PSA Windom Update

JayCee
JayCee Posts: 1,474
edited October 2019 in Going Digital
@Moose68Bash Hey, Phil. Have you loaded the DirectStream Windom firmware, yet? Curious as to your thoughts (and your wife's! :smiley:) if you have.

Anyone else?

John
Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Comments

• JayCee
    @kharp1, Kerry...you, too?
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Don't think they have it for the JR yet no?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • JayCee
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I haven't yet, but will soon.
  • JayCee
    Just a little nudge....make it sooner than later ;)
  • erniejade
    Sweet. I need to read up on how to update it. Unit is new for me.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • JayCee
    edited October 2019
    erniejade wrote: »
    Sweet. I need to read up on how to update it. Unit is new for me.

Easy enough but there's a bit of history w/problem loads, however, don't let it persuade you to not update. For the record...I've experienced zero problems w/multiple loads.

Basically, for both the Jr and Sr...
    • Download the ZIP'd firmware to a PC
    • Unzip
    • Copy unzipped files to the root directory of a thumb drive for Jr or SD card for Sr
    • *IMPORTANT: ALWAYS "Eject" the thumb drive or SD card before removing from your PC.
    • Fully power down your respective device (Jr/Sr) from the master power switch
    • Power up the Jr or Sr with the drive or card inserted
    • Update takes from a minute to several min's and the power light blinks rapidly
    • Power down Jr/Sr and then delete the files off the respective drives
    • Reinsert drive or card in Jr/Sr and power up
    • Enjoy

Not required but I recommend, and always do so myself, reformatting your respective media before/after a firmware update. Mine's done w/FAT and I've had no issues.

Don't panic reading horror stories on the PSA forum. Vast majority have no issues and, as is most often in life, the small percentage that have them get the most attention.

Happy to help if anyone has questions or does run into a problem.

John
  • kharp1
    I keep a clean, formatted card and download to it, place it in the powered down DAC, turn it on and done. Never a problem.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    JayCee wrote: »
    @Moose68Bash Hey, Phil. Have you loaded the DirectStream Windom firmware, yet? Curious as to your thoughts (and your wife's! :smiley:) if you have.

Anyone else?

John

John,

I've downloaded the SW, but have not yet copied it to an SD card and upgraded my DAC. I shall likely do it this weekend and will comment afterwards.

Phil
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• erniejade
    "Reinsert drive or card in Jr/Sr and power up"

The jr doesn't run with a thumb drive in it normally. So wouldn't i just remove it when its done?
  • JayCee
    "Reinsert drive or card in Jr/Sr and power up"

The jr doesn't run with a thumb drive in it normally. So wouldn't i just remove it when its done?

Sorry, just assumed so. Yes. Sr uses it to store current album art but not required.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited October 2019
    JayCee wrote: »

Anyone else?

John

@JayCee,

I installed the Windom firmware this morning and played Joshua Bell's "Romance of the Violin," followed by the CD of Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio's "Live in Montreux."

I had listened to "Romance of the Violin" immediately before upgrading the firmware.

My first observation was that I needed to lower the volume substantially to render the music at what appeared to be the same listening volume. The sound floor, I concluded, was appreciably lower than with the Snowmass firmware.

My second observation was that all sounds were clearer, both more distinct on the sound stage and more realistic. The timbre of the music from Bell's Stradivarius, which had been very good before, was more like what I would hear in a live performance with the Windom upgrade. Everything about the sound seemed more realistic -- the vibration of the strings, the sounds of the bow on the strings, the attack and decay of each note. In addition, there was an overall musicality or "richness" to the music that was involving and, to my taste, very pleasurable.

With "Live in Montreux" my experience was similar. I was particularly struck by the extraordinary realism of the sounds from Yamamoto's piano -- e.g., the ringing sound of the notes from the upper registers. The "tinkle" of the extremely high notes was as realistic as I've heard from a stereo system. The sound from the strings of Kunimitsu Inaba's bass were equally clear and realistic. And, again, there was a "richness to the overall rendering of the music that was extremely engaging and pleasing.

I didn't tell my wife that I had upgraded the firmware; rather, I decided to wait till she said something or didn't say anything for at least a couple of days.

