New Sunfire Sig

2»

Comments

• rebelsoulrebelsoul Posts: 161
    edited September 2019
    I talked to the guy that did work on it and he has been working on carver and sunfire amps for 30 years.
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 5,245
    Rebel souls
    Deserters we are called
    Chose a gun and threw away the sun.....fire

Bad company
    I can't deny
    Bad company
    Till the day I die
  • So did the Sig 1 come with the gold posts ? Is this a upgraded sig 1?
    There is no hum,whine or noise. Background is dead silent. I am very happy with Amp
  • Can this be a in between model? Had a couple of Carver m 1.5t s and they had different face plates. And writing was different?
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 5,245
    rebelsoul wrote: »
    I am very happy with Amp
    I love lamp.

mzj5cp1nnkwm.png

• c7asscrk95k8batdfoe1wqsp.jpg

This is the back of one I found on ebay

• NightfallNightfall Posts: 9,028
    So did the Sig 1 come with the gold posts? Is this an upgraded sig 1?
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    That amp you have actually has a flaw in that someone ACTUALLY grabbed the WRONG back plate to build the amp. It has listed by the IEC power input socket 10amp 250v fuse. THAT IS COMPLETELY WRONG. It should say 15amp 250v fuse. If it is running a 10amp fuse it will NEVER run correctly or to its full potential. I know this because I sent pictures AND ran the serial number through this gentleman to get the answers that the original owner refused to answer.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • stangman67stangman67 Posts: 1,319
    What in the hell did I miss with this one?
    2 Channel - Dual Purpose system in the works

Polk LSIM707 I Polk LSIM 706C I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Marantz AV7707 I B&K Ref 200.7 I Rega P6 w/ Ania MC I Rega Fono MC I Audience Ohno ICs/Audience Forte F3 Power Chord/Acoustic Zen Satori I Cambridge 851N

• NightfallNightfall Posts: 9,028
    edited September 2019
    I know this because I sent pictures AND ran the serial number through this gentleman to get the answers that the original owner refused to answer.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 1,459
    If it was in fact a series II, the back panel would look like this:

06bq0w33u3eu.jpeg

Listen, if you are happy with the amp, then we’re happy for you. Fact is, it’s kind of odd, they way you came here out of the blue to brag about buying a piece of Sunfire gear. The seller left a pretty bitter taste around here, with they way he conducted himself. That’s why you are being met with raised eyebrows.

@pitdogg2 has done his research, and knows more about your amp than you do. For my part, I was simply trying to warn you that you may have a time-bomb on your hands. Also, it’s worth noting that Sunfire was founded in 1994, so not sure how this guy has been working on Sunfire gear for 30 years. I am very involved in the Carver repair community, and while there are quite a few of us that work on Carver gear, I only know of a small handful (NOT including myself - I know my limitations) that work on Sunfire.

Best of luck.
    Too much stuff to keep track of.

Currently enjoying: Legacy Focus 20/20, McCormack DNA 225, Bill D C1, Oppo 105
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 44,506
    stangman67 wrote: »

A banned member coming back pretending to be someone else and only fooling himself.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• stangman67stangman67 Posts: 1,319
    edited September 2019
    Cool, that sounds about right for this place lately
    2 Channel - Dual Purpose system in the works

Polk LSIM707 I Polk LSIM 706C I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Marantz AV7707 I B&K Ref 200.7 I Rega P6 w/ Ania MC I Rega Fono MC I Audience Ohno ICs/Audience Forte F3 Power Chord/Acoustic Zen Satori I Cambridge 851N

• boston1450boston1450 Posts: 6,635
    stangman67 wrote: »

You didnt miss anything :)
    Randy / Maine .... SDA-CRS+TL & RTA15TL
  • vcwatkinsvcwatkins Posts: 1,975
    It sounds Amazing!!!! The guy had alot of really nice equipment. Very knowledgeable.
    Smoke free home. I had this same amp about five years ago and had to sell it when I got laid off. This one sounds better then my last one. I had the plastic speaker connects, this one has the gold metal ones.

