Fluance Reference Series Turntables

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    That is one cool cucumber.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    That's Chumlie!
    I disabled signatures.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    chumlie wrote: »
    Quick shipping. Mine is in town already. Delivery Monday.

Yep. Same here. I’m out of town until Monday night, and since I had it delivered to my office, Tuesday it’ll be!

UPS for me as well. I’m in PA, not far from where it was shipped though.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    That’s one sweet looking turntable.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Kuddos on fast shipping. Delivered. To bad I have to work today.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    pawelmwo wrote: »
    The walnut seems to have the same gloss finish. Wonder why they don't offer a matte or dulled surface. I've thought about it and once it's setup you are not really touching the base are you? They give you the gloves to handle it. At the same time you could go about dulling it with some fine grit sand paper just like you would any piece of furniture. But that is a bit extreme on an expensive piece of base.

The gloves that Fluance included were too small to fit my hands :/ . YMMV.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Might be because those Chinese have small hands.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Might be because those Chinese have small hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgTLx93vyrU
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    I'm so jealous. But do you know what makes me most jealous? Being able to change the speeds without taking off the belt. Enjoy!!
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Looks great!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited August 2019
    scubalab wrote: »
    Had some time scheduled off this afternoon, so I was able to get home and get the new TT set up and running...

Another nice bonus was the small bubble level that made leveling the table simple with the three adjustable cone shaped feet. They are spring loaded for isolation, but I noticed it didn’t take much for a record to skip.
    Might not be an isolation issue per se. The 'skipping' behavior might reflect incorrect VTF setting for the cartridge and/or poor match of arm mass & cartridge compliance (i.e., unfortunate resonance of the arm/cartridge/stylus suspension system). You knew that already, though :)
    The auto-stop is a nice feature. I was a bit scared at first as the platter doesn’t start spinning when you turn the TT on when auto-stop is on. I thought something was wrong at first (didn’t read far enough ahead in the instructions!), but it starts spinning when you move the tone arm from the rest over the platter...
    That was the default behavior on the massmarket Japanese turntables for about two decades! :) They used a little microswitch that turned the tt motor on as the arm was swung towards the platter).

:|

icvwh1gujqhv.jpeg
    That's a thread or a hair and not a scratch on the platter, I hope! :o
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    These constantly look sharp! I had the 2M Blue for awhile, and I enjoyed it while it was in my system. One of the best parts of these tables is the changeable headshell. That makes upgrades or even just changes in sound super easy. Have fun with it!
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • pawelmwo
    pawelmwo Posts: 137
    Love that walnut finish. Might need to send this back and get that one.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Have to agree with Mark about the skipping issue because I can bang on the audio rack with my fist, right in front of the turntable, and it does not skip.

That is a very pretty piece of equipment Al! Enjoy!! :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    Wow looks great al! Fantastic setup you’ve got there. I’m betting that lounge and blue combo is a good one :)
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Got mine as far as the dining table. If I get a burst of energy after work I may open it up and assemble.
  • scubalab
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Had some time scheduled off this afternoon, so I was able to get home and get the new TT set up and running...

Another nice bonus was the small bubble level that made leveling the table simple with the three adjustable cone shaped feet. They are spring loaded for isolation, but I noticed it didn’t take much for a record to skip.
    Might not be an isolation issue per se. The 'skipping' behavior might reflect incorrect VTF setting for the cartridge and/or poor match of arm mass & cartridge compliance (i.e., unfortunate resonance of the arm/cartridge/stylus suspension system). You knew that already, though :)
    The auto-stop is a nice feature. I was a bit scared at first as the platter doesn’t start spinning when you turn the TT on when auto-stop is on. I thought something was wrong at first (didn’t read far enough ahead in the instructions!), but it starts spinning when you move the tone arm from the rest over the platter...
    That was the default behavior on the massmarket Japanese turntables for about two decades! :) They used a little microswitch that turned the tt motor on as the arm was swung towards the platter).

:|

icvwh1gujqhv.jpeg
    That's a thread or a hair and not a scratch on the platter, I hope! :o

As for the isolation issue... I'm pretty sure that was on me! In my haste, I forgot to set the anti-skate prior to dropping the needle on the first record. I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. I'm also planning on getting a cheap VTF scale to more accurately dial that in. I just don't fully trust the markings on the counterweight. Additionally, the VTF for the cart is 1.8 grams, so a minor complaint would be the 1/8 gram markings on the counterweight.