I didn't have to wait long. This evening she remarked on both the improved sound and the fact that the music was playing at the volume level she prefers but at a much lower number on the volume setting display on my preamp.

She had soundly rejected one of the earlier firmware "upgrades" for the DirectStream, and I had to revert back to the prior version. With Windom, however, she is as pleased as I am.

In summary, I would say that the realism, clarity and depth of the distinct sounds rendered from the individual instruments by the new firmware give the rendering of the musical performance a new level of richness from my system.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• JayCee
    Thanks, Phil (@Moose68Bash), for the detailed evaluation. Based on shared comments for previous releases I understand and appreciate your listening point of view. Only divergence I've had is with Redcloud and the reaction your wife had to it. Although it didn't strike me the same way it did her, I understood her objection. I'm glad to see you pulled a switcheroo and she immediately noticed, it was positive and she is as "pleased" as you are. B)

I loaded Windom the night it was released and have a week of listening. I know your fondness for violin and piano and, also, share your observations on how realistic they now sound. As each version of firmware's been released, I've felt, more or less, things have moved in a positive direction. However, hands down on my gear, Windom is a great transformation.

For anyone that’s read my most recent reviews you’ll know I’ve made several positive moves (to my ears) in gear over the past year. These comments are the most current in this evolution.

My go to CD is Pink Floyd's The Final Cut. I've listened to this album since it was released and really have a feel for the sound and production. It has all the elements of the varied music I listen to; rock, acoustic, orchestra, quiet, loud, dynamic and studio mixed with real world recordings for effect (ie. voices, cars, aircraft, etc.). I’m not saying it’s considered a benchmark recording in the audiophile world, but I’m able to evaluate the album as a whole and also dissect individual parts for analysis. As my system has gotten better, so has this recording.

With Windom, the most striking improvement of The Final Cut is the crystal-clear detail and realism. The backing tracks, used for effect, have come into complete focus. It’s no longer an added part of the story that makes me think, “added for effect”, but equal to the music it supports. It literally floats on the same plane as the music, if this makes sense? The one exception is a recording of a combat aircraft coming in at high speed, followed by an explosion. Kind of a crappy sample with noticeable distortion that I attribute to the recording and not my system. This aside, the end result is I finally understand what it was like to be in the mixing session with Roger Waters and can imagine I’m pretty close to hearing what he did/wanted from inception.

For the folks not familiar with The Final Cut, I immediately played a well-known audiophile recording, The Dark Side of the Moon, SACD/DSD rip, and the effects employed are mind blowing. The man running on “On the Run” is a 3 dimensional extravaganza, the clocks at the beginning of “Time” are realistically startling. The music is rich and detailed.

With respect to soundstage…the 1.2tl’s have always delivered. It’s the space between the soundstage that I’m now enjoying….more. As I type this, I’m listening to Living Stereo’s Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition. Fritz Reiner, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and it sounds phenomenal. There’s depth, pinpoint accuracy of the instruments and a richness to the orchestra.

The previous firmware, Snowmass, in comparison, was very good but I found the midrange a bit subdued and the bass lacking impact. The mids are now filled in and the bass is back to my liking. Also, on previous firmware releases, my SACD/DSD rips sounded soft in comparison to the standard CD rips...to the point that I’d stopped pursuing SACD’s. Windom has changed this and I’m finally hearing, again, SACD for what it can be.

Final comment, overall, is with respect to the DirectStream DAC. Standard (non-hires) CD’s sound phenomenal. Anyone that thinks 44.1 kHz is a limiting factor hasn’t heard a truly good DAC. There’s so much detail locked inside this resolution. No doubt hires formats have the potential for better sound but don’t write-off 44.1. It amazes me that Ted Smith can rewrite the FPGA software and have such positive results. But….it doesn’t surprise me. I have a computer/IT background and understand that any software code can be written/rewritten a million different ways and achieve the same output. However, Ted’s approach to mitigate the processing of said code and it’s affect on sound appears to work.

Lots of chatter that there shouldn’t be this many firmware updates…that the product should’ve been “perfect” from inception. When we seek out a new piece of kit we’re essentially looking for the next iteration of “better”. My take is the DirectStream Sr (and Jr) both have good electrical/mechanical legs to stand on. It’s the FPGA and continued pursuit to improve on the product as a whole that sets it apart. Fact is, I can go back to any release of the firmware, and the sound that first drew me to this piece…but I won’t. Windom is staying.
  • erniejade
    Nice review!. I need to do mine soon.
  • JayCee
    Nice review!. I need to do mine soon.