My vote for post of the year. Hilarious.
    Den: Roon (Sonic Transporter) * PS Audio DirectStream Jr. * Adcom GFP-750 * Sunfire Signature II * PSAudio PP3 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2
    Study: Roon * ProJect Stream Box Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * PSA Dectet * DH Labs Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354
    Studio: Roon * LG v30 phone * Dared MP-5 * DefTech SM45
    Beach: Rega RP6 * AT33PTGII * Budgie SUT * Jolida jd9 * Roon * Sonore UltraRendu (LPS-1, WW Plat7, Iso Regen, Lush) * Schiit Yggdrasil * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 / First Watt F5 Clone * PSA Dectet * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl
    Beach Den: Sonore microRendu * Dayens Menuetto * Fostex BK-12m Folded Horn / KEF LS50 / Dynaudio Audience 50 / Revel M22

• ptrooperptrooper Posts: 394
    edited September 2019
    cvf0xd4mk05o.jpg

The one I bought

picture of the front panel?
    I have 3 sunfire sig series 2's and none look like this..mine are clear plastic around gold ctr locking hole.
    An early 225 x 5 architects choice series 2 i recently sold had the coloured speaker cable nuts on the rear as to the first pic you posted.
    I have seen an early sunfire 5 x 200 with the gold rear cable nut locks which is identicale to your second pic above!
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 22,676
    Sunfire was inconsistent at best on the build of these amps. Bob used whatever he could get for as cheap as possible at times, and binding posts were no exception. I have seen this style binding post used on early Sig models of all types, with the plastic ones used on the entry stuff. If production ran out of the gold ones for the Signature, they would use the lesser posts.

Bill Flannery is the only guy Bob trusts with these amps, and he is the only one to have all of the factory documentation to keep these amps going. Anybody else would be doing a hack job.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 505 SACD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 16,327
    edited September 2019

Sunfire was inconsistent at best on the build of these amps. Bob used whatever he could get for as cheap as possible at times, and binding posts were no exception. I have seen this style binding post used on early Sig models of all types, with the plastic ones used on the entry stuff. If production ran out of the gold ones for the Signature, they would use the lesser posts.

Agree
    Bill Flannery is the only guy Bob trusts with these amps, and he is the only one to have all of the factory documentation to keep these amps going. Anybody else would be doing a hack job.

Agree100% I talked to Bill for many hours about the OP's amp. He is very passionate about these amps and goes though great length's on many as he is a perfectionist.

• ptrooper wrote: »
    cvf0xd4mk05o.jpg

The one I bought

picture of the front panel?
    I have 3 sunfire sig series 2's and none look like this..mine are clear plastic around gold ctr locking hole.
    An early 225 x 5 architects choice series 2 i recently sold had the coloured speaker cable nuts on the rear as to the first pic you posted.
    I have seen an early sunfire 5 x 200 with the gold rear cable nut locks which is identicale to your second pic above!

that pic was a sig1
  • rebelsoulrebelsoul Posts: 161
    edited September 2019
    So let me get this right there are a couple of different versions of the sig 1 and 2
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »

Agree

Agree100% I talked to Bill for many hours about the OP's amp. He is very passionate about these amps and goes though great length's on many as he is a perfectionist.

Thank you!!! that explains everything. And joe told me about this site
  • ptrooperptrooper Posts: 394
    edited September 2019
    I personally liked the metal/gold plated as they felt real solid compared to the clear plastic nut etc ,but they could be easily shorted due to them being so close together.
    The signiture series 2's i have are all 240v and all have "clear plastic" nuts with metal/gold plated washer base for speaker cable securing,I would have guessed the clear ones were considered to be better due to them being "exported to Australia".
    Bill Flannery was extremely helpful when i had mine all recapped ,he gave full instructions and sent all the materials for my Tech to install here in Perth,Australia.
    If i asked a question he wasn't sure on ,he would ask Bob and then forward Bob's personal reply.
    Great service !!!These amps go well with the first generation SRS's.

Agree