HELP!!!

As my computer works to recover my files, I have noticed that my individual music tracks are being removed from the files that contained them... Example would be AC/DC Back in Black. The file itself is empty of the individual song tracks. The songs however are being recovered and saved alphabetically with every other song title.

Is there a way to solve this easily, or are my files so corrupted that I may as well start over?.?.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Your recovery program probably only recovers files, but not necessarily the folder structure. Your tracks are files. They were organized into folders (albums). That's doesn't mean the files are corrupted; just disorganized.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Does that mean I will need to place all 40,000 tracks back within their respective folders one b y one?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    As my computer works to recover my files, I have noticed that my individual music tracks are being removed from the files that contained them...

Remember John, the files are in the computer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_o_O7v1ews
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Does that mean I will need to place all 40,000 tracks back within their respective folders one b y one?
    It depends. Most people prefer to organize their files like that (obviously you did), but music programs usually organize by tags. This might help.

https://www.techhive.com/article/3201150/how-to-manage-your-digital-music-library.html

Also, you should have made a complete backup of your files when they were previously organized...
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    John, if you invest in Roon or another quality music organizer, it should automatically do that for you without hand holding or reorganizing all the folders/files. Assuming the meta tags are accurate.
  • nooshinjohn
    Recovery is done, and it looks like JRiver will sort the mess back out, but it keeps crashing halfway through reloading everything to it. I end up having to completely uninstall it and start over.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    ... and that's why I love technolgy :/

I do feel for you (in all seriousness).
    Sounds like progress's being made, though!
  • nooshinjohn
    Thanks... just wish I could figure out why JRiver keeps kicking out the file transfer.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    meanwhile I stick those little shiny pucks on the tray and hit play.... WALLA tunes in order. :D:D:D
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2019
    Walla?

Wally?

Walleye?

Well I...?

Welly?

Wolly Bully?

et voila!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited August 2019
    I just start humming to myself, voalá! Tunes in order.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    koala...

you know, I read that last post too fast; I thought it said humping to myself and it kinda weirded me out a little...
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Ahh, yes, the sweet tunes of humping to yourself. Like stirring a pot of mac 'n cheese.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nooshinjohn
    Been a long night of playing with hard drives and software. The good news is that I have been able to recover everything, including most of my vinyl transfers. I lost no documents or photographs, and all of my music is intact.

I will be going through the music by artist and title before reloading things back to JRiver. It will take additional time to do this, but I feel it is an important step to ensure the integrity of the new folder structure and will facilitate a better quality of backup for safekeeping as well as the NAS drive.

• Here's another thought about organization of your files if all you have is just the song names.

When I organize my music, I do place them in folders. They go Artist > Album > Songs. However, my file names for each song contain Artist-Album-XX-Song Name.flac where XX is the song number. That way it's easy for me to look by song to see the artist, album and song.

There are some applications out there that will take the meta data from a list of files (songs), and rename the file based on that data. For example, your song might be You Shook Me All Night Long.mp3. You specify the naming convention to be Artist-Album Title-Song Number-Song Name.mp3 by mapping the meta data to each part of the title. You hit OK and the song is renamed to ACDC-Back In Black-07-You Shook Me All Night Long.mp3.

While this won't get you your folder structure back, it does help in sorting the the files by artist and album so you can build the folder structure a little easier.

Just a thought. It does rely on you having the meta data populated correctly for all your music though.

I've used MP3TAG to do this.
    https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • nooshinjohn
    Well tonight I got the music going again, nut it will be a very long road to full recovery. More than half of my cover art is gone, and I am down some 250 or so CD's and LP's at this time. The good news is that those files are not lost and are easily found by searching for the metadata within the recovered files, and then breaking things down by artist/album and moving that data into a new folder and exporting it to JRiver.

This will take forever to do, but all the tools are in place and I have a path to move forward. I will be backing up the reconstructed JRiver files to a hard drive as I go so I will not have to do this ever again.

• Clipdat
    edited August 2019
    @joecoulson has some nifty software for automatically getting cover art back into files, maybe he could chime in.
  • nooshinjohn
    As I try to fall asleep tonight, another idea popped in my head. I think I will try to recover file types as a group, then send those to JRiver and see if it will sort them out for me. Then I can back the library up to my hard drive and unzip the folder.

This should work and save a bunch of time.

• joecoulson
    edited August 2019
    The software I use for editing the tags and artwork is:

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/perfecttunes.htm

it can scan your entire library and autocorrect
    Then you can customize from there (if it pulls lower res cover art you can override - but it does a good job of trying to grab 1000x1000 or better
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    That's the one I use Joe.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • nooshinjohn
    Big thanks to Joecoulson.... where I stand at the moment is I have repopulated JRiver, and it is stable and working as it should. So far, I have uncovered more than 150 albums that were missing tracks to varying degrees, so I searched within the backup and the recovered files to locate the material and replace the missing tracks.

It is a slow process, but I am about a quarter of the way through at this point. I have also found about 30 albums where the files needed to reconstruct them are gone from any record whatsoever. Most of them are still in my collections and can be easily replaced with a new transfer.

Thanks guys for the support and assistance.

• Clipdat
    Attaboy Coulson!
  • joecoulson
    My pleasure John. Glad (albeit slow) it is working out.
  • nooshinjohn
    The tally stands at 34 albums that are total losses, though I probably have most of them in either cd or Vinyl anyway. There may be a few that are just gone for good.

• nooshinjohn
    edited August 2019
    The final tally is in. Here is a list of the lost...

1) Pink Floyd, Crea/tion
    2) Allman Brothers Band, Eat a Peach
    3) Supertramp, Crime of the Century
    4) Jefferson Starship, Deep Space, Virgin Sky
    5) Van Halen, Diver Down
    6) Paul McCartney, Driving Rain
    7) Billy Joel, An Innocent Man
    8) Rush, 2112
    9) ABBA, The Visitors
    10) Greta Van Fleet, Anthem of a Peaceful Army
    11) Def Leppard, Adrenalyze
    12) Rod Stewart, As Time Goes By
    13) Elvis Pressley, A Legendary Performer
    14) Elton John, The Very Best of Elton John
    15) Michael Jackson, Thriller
    16) Olivia Newton John, Totally Hot
    17) Garth Brooks, Triple Live
    18) USMC Band, The President's Own
    19) AC/DC, Who Made Who
    20) Van Halen, Women and Children First
    21) The Beatles, Fly on The Wall
    22) Peter Frampton, Frampton Comes Alive
    23) Gordon Lightfoot, Gordon's Gold
    24) Journey, Journey's Greatest Hits
    25) Styx, Styx Greatest
    26) The Oak Ridge Boys, Greatest Hits Volume 1
    27) Clint Black, Greatest Hits Volume 2
    28) Julian Lennon, Help Yourself
    29) Gretchen Wilson, Here for the Party
    30) Dwight Yoakam, Just Looking for a Hit
    31) Van Morrison, Keep me Singing
    32) John Denver, Legendary Performer
    33) Rolling Stones, Let it Bleed
    34) The Beatles, Love (Soundtrack)
    35) Queen, News of The World
    36) Hall and Oates, OOH YEAH!
    37) The Police, Outlandos D'Amore
    38) Styx, Return to Paradice
    39) Kid Rock, Rock n Roll Jesus
    40) Phil Collins, Serious Hits, Live
    41) Reba McIntyre, Starting Over
    42) The Allman Brothers Band, (self titled)
    43) The Allman Brothers Band, Live at the Fillmore
    44) Pat Benatar, The Best Of
    45) The Grammy's 50th Anniversary
    46) Time/Life Collections (various, 28 discs)

Nearly all of the files recovered came from my backup drive. Those that came from the corrupted hard drive have been virtually useless, and all attempts to recover those files an a manner that would make them useful have failed for the most part. J Rive worked best for putting things back in order, but even there, songs were missing from an additional 220 albums. In many cases, the cover art was loaded, and a single song. The titles listed above were recovered to JRiver, but all links to the songs within them were non-existent.

After this, all I can say guys is BACK YOUR MUSIC UP! From now on, I will be making sure I maintain a separate and isolated hard drive that will store nothing but music and I will be sure to keep it up to date.

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited August 2019
    After this, all I can say guys is BACK YOUR MUSIC UP! From now on, I will be making sure I maintain a separate and isolated hard drive that will store nothing but music and I will be sure to keep it up to date.
    I did this after my portable Seagate bit the dust a few years ago and I lost every song I had. Now I basically keep/play everything from my desktop (2TB internal hard drive), with an identical backup on an external WD 2TB. It's not perfect but it should keep me from going through what John just did. *fingers crossed*

PS. You lost a lot of good stuff there, I feel for ya!
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/