OFFICIAL POLK L200 DEMO PROGRAM

Options

Comments

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited September 2019
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Dang, those big boys look impressive. I don't think they are ugly either. One person late to win in a raffle? You gotta be kidding me? Are you frickin' kiddin' me? They gave a pair away in a raffle?

Yep... the first number they drew for the L800s ended in “...48”, but no winner stepped up. The next number they drew ended in “...45”. My ticket ended in “...44”! Probably 200-300 people there. Oh well, I honestly wouldn’t have a good room to do them justice.

I’m excited to hear everyone’s impressions of the L200s!

This series sounds D.A.M.N good for the price.

And just my opinion on the aesthetics of the L800s. Too boxy and the cantilevered look over the PowerPorts looks off. Honestly think they’d look better with the grills on. I’m not a fan of the glossy black (looks too much like plastic) front baffle. Maybe walnut would make them look nicer? After I heard them, I forgot how ugly I thought they were though!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    @F1nut, back on the 10th I sent you my info but I didn't see myself on the list. Did you not get the PM?
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Thanks for the legwork on this Jessie - what a great opportunity for CP members!
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Awesome Jesse...thanks again for setting this up.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    @F1nut, back on the 10th I sent you my info but I didn't see myself on the list. Did you not get the PM?

Yes, I got it, but made a mistake by leaving you off the group B list. Sorry about that.

Updated Group B

Dromunds
    Smglbrth
    ZLTFUL
    Halo
    Monopolk
    Mike Reeter
    Tonyb
    Heiney9
    Erniejade
    EndersShadow
    Indyhawg
    Xsmi
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    Thanks!!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    PM sent
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    @scubalab thanks so much for the pics and the report about your experience.
  • seeclear
    seeclear Posts: 1,237
    Options
    I also sent info but don't see myself on the list.
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."
  • F1nut
    Options
    Sorry Tom I made another mistake. You are in Group A.

Updated Group A

Manticore
    Mrbiron
    Jstas
    Gmcman
    Conradicles
    Displayname
    Rooftop59
    Cooksax
    Stainless0steel2
    Seeclear
    Inspector 24
    Nooshinjohn
    Rburgess
    Civilian
    JayCee

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    I was hoping to get these shipped tomorrow, but business has other ideas. Therefore, I will ship both pairs out next Tuesday. Thanks for your patience.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Another Group A update.

Manticore
    Mrbiron
    Jstas
    Gmcman
    Conradicles
    Displayname
    Rooftop59
    Coolsax
    Stainless0steel2
    Seeclear
    Nightfall
    Inspector 24
    Nooshinjohn
    Rburgess
    Civilian
    JayCee
    Audioluvr

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    And I keep getting bumped down the list... ;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Larry isn't on the list yet so you might be even one more down. :#
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    Options
    And I keep getting bumped down the list... ;)

I'm sorry John, but geographically the list makes sense. Group A swings from the northeast, down the east coast to the south, then out to the west coast and finally up to the Pacific northwest. It looks like a big smiley face.

Group B is pretty much packed together in the midwest.

Each group has 17 members so far.

President of Club Polk

• stainless0steel2
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Larry isn't on the list yet so you might be even one more down. :#

I texted him yesterday about that. I'm sure he'll chime in. I know he's busy with his new carpet being installed and stuff.
    The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »

The L800s were jaw dropping. I’ve never heard such depth and separation from a pair of speakers. Sounds so good, I forgot how ugly they were. If I’d been one person later through the door, I would have won them in the raffle at the end of the night. :(

g9kj8e0zsbgh.jpeg
    wz8836p9kdo2.jpeg
    j8o71ytszofv.jpeg

Looks like the L800's were setup in a good space, glad the speakers can be pulled out into the room as well, sure makes for a much deeper stage.

Where was the Demo located? I'm anxious to get ears on a pair!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    Thanks for doing the grunt work Jesse. Can't wait to hear them!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • EndersShadow
    Options

The L800s were jaw dropping. I’ve never heard such depth and separation from a pair of speakers. Sounds so good, I forgot how ugly they were. If I’d been one person later through the door, I would have won them in the raffle at the end of the night. :(

g9kj8e0zsbgh.jpeg
    wz8836p9kdo2.jpeg
    j8o71ytszofv.jpeg

Looks like the L800's were setup in a good space, glad the speakers can be pulled out into the room as well, sure makes for a much deeper stage.

Demo was in Harrisburg PA at one of the listed L800 listening events. Mike I "think" your out by Iowa, in which case your best option is either the one in Chicago (Oct 10th), or one of the ones in CO

THURSDAY OCTOBER 10, 2019 | 5-8PM CST
    THE Abt AUDIO EVENT
    1200 N. Milwaukee Ave.
    Glenview, IL 60025

TUESDAY NOVEMBER 5, 2019 | 5-8PM MDT
    LISTENUP
    685 South Pearl Street
    Denver, CO 80209

WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 6, 2019 | 5-8PM MDT
    LISTENUP
    2034 Arapahoe Ave.
    Boulder, CO 80302

THURSDAY NOVEMBER 7, 2019 | 5-8PM MDT
    LISTENUP
    888 E. Woodmen Rd.
    Colorado Springs, CO 80920
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    I'm digging the gloss black baffle version now.
  • Mike Reeter
    Options

g9kj8e0zsbgh.jpeg
    wz8836p9kdo2.jpeg
    j8o71ytszofv.jpeg

Demo was in Harrisburg PA at one of the listed L800 listening events. Mike I "think" your out by Iowa, in which case your best option is either the one in Chicago (Oct 10th), or one of the ones in CO

THE Abt AUDIO EVENT
    1200 N. Milwaukee Ave.
    Glenview, IL 60025

LISTENUP
    685 South Pearl Street
    Denver, CO 80209

LISTENUP
    2034 Arapahoe Ave.
    Boulder, CO 80302

LISTENUP
    888 E. Woodmen Rd.

