Polk M 10-SDA's. I never knew......

Never knew Polk made M 10 SDA's till today. Nah, for real I love finding stuff like this. A friend brought me a single M 10 with a bad cabinet so I went to taking the drivers out to save and look what I saw inside.
svvumq2jjgup.jpg
djzih7igpe7f.jpg
xluer90gztzj.jpg
a0strdn6f4r3.jpg

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Just when you think you've seen it all.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    What's the terminal cup look like?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    I mean -- folks put jet engines in pickup truck beds.
    These things have a knack of taking care of themselves, you know?

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    So looks like theY repurposed a scrap SDA rear panel for bracing. Is the MW6503 the same driver normally used in an M10?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    FTGV wrote: »
    So looks like theY repurposed a scrap SDA rear panel for bracing. Is the MW6503 the same driver normally used in an M10?

Yea do believe that was the latest driver Mr. FTGV
  • I've seen that before in a pair of Polk speakers a long time ago, can't remember the model number though.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,261
    edited September 2019
    When I did basically the same thing in 2012 they were labeled as Franken-polks right off the bat and I was told it would be a waste of time and it probably wouldn't work. Will these new found unicorns also be labeled as Franken-polks or will they legitimize what I did?
    Read all about it. Has anyone tried this before - SDA CRS+10?

65594.jpg

Post edited by TennMan on
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    TennMan wrote: »
    When I did basically the same thing in 2012 they were labeled as Franken-polks right off the bat and I was told it would be a waste of time and it probably wouldn't work. Will these new found unicorns also be labeled as Franken-polks or will they legitimize what I did?

65594.jpg

The speaker in the OP is not any type of SDA. It simply has a piece of an SDA back panel used for interior bracing.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    And neither would I be tempted to try and make it and SDA speaker. I do like the idea of someone else trying though. Lol.
  • TennMan
    F1nut wrote: »
    The speaker in the OP is not any type of SDA. It simply has a piece of an SDA back panel used for interior bracing.

OK. Never mind what I said. I didn't look close enough. At first it looked to me like a black box with wires coming out of it mounted on the stock brace. Much like the way I mounted my CRS+ crossovers in my 10Bs.

• SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
  • VSAT88
    It's cool Brother !
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

65594.jpg

Interesting read on the conversion @TennMan ! I for one am glad you experimented, and was happy with the results. Isn't this what this hobby is all about anyways! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • I've seen quite a few oddball Polk crossovers in the last few years.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    verb wrote: »

65594.jpg

Interesting read on the conversion @TennMan ! I for one am glad you experimented, and was happy with the results. Isn't this what this hobby is all about anyways! :)

I did the same after I read what he did and took my Crossovers and binding post cup from my CRS+'s and install them in my M10's and gave them a listen for a weekend. I had fun listening to them like that then put everything back together correctly.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • TennMan
    verb wrote: »
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun doing the project and hearing everyone's opinions.

• I've seen quite a few oddball Polk crossovers in the last few years.

What did u call me??
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I've seen quite a few oddball Polk crossovers in the last few years.

What did u call me??

I told you it was too soon to wear a dress in public. :o
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

65594.jpg

OMG who would cut up a SDA cabinet just to make a brace? WTH? :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Polk has used alot of parts & peices "here & there" when needed
    Randy/Maine
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330

OK. Never mind what I said. I didn't look close enough. At first it looked to me like a black box with wires coming out of it mounted on the stock brace. Much like the way I mounted my CRS+ crossovers in my 10Bs.

I thought I saw the same thing. I was thinking, what kind of voo doo is this?
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • VSAT88
    edited September 2019
    Thought we might well all get a kick out of the image. It was not staged in any way. I did a triple take when I saw it... I was glad to find the speaker. It had two nice 6503 drivers in and now they reside inside my SDA 2b's. I had 6510's and 6511's in there but that is not what they were supposed to have installed as per Polk schematics. With the 6503's they sound like they may have better midrange and highs to me. We will see, I have not played them much since I put them in. Now that may be a decent topic for another thread......