Crown XLS 1502 - is it enough to power RTiA9s?

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Why'd you have to bring Tool into it? You know what? Pugs are ugly. I phart in your general direction.

Wait....what? You fartid out a tool? Is this a Billie Jean King joke?
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Whoa “Jim”. Calm down. You went from adding nothing to adding too much.

u8h261qfz602.jpeg

Your no where near my safe space
  • Guys, lemme figure out my budget and see if I can fit in an Emotiva XPA2.

Will let you know what happens
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Why'd you have to bring Tool into it? You know what? Pugs are ugly. I phart in your general direction.

Wait....what? You fartid out a tool? Is this a Billie Jean King joke?

Billie Jean is not my lover. She's just a girl.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Viking64

A girl? I think you better check again. :p

8al2q8j2fxew.jpg
  • Viking64
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Your no where near my safe space

Your no where near a high school diploma. :p
  • Nightfall
    Viking64 wrote: »

A girl? I think you better check again. :p

8al2q8j2fxew.jpg

I prefer manuals with the stick still intact.

• Viking64
    I prefer manuals with the stick still intact.

I could have Basil Fawlty introduce you to his waiter, then. :D

rur75ra5v9qw.jpg
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    For the record, Jimmy, Jim, Viking, Pug, I love ya man! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • joecoulson
    Me too, even though..
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Thus the advantages of not having a brain, like me..... :#
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    https://youtu.be/nauLgZISozs

I must confess, I am not sure exactly which part of Dark Side of the Moon goes with this scene. :#
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Here, let me simplify the discussion thus far on amplifier capability and loudspeaker load impedance characteristics.
    (With apologies to Jeff Foxworthy)

Your loudspeaker may be hard to drive...

if

Your amplifier be all like dis.

izt163ekqrmw.png
  • Viking64
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I must confess, I am not sure exactly which part of Dark Side of the Moon goes with this scene. :#
    Brain Damage?

Any Scarecrow You Light (On Fire)?

Comfortably Dumb?

Welcome to the Cornfield?

Set the Controls for the Land of Oz?

Wish You Were in Kansas?

Careful With That Axe, Tin Woodsman?

Monkeys on the Wing?

Shine On You Cowardly Lion?

Hey You, My Little Pretty?

The Great Tornado in the Sky?

See Dorothy Play?

Dogs (Toto's favorite)?

Have a Cigar, Brain, Heart, and Courage?

Another Yellow Brick in the Road?
  • Im going to add my 2 cents. I have polk RtiA9’s. Ive driven them off Crowns. Ive also used just about every well known preamp to run them. Now i run a Yamaha PC6501n pro amp. Specs are rated from 20-20 frequency 650x2@8ohms. 830x2@4ohms, 105sn ratio and less than 0.1% thd. Damping over 800. The internals look every bit as built as any amp ive seen under $7000 dollars. I tried to load a pic but it didnt work but id be glad to see the insides of what u guys are using. Crown xls is ok but not all pro amp are the same. Crown reference amp is as good as anything mentioned here.

My RtiA9’s sound way better off my yamaha pro with 650watts than it could have dreamed of off my totally rebuilt Adcom GFA-555ii or my wired4sound ss500 digital amp.

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    I'm not an audiophile - I do enjoy listening to music but it's mainly for the home theater. Would the Crown XLS 1502 be enough or do I need to step it up a little and go to 2002 or step up even more to the 2502?

The part about not being an audiophile being the key comment here. In that case the Crown will suffice. I've run 500wpc QSC and 375wpc Carver pro amps on my big Polks in the past and they will get the job done until you can get something better. No they're not Mcintosh but they are also no where near as bad as some here are making them out to be.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I've got a crown xls2500 lying around for when I want some muscle. Good for subwoofer use. It is harsh & bright. Assuming the newer series is similar it'd be like sticking ice picks in your ears paired with A9's.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I'd go with the Emotiva or look for other used home amps. Last thing you want to do is get stuck with an amp that sucks and you can't return it.

I played with a Gen1 XPA2 with my RTi8's for a weekend. Sounded good with a Sony AVR. A Gen2 with a Marantz should sound very good.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Smh...

A crown xls might sound bright but it depends on your preamp or receiver ..your source.... you cant just say an amp is going to sound bright for every circumstance. I have been running a NAD c160 and my RTiA9’s have sounded like old vintage Sansui. Not bright at all. Other preamps i had to make adjustments. So it depends.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    I've driven Mission speakers off both a Crown XLS2000 and now a Behringer EP4000. Not ideal but for many folks not a deal breaker....

RTi's are known to be bright though, so I wouldnt do it.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • joecoulson
    edited August 2019
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited August 2019
    Joe if that’s about me, the speakers in question are in my garage system which is made up of on hand mismatched stuff lol

Hence the EP4000 (originally destined for passive sub duty but then I found a better option)...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • joecoulson
    edited August 2019
    No Dan, not about you
  • so ....you guys are telling people "A CROWN XLS or any PRO AMP" is going to sound bright on a set of RTiA9's .....

without taking account the source of the signal to the amp, that is totally incorrect .

having the same speakers and actually owning CROWN XLS amps and other better PRO amps I can say from actual experience you are wrong.

I have taken a crown XLS and the RTiA9 speakers and with a change of the source (PREAMP) I have altered the sound dramtically. With just the change of the preamp I was able to go from thin or digital sounding to warm and analog sounding ....without ever changing the amp or the speakers.

the characteristics of the source make a huge difference. an amp is just supposed to amplify the sound. when you push an amp to its limits it will sound like crap if its an inferior amp. but to make statements that all pro amps sound bad or a Crown amp will sound bright on your speakers without taking the source into consideration is not very truthful
  • joecoulson
    We don’t know what we don’t know I guess bro.
  • Nightfall
    That's it, I'm selling my B&K and getting a Crown.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    an amp is just supposed to amplify the sound

Well yeah, that's what an amp does, but every amp has its own sound signature and pro amps are notorious for their unrefined sound.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    edited August 2019
    What, no way. Pro amps and horn loaded speakers at all the indoor live venues around here are the final stop for the ultimate in sound quality.