New Sunfire Sig

2»

Comments

• rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 747
    edited September 2019
    I talked to the guy that did work on it and he has been working on carver and sunfire amps for 30 years.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Rebel souls
    Deserters we are called
    Chose a gun and threw away the sun.....fire

Bad company
    I can't deny
    Bad company
    Till the day I die
  • So did the Sig 1 come with the gold posts ? Is this a upgraded sig 1?
    There is no hum,whine or noise. Background is dead silent. I am very happy with Amp
  • Can this be a in between model? Had a couple of Carver m 1.5t s and they had different face plates. And writing was different?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    rebelsoul wrote: »
    I am very happy with Amp
    I love lamp.

mzj5cp1nnkwm.png

• c7asscrk95k8batdfoe1wqsp.jpg

This is the back of one I found on ebay

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    So did the Sig 1 come with the gold posts? Is this an upgraded sig 1?
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    That amp you have actually has a flaw in that someone ACTUALLY grabbed the WRONG back plate to build the amp. It has listed by the IEC power input socket 10amp 250v fuse. THAT IS COMPLETELY WRONG. It should say 15amp 250v fuse. If it is running a 10amp fuse it will NEVER run correctly or to its full potential. I know this because I sent pictures AND ran the serial number through this gentleman to get the answers that the original owner refused to answer.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    What in the hell did I miss with this one?
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited September 2019
    I know this because I sent pictures AND ran the serial number through this gentleman to get the answers that the original owner refused to answer.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    If it was in fact a series II, the back panel would look like this:

06bq0w33u3eu.jpeg

Listen, if you are happy with the amp, then we’re happy for you. Fact is, it’s kind of odd, they way you came here out of the blue to brag about buying a piece of Sunfire gear. The seller left a pretty bitter taste around here, with they way he conducted himself. That’s why you are being met with raised eyebrows.

@pitdogg2 has done his research, and knows more about your amp than you do. For my part, I was simply trying to warn you that you may have a time-bomb on your hands. Also, it’s worth noting that Sunfire was founded in 1994, so not sure how this guy has been working on Sunfire gear for 30 years. I am very involved in the Carver repair community, and while there are quite a few of us that work on Carver gear, I only know of a small handful (NOT including myself - I know my limitations) that work on Sunfire.

Best of luck.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    stangman67 wrote: »

A banned member coming back pretending to be someone else and only fooling himself.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    edited September 2019
    Cool, that sounds about right for this place lately
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    stangman67 wrote: »

You didnt miss anything :)
    Randy/Maine
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    It sounds Amazing!!!! The guy had alot of really nice equipment. Very knowledgeable.
    Smoke free home. I had this same amp about five years ago and had to sell it when I got laid off. This one sounds better then my last one. I had the plastic speaker connects, this one has the gold metal ones.

My vote for post of the year. Hilarious.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    edited September 2019
    cvf0xd4mk05o.jpg

The one I bought

picture of the front panel?
    I have 3 sunfire sig series 2's and none look like this..mine are clear plastic around gold ctr locking hole.
    An early 225 x 5 architects choice series 2 i recently sold had the coloured speaker cable nuts on the rear as to the first pic you posted.
    I have seen an early sunfire 5 x 200 with the gold rear cable nut locks which is identicale to your second pic above!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Sunfire was inconsistent at best on the build of these amps. Bob used whatever he could get for as cheap as possible at times, and binding posts were no exception. I have seen this style binding post used on early Sig models of all types, with the plastic ones used on the entry stuff. If production ran out of the gold ones for the Signature, they would use the lesser posts.

Bill Flannery is the only guy Bob trusts with these amps, and he is the only one to have all of the factory documentation to keep these amps going. Anybody else would be doing a hack job.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited September 2019

Sunfire was inconsistent at best on the build of these amps. Bob used whatever he could get for as cheap as possible at times, and binding posts were no exception. I have seen this style binding post used on early Sig models of all types, with the plastic ones used on the entry stuff. If production ran out of the gold ones for the Signature, they would use the lesser posts.

Agree
    Bill Flannery is the only guy Bob trusts with these amps, and he is the only one to have all of the factory documentation to keep these amps going. Anybody else would be doing a hack job.

Agree100% I talked to Bill for many hours about the OP's amp. He is very passionate about these amps and goes though great length's on many as he is a perfectionist.

• ptrooper wrote: »
    cvf0xd4mk05o.jpg

The one I bought

picture of the front panel?
    I have 3 sunfire sig series 2's and none look like this..mine are clear plastic around gold ctr locking hole.
    An early 225 x 5 architects choice series 2 i recently sold had the coloured speaker cable nuts on the rear as to the first pic you posted.
    I have seen an early sunfire 5 x 200 with the gold rear cable nut locks which is identicale to your second pic above!

that pic was a sig1
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 747
    edited September 2019
    So let me get this right there are a couple of different versions of the sig 1 and 2
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »

Agree

Agree100% I talked to Bill for many hours about the OP's amp. He is very passionate about these amps and goes though great length's on many as he is a perfectionist.

Thank you!!! that explains everything. And joe told me about this site
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    edited September 2019
    I personally liked the metal/gold plated as they felt real solid compared to the clear plastic nut etc ,but they could be easily shorted due to them being so close together.
    The signiture series 2's i have are all 240v and all have "clear plastic" nuts with metal/gold plated washer base for speaker cable securing,I would have guessed the clear ones were considered to be better due to them being "exported to Australia".
    Bill Flannery was extremely helpful when i had mine all recapped ,he gave full instructions and sent all the materials for my Tech to install here in Perth,Australia.
    If i asked a question he wasn't sure on ,he would ask Bob and then forward Bob's personal reply.
    Great service !!!These amps go well with the first generation SRS's.

Agree