And, good eye Mark! That is, in fact, a hair on the platter. As diligent as I was to keep it fingerprint and dust free, it's almost impossible to escape the hairs of our shedding white (English Cream) Golden Retriever pup. I noticed it after I posted the pic, and was too lazy to take another and replace it in the post!
  • scubalab
    chumlie wrote: »
    Got mine as far as the dining table. If I get a burst of energy after work I may open it up and assemble.

Dang... I was like a kid at Christmas yesterday. I was off work on Monday and most of the day yesterday. It was hard enough knowing it was their Monday and not stopping at the office to pick it up. I actually made a special trip into the office yesterday morning (while out running errands) because I couldn't wait another day!
  • scubalab

I'm sure the black is beautiful too, but man, this walnut finish is incredible! Did they get any more back in stock?
  • scubalab
    DSkip wrote: »
    Looks great Al! I'm not sure which one commands more attention - the turntable or that amp.

Both... my next pursuit will be a nice wider rack, so I can get them both to the top shelf! I am loving the amp Skip - thanks again!
  • scubalab
    I can say from a first listen, I like the sound. The really good news is the hum/buzz that had been plaguing the phono section and completely boggling my mind is gone!

Clarification - the hum/buzz is not entirely gone, but significantly reduced. All other inputs are dead silent, but the input with the turntable still has a faint hum when nothing is playing and the volume is turned (way) up. Really not noticeable though, since at the levels we listen, you'd really have to struggle to hear it.

I plan on trying other inputs on the amp, taking the Lounge out of the chain, etc. to see if that resolves it. I'm doubtful though since it was there with other phono pre-amps and integrated amps, but significantly louder/more noticeable.

I currently have the Fluance connected to the Lounge phono pre with the stock RCA cable. I have the ground wire going from the TT to the lounge, and the second ground wire from the Lounge to the Triode integrated, although since it's just connecting ground, I assume order of connection wouldn't matter...
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited August 2019
    Try hooking the TT (and ground) directly to the Tridoe's phono stage, taking the Lounge completely out of the equation.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    hum/buzz?!? Don't make me give y'll my clip lead sermon again, 'K?

;)

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2360319#Comment_2360319
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    The walnut seems to have the same gloss finish. Wonder why they don't offer a matte or dulled surface. I've thought about it and once it's setup you are not really touching the base are you? They give you the gloves to handle it. At the same time you could go about dulling it with some fine grit sand paper just like you would any piece of furniture. But that is a bit extreme on an expensive piece of base.

Ummm....hell no to the sandpaper. That is not how one obtains a matte or flat sheen unless you want scratch marks all over.

As for the TT in question here the finish is polyster, which is a tough finish, but will scratch. Because it's a tough finish repairing a scratch becomes more difficult.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pawelmwo
    edited August 2019
    What I find really weird is the markings on the counter weight and anti skip dials. They don't match. How is one supposed to get 1.8? The counter weight has 3 ticks between 1.5 and 2 and the anti skip has 4. I watched a video where Fluance shows 1.8 being half way on the tracking force. The anti skip was a bit harder to see.

I tried to match it as best I could and it sounds fine but is there a preferred way to measure this with any tools? Not sure how super accurate this needs to be. It's my first turn table so keep that in mind.
  • scubalab
    What I find really weird is the markings on the counter weight and anti skip dials. They don't match. How is one supposed to get 1.8? The counter weight has 3 ticks between 1.5 and 2 and the anti skip has 4. I watched a video where Fluance shows 1.8 being half way on the tracking force. The anti skip was a bit harder to see.

I tried to match it as best I could and it sounds fine but is there a preferred way to measure this with any tools? Not sure how super accurate this needs to be. It's my first turn table so keep that in mind.

I agree. That was my only complaint - that the counterweight has 1/8 gram markings, so it's impossible to visually dial in 1.8 (or 1-8/10) grams.

I ordered one of these... cheap enough, and should be more accurate than trusting the markings on the counterweight:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PDQFXBZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • pawelmwo

I'm sure the black is beautiful too, but man, this walnut finish is incredible! Did they get any more back in stock?

Yeah it's growing on me. They did but the sale is gone. I'm not about to pay over $100 more for the walnut :)