Chernobyl

The Blu-Ray for this series arrived this week, and I started watching episode one tonight. Yikes. I have to take a music break and calm down. What a freaking mess.
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,297
    That’s a great series. Intriguing, terrifying and heartbreaking...

It gets worse before it gets better, so plan a lot of music breaks.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Just finished episode one. What a mess. All those poor people living in the adjacent city, and they have no idea what is occurring.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Checkout the podcasts. Really interesting from the showrunners. As interesting as the series.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUeHPCYtWYQ&t=20s
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    I can't recall which occurred first, the Chernobyl meltdown or LILCO deciding not to put Shoreham online? Doesn't really matter, I am thankful the latter happened no matter what...
    Either way, watching Episode 1 was chilling. I always wondered how close they really came to contaminating half the country, and how much we'll never really know.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    Some people say Chernobyl had more of an impact on the Soviet system collapsing from within than any other single factor. That’s how serious the incident really was seen by Russian leaders. The series is a case study of what happens in a society that’s corrupt and kept functioning through fear from top to bottom.

There are plenty of heroes in the story who are well represented in the series, including the miners and others who did things knowing full well they would die by doing them.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    So I had a chance to watch a couple of episodes on the plane back from Vegas yesterday. Wow! So far, a couple of episodes in, I'm hooked. Now I gotta buy the blu-ray, since I don't have HBO! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • BlueFox
    The Blue Ray picture quality and sound is better than TV. Plus there is no telling when HBO will show it again. I’ve watched mine three times.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • verb
    BlueFox wrote: »
    The Blue Ray picture quality and sound is better than TV. Plus there is no telling when HBO will show it again. I’ve watched mine three times.

Yep for sure. And on the plane a lot of the show/movies are edited, which is why I'm usually reluctant to watch anything while flying.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Yup!
    One of the best mini-series ever made in my opinion, especially since it's based on facts.

The end statements are a must watch!

It was on Sat.. The whole series. I came upon it around the second episode. The wife and I were hooked again and watched it till the end. 3rd time for me, 2nd time for her.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    Tony M wrote: »
    Yup!
    One of the best mini-series ever made in my opinion, especially since it's based on facts.

It was on Sat.. The whole series. I came upon it around the second episode. The wife and I were hooked again and watched it till the end. 3rd time for me, 2nd time for her.

Great. Now I gotta get out of my pajama's and head out to the store! :smile:
  • BlueFox
    verb wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »
    Yup!

Great. Now I gotta get out of my pajama's and head out to the store! :smile:

LOL. It’s called Amazon. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • My wife and I watched this series a while back. Very interesting and heartbreaking.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • verb
    Just finished the remainder. Great show! Heartbreaking for sure. Worth watching more than once!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,555
    We learned a lot on reactor design from the Idaho Falls accident of 1961.
    The event killed all the operators on duty. It was a mini-reactor, so the scope
    Wasn't anything like Chernobyl. Hard lessons from this changed a lot of
    Future designs.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    polrbehr wrote: »
    I can't recall which occurred first, the Chernobyl meltdown or LILCO deciding not to put Shoreham online? Doesn't really matter, I am thankful the latter happened no matter what...
    Either way, watching Episode 1 was chilling. I always wondered how close they really came to contaminating half the country, and how much we'll never really know.
    I was a project manager in NYC mid 80s. I had several conversations with tradesmen that worked on the Shoreham plant. From what I remember, they all said it would never open. There were so many cost overruns and delays. All the plumbing was so badly corroded from seawater, it would have required replacement, along with all the cooling pumps. They never even developed a proper evacuation plan for the area.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • verb
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    We learned a lot on reactor design from the Idaho Falls accident of 1961.
    The event killed all the operators on duty. It was a mini-reactor, so the scope
    Wasn't anything like Chernobyl. Hard lessons from this changed a lot of
    Future designs.

Thanks for sharing. I did not know about this incident. Horrific how the operators died.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL-1
  • verb
    polrbehr wrote: »
    I was a project manager in NYC mid 80s. I had several conversations with tradesmen that worked on the Shoreham plant. From what I remember, they all said it would never open. There were so many cost overruns and delays. All the plumbing was so badly corroded from seawater, it would have required replacement, along with all the cooling pumps. They never even developed a proper evacuation plan for the area.

Another learning moment for me. Thank you @polrbehr ! Dave you are correct as it appears that the evacuation plans for the local communities were insufficient and thus never approved.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoreham_Nuclear_Power_Plant
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825

+ 1 to that. I was an electrician back then, and had contact with several people who also worked there in some capacity, and they were all of the opinion that Shoreham should never open. I heard one story about guys that worked there and all they did was rip down walls one day and rebuild them the next; I can't say for certain if that's true but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

There were also popular bumper stickers back then that said - DON'T HONK, I'm evacuating as fast as I can!
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • sucks2beme
    What also scared me was how the crew of the sub Nautilus fixed
    a core water leak. They poured a whole lot of bar's leaks in the system.
    That's not even a good idea for a car.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited December 2019
    There are many "Accidents" that no one knows about. Windscale in Britain. Who knew? The local residents didn't.
    Back on topic, Chernobyl was a truly excellent series. Some poetic license was taken, and the actual cause is still disputed, but the acting, pacing, and writing, were all top notch.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,449
    Great series, shows how screwed up the USSR was. I watched it 3 times and my wife once.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.Family Room:Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA, Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB .Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15Sub: SVS SB2000 Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • verb
    I thought this was also an interesting show on PBS. IIRC now on Netflix or Amazon. How the containment building was built and then moved into position.
    zufk8l5315bp.png

vbkffmyk8320.png
  • sucks2beme
    That whole area of the country will be unsafe for hundreds of years.
    They came close to **** up a whole lot of countries. A lot of countries including ours had to foot the bill for this new building. Thanks, Russia.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,960
    I was in Finland within nine months or something like that of Chernobyl. I can tell you that all the Scandinavians were still mighty freaked out. I was told about the massive radioactive cloud that went over a huge area, including Lappland. They had to dump all the milk, lots of reindeer and other animals died too IIRC. They were extremely worried about the worst of outcomes. I watched the Chernobyl series and thought it was an excellent series.