Thank you. You should...what I've read on the PS Audio site seems to indicate it's an even better update for the Jr!
  • erniejade
    I put the unzipped files on a usb stick. powered off the unit and put the usb into the future upgrade slot. Powered off and back on. Still has snowmass. Did not take the update.

Good news though. the bridge updated itself but thats seperate from the rest. Any suggestions?
  • erniejade
    I also tried a different usb stick, reformatted in fat 32 no dice. Still does up update.
  • JayCee
    edited October 2019
    I also tried a different usb stick, reformatted in fat 32 no dice. Still does up update.

Sorry to see you're having problems.

I'll eat a bit of crow...appear to be a fair amount of hit and miss problems w/the load. Not sure if you're following the threads on the PSA site but you may find something here, if not:

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/windom-installation-technical-problems/

There's a known problem (to Ted Smith and, more importantly, PSA) w/the load code written by the original in-house software developer for PSA (fired, years ago, and not Ted Smith). Unfortunately, it's not 100% understood why some units work and others don't.

Download an earlier firmware, say Huron, and try it. Then, if it takes, try Windom. Also, try a full format vs. quick format of the USB stick if you did the later. That doesn't work....try formatting on a different Windows machine if you have one.

What I've read on the Windom threads seems to indicate persistence and trying various combos eventually works. I've contacted the PSA customer service guys in the past, very responsive, so definitely give them a call if needed. Don't give up. I believe it'll be worth the effort.

Edit to add....disconnect all input sources on the Jr. (I2S, USB, Network (Bridge), etc.) prior to updating and make sure your "power off" is the master switch on the back panel, not the button on the front of the unit.
    7lfv68pmaabo.png
  • JayCee
    Another thought. From PSA's "How to reformat a USB stick" https://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-reformat-a-usb-stick/

PSA instructs to use FAT32, as you did, but I just pulled my SD card (4GB) and verified it's formatted FAT. Not sure if SD vs USB is relevant but I have many firmware loads and they've all taken. If you have the option for FAT when you format USB it's worth a try. Also, I'd use the lowest capacity USB drive you have.

FYI...http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/protocols-formats/difference-between-fat-and-fat32/
  • JayCee
    edited October 2019
    DSkip wrote: »
    It seems to me that it'd be a great marketing move to INCLUDE a formatted USB drive with the sale of the unit so people can properly update the unit without turning somersaults. They're cheap enough now where they could easily absorb that cost.

LOL. Don't have the Jr, so not sure if it comes with one, but agree for the coin they should include one if they tout upgrade ability as a major selling point. My Sr. came w/an SD card. In that same vain...PSA really needs to address QC. I'm really happy with my gear, as are many other folks, but, IMO, they rely heavily on their "customer service" to address what may often be internal quality control problems.

I'm a computer guy by trade and issues with computers, DAC is a purpose built computer, don't rattle me but the general population doesn't take well to PC hocus pocus. Current problems w/this load don't bode well for PSA if the internet is the only way to research/obtain their products.
  • kharp1
    I have the Directstream DAC and it uses an SD card. I'm not sure they could make it any easier with the "how to" video and easy step by step instruction.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I played a CD today. Sounded really good.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    lightman1 wrote: »

Yea mine did too ;)
  • erniejade
    I tried a smaller usb stick and a slow format. Next time i will unplug the ethernet to the bridge.
  • lightman1
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Yea mine did too ;)

Did you put the sTwee cord into the phone app and download the updorted V.jayjay signus just to play that one song?
    If not.. You're just a piece of shire that knows nothing that is music.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    You're just a piece of shire that knows nothing that is music.

Right? Ivan probably likes Cannibal Corpse.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • lightman1
    Nightfall wrote: »

Right!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Nightfall wrote: »

Right!

Listen to some real music brah. ;)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Cannibal Corpse has some good tunes.

tt3q2pdegtfg.png
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • JayCee
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I have the Directstream DAC and it uses an SD card. I'm not sure they could make it any easier with the "how to" video and easy step by step instruction.

Have you loaded Windom?