Parasound JC5- Anyone own one?

Options
I may be crazy but I’m considering buying a JC5. My current system consists of the following:
Parasound P6
Parasound A21
Bluesound Node 2
Marantz 5005 CD
Polk SDA 2.3 with VR3 mods and all the usual tweaks
Kimber Kable connects

I actually have 2 Parasound A21s that are less than 4 years old that I am planning to sell and put the money toward a JC5. What does everyone think ? Is it worth selling my 2 A21s plus spending some additional cash to secure a JC5? I’m happy with the sound from the current set up but I’m wondering if there is much to gain by going from A21 to a JC5. If any has some experience with a JC5 I’d be curious as to how they like it. I typically stream Tidal Hifi/MQA 90 percent of the time.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,555
    Options
    Yep I'd do it. I do not own one but I've heard one twice at axpona was impressed both times.
    It's a beast I do not know if you would get the benefit from the music that you listen to by streaming but I sure would if I had the ability to do it.
  • bem
    bem Posts: 102
    Options
    Well, thanks for the input. Not certain what I’ll end up doing. I think I’ll check with my local Parasound dealer and see if I can get a loaner for a day or two. It’s best to check it out in a known listening room with the 2.3s. I know it’s a beast to haul around so it won’t be easy. Then if it sounds like a significant improvement, I’ll be putting the A21s up for sale.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    I think the JC5 could certainly be a Destination Piece. I would love try a new A21+ as well.

"If" it were me, and I could afford the JC5, I'd be on that thing like a Barn Yard Guinea on a June Bug ;)
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    Consider upgrading your streaming transport. You might have more to gain by going to something better than the Bluesound Node 2.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Considering that one also.
  • bem
    Options
    Clipdat
    What would you recommend in place of the Bluesound Node 2? I’ve been thinking about that also but I’m not certain what might be a good option. Do have any experience with any Streamer/DACs or just Streamers?
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Unfortunately I only have first had experience with the Cambridge CXN V2. But @DSkip has experience with Lumin products and @joecoulson and @tophatjohnny have experience with the Auralic Vega G1 and G2 respectively.

It really depends on your budget. But since you listen to Tidal 90% of the time, I think you'd get a lot of value out of a better streamer or a transport and DAC combo.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    And Drew has direct experience (that he might PM you) regarding the Parasound vs the Cambridge he owns. I would be glad to PM you my thoughts about the Auralic as I upgraded from the Cambridge to it. So did Johnny.
  • bem
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the input. My original budget for improving my streaming experience was about $1500, but now I’m thinking more like $2500. Ouch. Auralic is on my list as well as Simaudio (280D). I’ve got a local dealer. I’m thinking I should go for a unit that is both a streamer and a DAC. It’s interesting that at least 2 dealers locally consider the Bluesound Node 2 to be a good streamer. Given that, they are uncertain if I need both. Any thoughts on this?
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Are you currently using the DAC in the Parasound P6, or the DAC in the Bluesound?
  • bem
    Options
    I’ve tried both but believe it not I think the Bluesound DAC sounds a bit better to my ears, so I’m using the analog outs on it.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    He's actually got the P6 but your point still stands.
  • bem
    Options
    Boy, you guys (both on line and off line) have changed my whole perspective on what I should consider for my next move. I need to think about this more and consider my budget and future tech advancements in the DAC world. Right now I may be leaning toward a separate Streamer and DAC.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    That’s going to net you the most gain for $$ spent IMO vs buying another amp. The only reason I settled on the all in one (DAC and streamer) is the high marks these units get all over the place. Glad I invested.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Any updates? Did you decide to move on from the Bluesound?
  • bem
    Options
    Yes I did. I ended up selling one of my Parasound A21s and my Parasound P6. Ended up buying a Simaudio (Moon)390 which is a Streamer/DAC/Preamp. The 390 just blew me away when I heard it. It’s made an incredible difference to my system. Definitely one of the most significant moves that I’ve made to improve the sound quality in my system.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Nice bro - huge jump up from the Parasound
  • Astropet
    Options
    Is the JC5 a common ground amp?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    Options
    Astropet wrote: »
    Is the JC5 a common ground amp?

It doesn't appear to be, but you should call Parasound for the answer.
    Independent power supplies for left & right channel input stages, driver stages, output stages
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bem
    Options
    Yes, it is a common ground. I’ve been using it with my 2.3’s for about 6 months now.
  • Astropet
    Options
    bem wrote: »
    Yes, it is a common ground. I’ve been using it with my 2.3’s for about 6 months now.

Thanks! I just pulled the trigger on one to use with my 1As.
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    Options
    The JC-5 is well worth the investment. I gave myself one for Christmas along with a Cambridge 851N and, although probably not fully broken in yet, has been nothing but a pure joy to listen too. I've locked myself in the media room the past few weekends, turned the lights off and just enjoyed everything I've put through it. It's driving fully modified 1.2's with dreadnought and MIT Shotgun speaker cables with AQ balanced IC's. Music off my NAS sounds better than via the Spotify source, of course, but I still get unreal imaging just surfing through various playlist on-line.

I've played around with sticking a Freya in between off and on but it sounds great just using the 851 as a preamp although the Cambridge volume control leaves a few dozen steps to be desired and can be a bit bright on some material. Still need to play with different tubes for the Freya but want to get at least 250 hours on the system first. A new tube pre maybe on Santa's list for next year.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• Clipdat
    edited February 2020
    Options
    ^^ Reported this spammer. Don't click link.

ajtfr4azsqz2.jpg
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    mykfcexperience???

Last time I ate at Kentucky Fried Chicken it was NASTY!!
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Lumin makes awesome streamers streamer/DACS

I would also mention mytek... This is an intriguing product with good reviews so far

https://mytekdigital.com/hifi/products/brooklyn-bridge/

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Astropet
    Astropet Posts: 25
    Options
    I got my JC5 yesterday. Wow, I thought the Ayre could handle the 1As well, but the JC5 commands them with an iron fist.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    I got my JC5 yesterday. Wow, I thought the Ayre could handle the 1As well, but the JC5 commands them with an iron fist.

which ayre do you have?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Astropet
    Astropet Posts: 25
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »

which ayre do you have?

The Ayre V-5XE. I really like the amp, but it is fully balanced, so doesn’t work with the SDA interconnect.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    The Ayre V-5XE. I really like the amp, but it is fully balanced, so doesn’t work with the SDA interconnect.

So you're saying it's not common ground and you weren't using the IC cable? If so that alone would diminish the overall balance of the speakers.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus