Pioneer Elite SC-65 UE22 message...

Any suggestions how to solve this one? I am in no spot at the moment to consider a replacement for it. Currently, all seems to function, but from what I see online, failure is a given and could happen at any time.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I have a model in the affected range too, but no issues with it. It's just a backup receiver now. Unfortunately there's no fix other than sending it in for a possible repair if it happens. Repairs may no longer be available. If there's no error code showing, Onkyo/Pioneer is unlikely to do anything with it. The problem is apparently caused by some prematurely aging flawed DSP chips from TI on the HDMI board for models produced from 2011 until early 2013. This thread on AVS Forum has the best information...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2066818-ue22-error-master-thread-pioneer-you-listening.html

This in particular was posted a couple days ago...
    ///////////
    Updated September 2nd, 2019

Onkyo support has now stated that repairs are only being done while parts inventory is still available. Certain models no longer have spare parts for repairs.

As an alternative, a reduced priced trade in receiver is being offered depending on stock availability. This applies to both American and Canadian claim submissions.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I called Pioneer directly and was informed they no longer have parts... I qualify for 40% off a new unit to be purchased directly from them. I am not certain I want another Pioneer.

What other suggestions do you guys have?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I consider Pioneer to be pretty much dead now as far as receivers go.

Marantz has had a habit in recent years of only adding very minor updates to their receivers and slapping a new model number on, which means their perfectly fine line of receivers from the previous year are heavily discounted to clear out. That's what I have now. The SR6013 seems to on discounted sale now for $900 from $1500. That's because the SR6014 model is now out. All they seem to be doing these days with updates is enhancing built in streaming in the receivers.

The only other brand I'd consider would be Yamaha Aventage, but those don't seem to get discounted as much. Maybe that's a good sign for them.
  • nooshinjohn
    That's where my head is at too. I went to BB and looked at the new ones, and they are not what they used to be for sure. I am following the steps Onkyo has put in place, but I think I would rather get my SC65 fixed before getting something new. This way, when I want to get something else, I will have that ability rather than feeling like I got stuck with something I did not want in the first place.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Really odd synchronicity that this comes up here, now.
    Did you see this @nooshinjohn ?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-pioneer-vsx-lx504-avr.8862/
    This is a review and very detailed measurements of the Pioneer VSX-LX504 Home Theater Audio & Video Receiver (AVR). It came about when my trusty Pioneer Elite SC-61 started to produce a UE22 Error. A bit searching showed this is a TI DSP that goes bad causing audio to mute and eventually go dead completely. Despite being acquired by Onkyo, Pioneer made good for a while by sending replacement DSP board to owners. Alas, the replacements are all gone and now Pioneer only offers a trade in. After filling out paperwork and such, they offered me a VSX-LX504 for around US $540 or so. I see it listed on Amazon for US $899 with a list price of US $999. The unit arrived yesterday and I was anxious to put it on the bench and see how it performs.

From the outside, you would think nothing is changed in Pioneer AVRs as it looks almost identical to my SC-61, with the exception of a lot more labels stuck to the front panel...

spoiler alert: the measurer crowd wasn't impressed. :|
  • nooshinjohn
    This is not going to end well for me it looks like. Nooshin is now adamant that I just sell everything... The computer crash got her thinking and now the Pioneer taking a crap pushed her over the edge. She wants it all gone... :'(:s:'(

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    This is not going to end well for me it looks like. Nooshin is now adamant that I just sell everything... The computer crash got her thinking and now the Pioneer taking a crap pushed her over the edge. She wants it all gone... :'(:s:'(

I'm sorry man :'(
  • mhardy6647

Vacuum tubes, vinyl and high sensitivity loudspeakers -- they'll even survive the apocalypse.

Several pieces here as old as (even older than) I. They work fine; parts are readily available and I've never seen an error code displayed by any of them. B)

29114211432_48c2a56b97_b.jpgP1020749 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • mhardy6647
    In seriousness, I am sympathetic/empathetic -- but, unfortunately, complicated stuff fails in colorful, and expensive, ways, and the current culture isn't interested in repair, since "technology" is viewed as relentlessly marching forward.

Ironically, the future, which is half-way here, is everyone buying access to content and viewing/listening over 'rented' devices -- just like the phone company (and movie theaters) in the 1930s. Then, it was Western Electric; now it's Apple.

The notion of individuals owning things outright (including transportation and even housing), I fear, will die out with our generation.

Speaking of progress... . :/