Parasound JC5- Anyone own one?

2»

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited March 2020
    Running the Ayre on the SDA1a if not common could damage something when using a blade/Blade speaker if the cable is used. I'm reading it that way any how.

Blade/blade SDA's were known to at least make unbearable loud noise of the upper high pitched sounds on non common ground amps.
  • Vette C6.r
    Vette C6.r Posts: 1,560
    What specifically are the benefits of the "+" over the regular A21 ??
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Vette C6.r wrote: »
    What specifically are the benefits of the "+" over the regular A21 ??

Not sure if this is what you were looking for but here is the marketing info:

Impressive Performance Upgrades
    The performance upgrades are impressive, beginning with a big 25% to 30% increase in output power compared to the previous model. The A 21+ delivers 300 watts-per-channel at 8 ohms compared to 250 watts-per-channel for the A 21, 500 watts-per-channel compared to 400 watts-per-channel at 4 ohms, and a huge 1,000 watts in bridged mono mode compared to 750 watts with the A 21.

The performance of a power amplifier is highly dependent on the quality of its power supply, and Parasound went the extra mile with the A 21+, which boasts a 10% to 15% larger main power transformer compared to the previous model A 21. Transformer size has been increased from 1.2 to 1.3kVA, and the filter capacitance increases 20-30% from 88,000 uF for the A 21 to 108,000 uF for the new A 21+. You'll hear the advantages of these upgrades as the A21+ presents lower distortion at full power. In fact, signal-to-noise measurements have been upgraded from 115 db from the A 21's 112 dB. THD at full power is now a vanishingly low 0.1% compared to 0.2% for the A 21.

Other performance upgrades include tweaked input circuits for improved crosstalk specs (70 dB at 20 kHz compared to 63 dB) and upgraded internal gold on gold audio connections, resulting in a cleaner signal path that's also more reliable.

Rear Panel Layout and Features Upgrades
    The rear panel of the A 21+ has been revised in terms of layout and new features. It boasts upgraded speaker terminals, using identical terminals to the JC 5 power amp, a new jack/terminal layout with more space and more clear text/labels, and a master "Vacation" AC switch. The 2.5mm trigger jacks of the A 21+ have been replaced with 3.5mm jacks, and the audio trigger circuit has been updated for better low signal reliability.

Revised Halo Front Panel Cosmetics
    The Halo series has always been known for its elegant aesthetics, and the look is even better than before. New front panel cosmetics include slim metal end caps replacing wider plastic end caps, an added gold metallic accent stripe along the end cap, gold feet now on black units, and an engraved metal "Parasound" badge replacing the red "P."
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • Vette C6.r
    Vette C6.r Posts: 1,560
    Just about to post that I found that article.

Thanks for posting
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited November 2020
    I also got a JC5 a few weeks ago. Physically from the outside it looks pretty much like an A21 except for the weird binding posts and some cosmetic changes.

The JC5 has a very low noise floor, especially when paired with a Parasound JC2 preamp. It loses the high end grain the A21 has and controls speakers with much more authority. I recall hearing the term "iron grip" with this amp before, and that's true. I also remember the cliche that "I'm hearing sounds I never heard before." Strangely enough, that phenomenon is apparent with the JC5 to an extent. It's not so much that the sounds were not there in the music but the JC5 has a way of making them more apparent because there are no distracting grainy noises in the treble. The soundstage is also expanded because of the control the amp has. For the first time I am almost getting SDA like width from conventional speakers in my listening room. I would not call the JC5 a "warm" sounding amp, and it does not run physically hot either, but I would say it is neutral and truthful sounding. It did sound comparatively bright when I first got it, but that went away after a few hours. I can't think of any reason to go beyond this price point for an amp.

In comparison to the best amp I have, which is a Sonic Frontiers Power 2 tube amp, it's close in performance but has slightly better control over speakers and a lower noise floor. The JC5 is not "tube like" sounding though, so they are really different beasts.

I bought mine as B-stock and got a good deal. As usual, Parasound's factory refreshed products look brand new.
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    I can't think of any reason to go beyond this price point for an amp.

Until you do go beyond that price point.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    Actually, the later A21’s had the filter caps upgraded to 100,000 uF.

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Congrats bro!
    Maybe next move for me.
    Later on though, thoroughly enjoying the A21+
    It has responded very well to my sources, speakers and AQ wiring/power.