New Speaks... Odyssey Audio Liquids

Long day. Met Klaus in Lafayette IN and swapped the Lorelei’s for these. Yes, there was more involved, quite a bit more, but this was the last step.

meg7h7rkwu4t.jpeg
p63xokdrtreo.jpeg
7l4zphyugb66.jpeg
yde829q6k8ll.jpeg

Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Almost matches the Salamander. Looking good.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    👍👍👍👍👍👍
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Very pretty speakers you got there Aaron!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Beautiful stuff
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Very nice looking set of speakers.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    Very nice! Congrats Aaron!

Road trip soon!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Soooo what are the specs? Not listed in his website :)
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Wood looks beautiful. Bet they sound great!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    edited September 2019
    Soooo what are the specs? Not listed in his website :)

No specs...

These have the Scanspeak Illuminator D3004/6640-00 1" Beryllium Dome tweeter and the ScanSpeak Revelator 18W/8531G-00 7" Mid Woofer x2 (I think). There is also an 8631that looks identical to the 8531 and maybe there is one of each per box. Terminals are WBT-0702.01 Topline.

The Lorelei's were not braced nor chambered. Just one long rectangle with a slight pitch to the face. These are braced and chambered as well as trapezoidal, however, there is no pitch - the fronts are vertical.

I've heard metal tweeters before and I hadn't heard any that didn't cause my ears to bleed but these are very smooth. I listened to these at the AXPONA so I knew roughly what the sound might be like. Definitely a step up from the Lorelei's.

There will be some disassembly. I've got Soundocity outriggers that I removed from the Lorelei's but since the shape is different (the back is 14" across) I have to purchase 1 pair of the larger ones. Once those are here I'll need to put in the threaded inserts and at that time the bases (that host the crossovers) will need to come off.

Klaus is concerned that these are boomy and supplied some port plugs of different material to try. I'll need to run them for 200+ hours before more evaluation will happen. I've stolen borrowed Rich's Freak analysis mic and software so eventually I'll have some graphs.

Treble and sound stage are mind blowing. Horry Crap Bratman - I'm hearing things on music I've listened to for years that were never quite clear. Decay is ….wow!

Midrange is excellent but at this time I'm agreeing with Klaus that they are a bit boomy but time might calm that down. Bass is...ya...boomy at certain frequencies. I've got port plugs in and double bass trap panels behind them for now.

My "worry" is that the 7" in the "mid" position is the bass driver (8531) instead of the mid driver (8631). I'm also going to pull the port tubes and see if I can adjust the lengths.

But first at least 200 hours and outriggers.

Evaluation....

Excrement eatin' grin.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Congrats man, nuthin' like turning on your system and having that crap eatin' grin every time.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Nice write up Aaron. I will be curious to how much the sound changes at 200 hours. I have been intrigued by the Loreleis for quite some time. But these look like they are on another level.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Them's pretty, Aaron. The Lorelis were not slouches either! Enjoy them!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2019
    ALL212 wrote: »
    I've stolen borrowed Rich's Freak analysis mic and software so eventually I'll have some graphs.

That's where that is! I gotta start writing this stuff down. Dayton OmniMic V2 at Aarons....that will do speaker measurement too.

You want me to stick that under your name in my death file with the Salk's? Wife tells me, now anyway, she will respect the dibbs. :D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    Heck ya!!!! Put me down fer it all!!!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    I've stolen borrowed Rich's Freak analysis mic and software so eventually I'll have some graphs.

That's where that is! I gotta start writing this stuff down. Dayton OmniMic V2 at Aarons....that will do speaker measurement too.

LOL it was 'lost' at my house for a while too, tough to remember with those things that seem to be permanently on loan...

You want me to stick that under your name in my death file with the Salk's? Wife tells me, now anyway, she will respect the dibbs. :D

Don't you go making any dramatic plans, Rich!

Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474

well then DIBS on the Krell :D
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2019
    agfrost wrote: »

LOL it was 'lost' at my house for a while too, tough to remember with those things that seem to be permanently on loan...

IIRC Dayton doesn't write software for your Mac!

Don't you go making any dramatic plans, Rich!

I want to go later than sooner! :D

We'll have to take a ride to Aaron's and give them things a listen. We'll bring white gloves, just in case we are allowed close enough.
  • SCompRacer
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    well then DIBS on the Krell :D

I'll add your dibs!

I should get a lighter one, something an old guy can carry...
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited October 2019
    Well since we are going there... I call dibs on the Music server, turntable and DAC lol

And just because, the garden hoses.... I mean speaker cables you use ;)
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    These are great, Ern. I especially like how the front baffles are angled inward so you don't have to toe-in the speakers.
    I disabled signatures.