RTIA vs Signature Series

124»

Comments

• Hey thanks! Very nice to meet you! Here's a picture for you. Yeah I really had a hard time finding a center channel that could hang with them so I just removed the entertainment center and just went for it. Picking up some av racks to clean up that front! I tell you what cfrizz it well I can't quite describe it it blows any center channel I've tried away I can't describe how much it improved my overall sound. jqb7i6v6zs0r.jpg
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Very nice, congrats.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Hey thanks a lot cfrizz if I remember correctly you posted about acquiring some S60's yourself. If so are you still enjoying them? Also from your experience with them any recommendations on amps to use they'd pair well with to help open them up.
  • cfrizz
    Yes I'm still enjoying them immensely. They are now a bit over a year old, and get used every day, on the weekends it's all day.

All of my speakers are powered by a 5 channel Sunfire 405wpc amp. I always recommend getting at least a 200wpc amp. This is usually the tipping point where people can hear a clear and distinct improvement in the sound when adding an amp.

Now others will come on and tell you it's about current not wpc. Basically when you have an amp that powerful, you are going to have the current that goes with it. I speak in wpc since that is basically all you will read about in the manufacturers literature, so that makes it easy to understand.

Parasound makes outstanding amps that go very well with Polks. My first intro to powerful amps was with a Parasound 1500A 205wpc amp which woke my Polk RTA-8Ts right up. It now resides with my brother driving his LSI 7s.

Do you want new or used, how much money do you want to spend? how many channels do you want.

Until you give us more specifics, we can't efficiently spend your money! :D

Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I recently went from a 40wpc amp to 50wpc amp and I noticed a clear and distinct improvement in the sound.

It was a real eye opening experience in regards to how little wpc can mean in certain circumstances.
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I always recommend getting at least a 200wpc amp. This is usually the tipping point where people can hear a clear and distinct improvement in the sound when adding an amp.

• Hey thanks cfrizz on the info although I'm quiet happy to allow you guys to crack open my wallet lol I love getting awesome value for the dollar. So I'm open to new or used if you guys have any tips on sites to score good deals on used amps I'd really appreciate it. Really appreciate the heads up on Parasound since they go so well with polks. My budget I can go deep if needed but I always prefer a bargain first so I can spend more money elsewhere on the system. Looking at a starting budget of 1500 to 5000 for a good amp used or new preferably 7 channels and as u said at least 200 watts minimum per channel. Those S60's love power I can already tell. They sound great now but you can just hear them wanting to really show off and strut they're stuff if I could give them a dedicated amp. I also have them going all weekend long as well Lol. My best friend and I are planning a moviethon on them this weekend. They really make me want to rehear all my collections movies and music all over again.
  • Great to hear from you Skip and I'm glad to be getting to know the community. I have to say it's been refreshing to read this site even before I joined everyone is really friendly and supportive to all people just starting or experienced. I have to say some of the other forums can just get almost vicious and it's a turn off somewhat it's just nice to be around people that don't care about the name or price of what they're into it's about the experience and the journey we each get to go on with the sound we build in our individual systems.
  • And I totally gotta agree with you Skip on that price point. Man I scored those S60's on a deal for 360 apiece and 320 on the third that's insane value for 3 towers of that quality. They easily can go up against some more expensive options and not embarrass themselves at all. I live hear in San Antonio and I get to hang out at Bjorn's and audition a lot of pricey speakers and man I'm not thinking anymore of an upgrade I really think I'm gonna be happy building a system around that signature series. Man for that price to get that feeling? Insaaane!
  • You know my only qualm with the Signature series is I felt I got spoiled with the S60's and S'20's don't get me wrong I think the other entries are great as well but those new Subwoofers that supposedly match the series? I think the HTS's? Man I felt a little let down. I guess I got so spoiled on the beefier part of the lineup. I really wish they'd give us a pricier beefed up version to go with that side of the lineup. Man 450 for those subs you got RSL and other great brands out they're who for the same price can just blow those subs out of the water. That RSL 10 inches speedwoofer can blow that 12 inch HTS away. Maybe it's just me it's just how I feel I guess cus I really like the way they look. But there's no way I think I'd be happy with em.
  • Hey Skip I will for sure I have family up in Dallas next time I'm up they're I'll get in touch and the same with you as well. Anytime you're down here in the San Antonio area hit me up I got some other gear in 2 rooms I'd think you'd enjoy
  • cfrizz
    edited February 2018
    Post edited by cfrizz on
  • Hey thanks cfrizz Im gonna enjoy looking at all those options! I just bought 2 racks to clean up that front and to set up the new equipment Ill eventually go with Ill send you guys some picks once I get em set up they come in next week
  • Dang cfrizz thanks again theyre are 3 of them you posted Im really interested in. If theyre still up in about 30 days I may just go for it. Ahhhhhhh decisions decions.... lol
  • @cfrizz I am considering the s60s. I only have a Yamaha AVR at the moment with 70wpc. Will this not be sufficient for the s60s? Perhaps I can go down to the s55?

