PSA Windom Update

JayCeeJayCee Posts: 564
edited October 4 in Going Digital
@Moose68Bash Hey, Phil. Have you loaded the DirectStream Windom firmware, yet? Curious as to your thoughts (and your wife's! :smiley:) if you have.

Anyone else?

John
Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, Perfectwave DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: Core Power Technologies EQUI=CORE 1800 Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends FLAC Streamer: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Comments

• JayCeeJayCee Posts: 564
    @kharp1, Kerry...you, too?
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, Perfectwave DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: Core Power Technologies EQUI=CORE 1800 Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends FLAC Streamer: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 4,998
    Don't think they have it for the JR yet no?
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

• kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,342
    I haven't yet, but will soon.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Just a little nudge....make it sooner than later ;)
    Sweet. I need to read up on how to update it. Unit is new for me.
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

edited October 4
    erniejade wrote: »
    Sweet. I need to read up on how to update it. Unit is new for me.

Easy enough but there's a bit of history w/problem loads, however, don't let it persuade you to not update. For the record...I've experienced zero problems w/multiple loads.

Basically, for both the Jr and Sr...
    • Download the ZIP'd firmware to a PC
    • Unzip
    • Copy unzipped files to the root directory of a thumb drive for Jr or SD card for Sr
    • *IMPORTANT: ALWAYS "Eject" the thumb drive or SD card before removing from your PC.
    • Fully power down your respective device (Jr/Sr) from the master power switch
    • Power up the Jr or Sr with the drive or card inserted
    • Update takes from a minute to several min's and the power light blinks rapidly
    • Power down Jr/Sr and then delete the files off the respective drives
    • Reinsert drive or card in Jr/Sr and power up
    • Enjoy

Not required but I recommend, and always do so myself, reformatting your respective media before/after a firmware update. Mine's done w/FAT and I've had no issues.

Don't panic reading horror stories on the PSA forum. Vast majority have no issues and, as is most often in life, the small percentage that have them get the most attention.

Happy to help if anyone has questions or does run into a problem.

John
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,342
    I keep a clean, formatted card and download to it, place it in the powered down DAC, turn it on and done. Never a problem.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
  • Moose68BashMoose68Bash Posts: 3,597
    JayCee wrote: »
    @Moose68Bash Hey, Phil. Have you loaded the DirectStream Windom firmware, yet? Curious as to your thoughts (and your wife's! :smiley:) if you have.

Anyone else?

John

John,

I've downloaded the SW, but have not yet copied it to an SD card and upgraded my DAC. I shall likely do it this weekend and will comment afterwards.

Phil
    Family Room, PS Audio PW Transport, DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II; AQ Sky XLRs, McIntosh MC 220 Tube Pre; AQ Sky XLRs, CAT 600.2 Dualmono Amp, Morrow SP7 Speaker Cables, SDA SRS 1.2tls (RD0198s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: "The Abbot" Monastery-Level Xovers, Custom Internal Wiring, Binding Post Plates, & SDA ICs).

Exercise Room, Wadia 171 iPod Dock, PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux PMF3150 Amp, Dreadnought, Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables, SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers).

Synology 713+ NAS on Gigabit LAN serving PW MkII DAC & DirectStream DAC.
    "Reinsert drive or card in Jr/Sr and power up"

The jr doesn't run with a thumb drive in it normally. So wouldn't i just remove it when its done?

"Reinsert drive or card in Jr/Sr and power up"

The jr doesn't run with a thumb drive in it normally. So wouldn't i just remove it when its done?

Sorry, just assumed so. Yes. Sr uses it to store current album art but not required.
  • Moose68BashMoose68Bash Posts: 3,597
    edited October 6
    JayCee wrote: »

Anyone else?

John

@JayCee,

I installed the Windom firmware this morning and played Joshua Bell's "Romance of the Violin," followed by the CD of Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio's "Live in Montreux."

I had listened to "Romance of the Violin" immediately before upgrading the firmware.

My first observation was that I needed to lower the volume substantially to render the music at what appeared to be the same listening volume. The sound floor, I concluded, was appreciably lower than with the Snowmass firmware.

My second observation was that all sounds were clearer, both more distinct on the sound stage and more realistic. The timbre of the music from Bell's Stradivarius, which had been very good before, was more like what I would hear in a live performance with the Windom upgrade. Everything about the sound seemed more realistic -- the vibration of the strings, the sounds of the bow on the strings, the attack and decay of each note. In addition, there was an overall musicality or "richness" to the music that was involving and, to my taste, very pleasurable.

With "Live in Montreux" my experience was similar. I was particularly struck by the extraordinary realism of the sounds from Yamamoto's piano -- e.g., the ringing sound of the notes from the upper registers. The "tinkle" of the extremely high notes was as realistic as I've heard from a stereo system. The sound from the strings of Kunimitsu Inaba's bass were equally clear and realistic. And, again, there was a "richness to the overall rendering of the music that was extremely engaging and pleasing.

I didn't tell my wife that I had upgraded the firmware; rather, I decided to wait till she said something or didn't say anything for at least a couple of days.