Thanks for the Lineup, its an eight hour (one way) trip to Glenview, if I can't make that work, I might have to wait and hear them at Nebraska Furn. Mart in the future.

• EndersShadow
    Options

g9kj8e0zsbgh.jpeg
    wz8836p9kdo2.jpeg
    j8o71ytszofv.jpeg

THE Abt AUDIO EVENT
    1200 N. Milwaukee Ave.
    Glenview, IL 60025

LISTENUP
    685 South Pearl Street
    Denver, CO 80209

LISTENUP
    2034 Arapahoe Ave.
    Boulder, CO 80302

LISTENUP
    888 E. Woodmen Rd.

Thanks for the Lineup, its an eight hour (one way) trip to Glenview, if I can't make that work, I might have to wait and hear them at Nebraska Furn. Mart in the future.

No worries..... if you do make it work, there might be some other Iowa Polkies that may want to hitch a ride lol....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited September 2019
    Options

g9kj8e0zsbgh.jpeg
    wz8836p9kdo2.jpeg
    j8o71ytszofv.jpeg

THE Abt AUDIO EVENT
    1200 N. Milwaukee Ave.
    Glenview, IL 60025

LISTENUP
    685 South Pearl Street
    Denver, CO 80209

LISTENUP
    2034 Arapahoe Ave.
    Boulder, CO 80302

LISTENUP
    888 E. Woodmen Rd.

No worries..... if you do make it work, there might be some other Iowa Polkies that may want to hitch a ride lol....

I'd be glad to have the company, but I live in central Missouri :D

• EndersShadow
    Options
    DOH!!!
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    The specs for the L600 says 3.3 to 4 ohms with an 86db sens. Seems like a tough load. Also, I think they missed out on an opportunity to move more units by making the height module an additional cost. At 2k a piece, would set them apart from the competition.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2019
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Also, I think they missed out on an opportunity to move more units by making the height module an additional cost. At 2k a piece, would set them apart from the competition.
    The problem I see there is.... Polk appears to be targeting the 2 channel market as well with this line. Some of them already don't see Polk as a player. If they were to offer this more expensive line with ATMOS built-in as the only option, I do believe there are some picky 2-channel purist that would never give the line consideration.. Plus who wants to pay for what they don't plan to use?

Even Monoprice is offering an Atmos enabled built-in with and without option on their new Monolith THX Ultra HT dedicated line. The die-hard types are more likely to put speakers in the ceiling over the Atmos enabled option.

IMO, I think the ATMOS enable built in- ready sets them apart from most out there. Most have an extension that sits on top. The Legend retains the same look, height and its about as clean of an option as I've seen.

polk_legend_l600_l900_studio_884_atmos_split-640x640.jpg
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    ^^ I think this is a well thought out design. Polk really did their homework on this series.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • F1nut
    Options
    The specs for the L600 says 3.3 to 4 ohms with an 86db sens. Seems like a tough load. Also, I think they missed out on an opportunity to move more units by making the height module an additional cost. At 2k a piece, would set them apart from the competition.

The module is optional on the L600.
    3D AUDIO COMPATIBILITY
    OPTIONAL HEIGHT MODULE
    For the ultimate listening experience, the L600 can be used for the front stage of any home theater or as side and rear surrounds. Elevate your sound of your home theater set up with our optional Legend L900 height module (sold separately). This works with today’s new home theater technologies including: Dolby Atmos, DTS, DTS:X, DTS:X Virtual, IMAX Enhanced and Auro-3D.

President of Club Polk

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    Also, I think they missed out on an opportunity to move more units by making the height module an additional cost. At 2k a piece, would set them apart from the competition.
    The problem I see there is.... Polk appears to be targeting the 2 channel market as well with this line. Some of them already don't see Polk as a player. If they were to offer this more expensive line with ATMOS built-in as the only option, I do believe there are some picky 2-channel purist that would never give the line consideration.. Plus who wants to pay for what they don't plan to use?

Even Monoprice is offering an Atmos enabled built-in with and without option on their new Monolith THX Ultra HT dedicated line. The die-hard types are more likely to put speakers in the ceiling over the Atmos enabled option.

IMO, I think the ATMOS enable built in- ready sets them apart from most out there. Most have an extension that sits on top. The Legend retains the same look, height and its about as clean of an option as I've seen.

polk_legend_l600_l900_studio_884_atmos_split-640x640.jpg

I agree that "serious" audiophiles won't consider the L600, so why not offer the ready to go ATMOS bundle at the same price, was my point.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Exciting news and a very generous program, put together by Jesse, from the good folks at Polk. Thanks for getting it rolling!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10