Are you running pre amps through an AVR, or just a stand-alone stereo amp into these speakers?
  • cfrizz
    Hi Dino, I'm running a prepro with a separate 5 channel amp along with two subs.

Will the 60s work, or course, will they be operating to their full potential, doubtful, but they will sound good. Just watch the volume, until you can upgrade your receiver. When you do, make sure it has preouts to hook up a separate amp.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    @cfrizz I am considering the s60s. I only have a Yamaha AVR at the moment with 70wpc. Will this not be sufficient for the s60s? Perhaps I can go down to the s55?

Are you running pre amps through an AVR, or just a stand-alone stereo amp into these speakers?

I did a Polk tour when the Signatures came out. They had the S60 hooked to an old low end Onkyo AVR. They sounded darn good on that. Give em more power and they sound better.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Versatile speaker that sounds great for music and HT. Easy to drive and will sound good with AVR but great with more power. As long as you have preouts you can always add an amp later.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • I bought the s60's, the a30 centre an his 12 sub and i'm very happy with them!

I had the old rt1000i's many years ago and enjoyed them at the time for the "large" sound they had for both movies and music. After 10 years or so I had an issue with one of the powered sub's and retired them to the basement where I still have them in storage. Maybe I will see if I can fix that speaker some day.

Since then I have had a few sets of speakers including JBL's (used), Klipsch (new), Energy (new) and Mirage (used). All speakers were in the $500 - $1000 range (Canadian funds).

I never really found that large, exciting, pounding base I had with the Polk rt1000i's. I know those were not a premiere speaker, but they delivered on both music and HT.

I kept an eye out for a good deal on Rtia9's but never found any in my budget that were in good cosmetic shape.

Then I demoed the s60's before my planned purchase of Kef q750's that were on sale.
    I liked both speakers, but the s60's just had that sound I love! I listen to mostly rock, r&b, some rap and alternative music. I need a speaker with sound I can feel without being harsh. These things play loud and never harsh! I do not find the highs fatiguing at all! I listen to these every day!
    I found the Kef's kind of reserved.

They are powered by a Rotel 1080 and the centre/ surrounds are powered by a Denon 4310 ci. I'm still using my polk rt35i's as surround with zero complaints.

The polk hts 12 sub replaces my aging paradigm pw 2200 sub. I find the polk hts 12 has much tighter bass than the pw 2200 (which is kind of boomy/ sloppy). I like it much better for music should I choose to play a sub with music. I find the s60's perfect by themselves for the music I listen to.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Welcome to the club.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Hey @spoiledone welcome to club Polk! Glad you finally found some new speakers you dig! I haven’t gotten to hear the s60s or any of that line outside of Best Buy, but many here love them. And you have a good avr and a really good two channel amp which makes all the difference! I had a similar rotel rb993 with LSiM703s and loved that combo. Rock on!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rooftop59 wrote: »
    Hey @spoiledone welcome to club Polk! Glad you finally found some new speakers you dig! I haven’t gotten to hear the s60s or any of that line outside of Best Buy, but many here love them. And you have a good avr and a really good two channel amp which makes all the difference! I had a similar rotel rb993 with LSiM703s and loved that combo. Rock on!

Thank you!

Yes, I'm so happy with my purchase! I'm back to constantly having music playing on my stereo again. It makes a big difference when you actually enjoy the sound.
  • spoiledone wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Thank you!

Yes, I'm so happy with my purchase! I'm back to constantly having music playing on my stereo again. It makes a big difference when you actually enjoy the sound.

That’s what it’s all about. Welcome to forum.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • cfrizz
    Welcome Spoiledone. You have put together a great system, and the S60s are great speakers to have. Enjoy.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    bump
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables