Receiver/Turntable/Speaker Options

Options
I've picked up a number of components, all from different eras. Some I bought at thrift stores, inherited, or purchased from private sellers. One day I plan to plug and play various combos, but I thought I would begin with advice from you experts. Thanks in advance. Here it goes:

Receiver - Pioneer QX 945 vs. Harmon Kardon 680i. The HK is perfect. The Pioneer cuts out periodically on one of the channels. I had it cleaned/repaired last year already.

Turntable - Newer Audio Technica AT-PL120 vs. vintage PL 71. Both work fine

Advice on speakers, I'd like to have a 4 speaker set up. All work great:

DLK 1 1/2

Teledyne Olson SS-930 (I like them because they are smaller and fit my living room better, along with the larger sets you see here).

Sansui 7070

Jensen Model 4

Again, any help on a solid combo is appreciated.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited September 2019
    Options
    You should try everything and stick with what you like best! :)

IS the Pioneer a QX949? The QX949 was a top-tier quadraphonic (4 channel) receiver of the early/mid 70s. 'cutting out' may be as simple as dirty controls -- go to www.audiokarma.org and search for "idiot's guide to DeOxit" if you feel reasonably handy. If it's a QX949, it is certainly the most 'collectible' of the three receivers you mention.

13432334703_8111cb0bcc_b.jpgScan_Pic0048 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Is the hk an hk680i or 690i? Either way, a later, but a good receiver.
    I am less familiar with the former, but I have one of the latter :)

The Sansui 7070 is a midline receiver from a good line of Sansui components. Also a pretty good receiver.

14669485717_44f076474d_b.jpgsansui782 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The PL71 was a good tt and would (should) be far preferable to the A-T (depending on its condition, of course). Do you know what cartridge is installed in the PL71?

The speakers are, in all three cases (DLK, Olson, and Jensen) unremarkable (at best) and - IMO - will absolutely and irrevocably be the weak link for you.

Info on that DLK line at:
    http://www.alliedcatalogs.com/html/catalogs_additional/1975-schaak/
    hqhc1pghc2i6.png

It might be the best of the three you mention -- but that's going to be pretty much up to your ears & tastes in reproduced sound.

There's a 1974 Olson catalog at:
    https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Catalogs/Consumer/Olson Radio-1974-Catalog.pdf
    Perhaps your Olson speaker's in there(?)

Jensen made some fine drivers and loudspeakers, mostly in the 1950s. The Jensen Four... ain't one of them. :(
    The Jensen 4, amusingly, can be found in the above-mentioned Olson catalog.

HTH, as they say.

• JKParadis
    Options
    Sorry, it is the 949. I may try another shot at cleaning it and running the HK 680i for a spell.
  • JKParadis
    Options
    Oh, and thanks fr the help and the catalogs.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    de nada.
    You also might want to ask (or at least do some searches) at www.audiokarma.org

They're more into the vintage 70s hifi kinda thing over there than most folks here.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    You should try everything and stick with what you like best! :)
    Absolutely. Mix and match and have fun.
    mhardy6647 wrote:
    The PL71 was a good tt and would (should) be far preferable to the A-T (depending on its condition, of course). Do you know what cartridge is installed in the PL71?
    And don't forget that cartridges can be swapped (i.e., if the cartridge on the AT is 'better', it can be mounted on the PL-71). Let us know what you're working with :)
    mhardy6647 wrote:
    The speakers are, in all three cases (DLK, Olson, and Jensen) unremarkable (at best) and - IMO - will absolutely and irrevocably be the weak link for you.

Jensen made some fine drivers and loudspeakers, mostly in the 1950s. The Jensen Four... ain't one of them. :(
    Reminds me...I saw some old Jensens in my dad's garage :/

I know the OP is asking about Jensen Model 4, but I noticed that the Model 5 reminds me of something...
    ep1w4i3xadcc.jpg
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    I know the OP is asking about Jensen Model 4, but I noticed that the Model 5 reminds me of something...
    ep1w4i3xadcc.jpg
    They won't if you listen to them. :#

That "twin midrange" design was a thing for a while; started (at least in earnest, and AFAIK) by Henry Kloss' KLH Five.

32020181034_0142b8e938_b.jpgDSC_7011 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    (nice pair of - borrowed - KLH Fives, being driven - for lack of a better word - by an ACA :p in this instance)

hmm...

KLH Five

14999157073_1fd79924e7_b.jpgKLH5 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Jensen 5

ep1w4i3xadcc.jpg

Radio Shack Optimus 5

au544tfe8axl.png
    source: www.radioshackcatalogs.com (1976)

Coincidence?

I think not.

B)