wall, NO TOE IN, 6 to 8 feet apart and 3 feet from any side wall.

You're going to kill that receiver if you leave it on the carpet with no open space above it. It, like you, needs to breath.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PolkK
    Will take a pic of the sda cable inputs when im out of work
  • pitdogg2
    It is easy to tell if you pull your drivers. SDA1b had all MW6509 drivers. SDA1c had 2 stereo MW6510 and 2 dimensional drivers MW6511. Stereo drivers are inside drivers and dimensional are outside drivers.

OK so you have not really answered questions clearly. So I'm just going to state you have two blown tweeters on one speaker. Where are you located? What are you running them with, Receiver or amp ?
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    I’m surprised that receiver hasn’t caught on fire yet !
    😩

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • PolkK
    Yes the speaker with the sl1000s has both blown tweeters. I am running them with a parasound a23. Im located in nevada. I am a total newbie so sorry if the info is not complete.
  • PolkK
    The receiver on the ground is just an extra one i have cause i couldnt afford storage anymore.
  • PolkK
    One has this the other no infot7c24l37qs9r.jpg
    povbenhx90v4.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    PolkK wrote: »
    Yes the speaker with the sl1000s has both blown tweeters. I am running them with a parasound a23. Im located in nevada. I am a total newbie so sorry if the info is not complete.

Do the SL1000 tweeters work in the speaker? Newbie or not you are not helping with half answering questions and mostly incoherent posts as to the questions asked.

So sans complete answers to question asked I will go with F1nut and say if the SL1000 tweeters are not working in that speaker then it's because the polyswitch is no good.

• PolkK
    The sl1000s are working perfectly. The sl2000s that it came with are not working at all.
  • PolkK
    I swear im trying my best to answer whats asked but besides loving the sound of a polk i know little to nothing about speakers.