I didn't have to wait long. This evening she remarked on both the improved sound and the fact that the music was playing at the volume level she prefers but at a much lower number on the volume setting display on my preamp.

She had soundly rejected one of the earlier firmware "upgrades" for the DirectStream, and I had to revert back to the prior version. With Windom, however, she is as pleased as I am.

In summary, I would say that the realism, clarity and depth of the distinct sounds rendered from the individual instruments by the new firmware give the rendering of the musical performance a new level of richness from my system.
    Family Room, PS Audio PW Transport, DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II; AQ Sky XLRs, McIntosh MC 220 Tube Pre; AQ Sky XLRs, CAT 600.2 Dualmono Amp, Morrow SP7 Speaker Cables, SDA SRS 1.2tls (RD0198s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: "The Abbot" Monastery-Level Xovers, Custom Internal Wiring, Binding Post Plates, & SDA ICs).

Exercise Room, Wadia 171 iPod Dock, PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux PMF3150 Amp, Dreadnought, Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables, SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers).

Synology 713+ NAS on Gigabit LAN serving PW MkII DAC & DirectStream DAC.
    Thanks, Phil (@Moose68Bash), for the detailed evaluation. Based on shared comments for previous releases I understand and appreciate your listening point of view. Only divergence I've had is with Redcloud and the reaction your wife had to it. Although it didn't strike me the same way it did her, I understood her objection. I'm glad to see you pulled a switcheroo and she immediately noticed, it was positive and she is as "pleased" as you are. B)

I loaded Windom the night it was released and have a week of listening. I know your fondness for violin and piano and, also, share your observations on how realistic they now sound. As each version of firmware's been released, I've felt, more or less, things have moved in a positive direction. However, hands down on my gear, Windom is a great transformation.

For anyone that’s read my most recent reviews you’ll know I’ve made several positive moves (to my ears) in gear over the past year. These comments are the most current in this evolution.

My go to CD is Pink Floyd's The Final Cut. I've listened to this album since it was released and really have a feel for the sound and production. It has all the elements of the varied music I listen to; rock, acoustic, orchestra, quiet, loud, dynamic and studio mixed with real world recordings for effect (ie. voices, cars, aircraft, etc.). I’m not saying it’s considered a benchmark recording in the audiophile world, but I’m able to evaluate the album as a whole and also dissect individual parts for analysis. As my system has gotten better, so has this recording.

With Windom, the most striking improvement of The Final Cut is the crystal-clear detail and realism. The backing tracks, used for effect, have come into complete focus. It’s no longer an added part of the story that makes me think, “added for effect”, but equal to the music it supports. It literally floats on the same plane as the music, if this makes sense? The one exception is a recording of a combat aircraft coming in at high speed, followed by an explosion. Kind of a crappy sample with noticeable distortion that I attribute to the recording and not my system. This aside, the end result is I finally understand what it was like to be in the mixing session with Roger Waters and can imagine I’m pretty close to hearing what he did/wanted from inception.

For the folks not familiar with The Final Cut, I immediately played a well-known audiophile recording, The Dark Side of the Moon, SACD/DSD rip, and the effects employed are mind blowing. The man running on “On the Run” is a 3 dimensional extravaganza, the clocks at the beginning of “Time” are realistically startling. The music is rich and detailed.

With respect to soundstage…the 1.2tl’s have always delivered. It’s the space between the soundstage that I’m now enjoying….more. As I type this, I’m listening to Living Stereo’s Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition. Fritz Reiner, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and it sounds phenomenal. There’s depth, pinpoint accuracy of the instruments and a richness to the orchestra.

The previous firmware, Snowmass, in comparison, was very good but I found the midrange a bit subdued and the bass lacking impact. The mids are now filled in and the bass is back to my liking. Also, on previous firmware releases, my SACD/DSD rips sounded soft in comparison to the standard CD rips...to the point that I’d stopped pursuing SACD’s. Windom has changed this and I’m finally hearing, again, SACD for what it can be.

Final comment, overall, is with respect to the DirectStream DAC. Standard (non-hires) CD’s sound phenomenal. Anyone that thinks 44.1 kHz is a limiting factor hasn’t heard a truly good DAC. There’s so much detail locked inside this resolution. No doubt hires formats have the potential for better sound but don’t write-off 44.1. It amazes me that Ted Smith can rewrite the FPGA software and have such positive results. But….it doesn’t surprise me. I have a computer/IT background and understand that any software code can be written/rewritten a million different ways and achieve the same output. However, Ted’s approach to mitigate the processing of said code and it’s affect on sound appears to work.

Lots of chatter that there shouldn’t be this many firmware updates…that the product should’ve been “perfect” from inception. When we seek out a new piece of kit we’re essentially looking for the next iteration of “better”. My take is the DirectStream Sr (and Jr) both have good electrical/mechanical legs to stand on. It’s the FPGA and continued pursuit to improve on the product as a whole that sets it apart. Fact is, I can go back to any release of the firmware, and the sound that first drew me to this piece…but I won’t. Windom is staying.
    Nice review!. I need to do mine soon.

Nice review!. I need to do mine soon.

Thank you. You should...what I've read on the PS Audio site seems to indicate it's an even better update for the Jr!