Detailing Stuff Jay Leno's Garage

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
Hello all,
We live in wonderful times I feel. The amount of different products to detail your car is deep. For the last few years now I have been trying out all the newer stuff and comparing it to the stuff I have been using for many years which is Mothers and Maguire's.
I started my journey with Adam's Polishes but when I learned the website was taking many hits on people credit cards I decided to go another direction . I discovered Griots garage and went into their line and discovered they make excellent products equally as good and in some cases better then Afam's stuff. A few years ago my wife picked up a Jay Leno's Garage starter kit for my Son for Christmas. He put it in his closet and their it remained until he found it in there and decided to bring it out for us to try. My Son and I detail our cars together. I have been teaching him the tricks of the trade as I use to be a Detailer myself.
What I discovered is with Jay's Products is they are right up there with Adam's and Griots. Jay's car wash might be the best overall I ever used. I try not to be fooled by the awesome scents these companies put into their products to make them more enjoyable to work with but it's difficult to ignore. Jay's smells like Cherry's and that was really awesome. BUT what's really nice is that it's just a foamy and slippery as both Griots and Adams car wash. We use a Foam Cannon and man it works amazing there.
The other favorite of mine is the Tire dressing. It's a Waer based White tire dressing that leaves a Satin finish over a high gloss finish. I think this is more personal as my Son doesn't like it as much as I do and prefers Groits Garage Blue Tire Gel. That stuff is really good but for me I have to work it into the tire to get the Satin finish I prefer. It's a more wet look with that product but man it hold up for weeks. It's very impressive.
The Detail spray Jay makes is probably the highest shine I've ever seen out of that kind of product and we have a ton of them from Mothers Maguire's Adam's and Griots and I like the Jay Leno's Garage Orange detail spray the most. It leave a highly glossy finish between waxes.
I completely clean clay and prep my vehicles before a wax job and i prefer a paste wax over the liquids. All the Liquid waxes I have used from all the above companies don't last as long as the paste waxes do. Funny I have not found a better longer lasting wax yet but I have not made all my rounds with all the above companies. I currently love the Maguire's Full Synthetic Wax. It comes with a black micro fiber towel which is awesome and a sponge apply pad. It leave a wonderful shine, lasts about 2 months or more depending on your in-between maintain with Spray waxes or detail sprays.
I also don't think one company makes all the best products. For leather cleaner I use to really like Adam's leather kit with cleaner and protectant but I switched to Griots Garage and I think it's a better overall product. I like the 3 in 1 that you can clean and protect in one step. My leather seats never ever get very dirty so having a 2 step process isn't necessary. If you have very dirty leather seats you probably would like the Adams better. I have the Wood brush which is a pleasure to use if your seats do get a bit dirty.
Anyway just wanted to share some Garage time as my son and I spend a ton of time detailing our vehicles. My son enjoys detailing so much he will wash wax and interior clean my wife's 2019 Charger. It's Plumb Crazy Purple and it looks amazing wash and waxed. The Jay Leno's Satin Tire dressing looks great on it as well.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    I stopped using tire dressings after my talk with one of the Bridgestone tire plant engineers. We have Bridgestone tire plant right here in my town and over a few adult beverages myself and a few of the workers that work there and the engineer discussed this very thing. Many products state helps discourage UV wear and some actually accelerate the very thing they state it helps prevent. Others the silicones attract so much dirt and dust, which in turn you use a semi harsh chemical to remove said product only to apply more of said product when done for that fancy wet polished look on a tire. It was an interesting discussion for sure and I'm just as guilty as the next guy as I too tried so many on the market. I now just wash them and let them dry, the sidewall seem to look better in the long run. No cracked raised white letters or what seem to be cracked dry rotted sidewall that can come from some of the harsh chemicals to remove the dressing be it a chlorine type or highly alkaline soap.

YMMV my eyes were opened a bit and like I said I'm just as guilty been there done it.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    ^^avoid, dressings that are petroleum or silicone base and aerosols. Instead use a waterbase product and you will be good.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    On the Leno stuff, do you know if he has a chemist make his product or if it's someone else's product with his name on it? p72r3yxbhut7.jpg

I've spent quite a bit through the years on tons of different product. This right here is all I'll ever need for me.
  • charley95
    Options
    e3twz1w4kb3m.jpg

Those 3 bottles gave me this and I don't think anything else could make it look better IMO.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    I have not tried any of those other products yet. I use some Meguires and mostly
    Chemical Guys products. Most are in gallon size so it will be a while before I move on. Very satisfied with the stuff I have. Peace. Dwgwyd65w3hzn.jpeg
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • charley95
    Options
    There is so much product overload out now it's just best to work with what ya like. I have a detail junky friend that spends a fortune on the latest and greatest. In the end, we always end up reverting back to what he and I have used for years.
  • mantis
    Options
    charley95 wrote: »
    On the Leno stuff, do you know if he has a chemist make his product or if it's someone else's product with his name on it? p72r3yxbhut7.jpg

I've spent quite a bit through the years on tons of different product. This right here is all I'll ever need for me.
    I've heard that Adam's Polishes is making the Jay Leno's Stuff which IF they are then that's why they are so damn good. Adam's Polishes is a damn cult following these days as I never seen ever in the car industry. Strange thing but understandable. I'm obsessed with keeping a clean vehicle so I can see following down that rabbit hole LOL.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited July 2019
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I stopped using tire dressings after my talk with one of the Bridgestone tire plant engineers. We have Bridgestone tire plant right here in my town and over a few adult beverages myself and a few of the workers that work there and the engineer discussed this very thing. Many products state helps discourage UV wear and some actually accelerate the very thing they state it helps prevent. Others the silicones attract so much dirt and dust, which in turn you use a semi harsh chemical to remove said product only to apply more of said product when done for that fancy wet polished look on a tire. It was an interesting discussion for sure and I'm just as guilty as the next guy as I too tried so many on the market. I now just wash them and let them dry, the sidewall seem to look better in the long run. No cracked raised white letters or what seem to be cracked dry rotted sidewall that can come from some of the harsh chemicals to remove the dressing be it a chlorine type or highly alkaline soap.

YMMV my eyes were opened a bit and like I said I'm just as guilty been there done it.
    e418gct867ma.jpg
    0ngy11lxbm1o.jpg
    Water based Jay Leno's Tire Dressing and the way it comes out I'm never not using it. I absolutely love the Satin Finish, no wet look at all. It also doesn't attract dirt in any way. The tires are dry to the touch not slimy like most other dressing out there. This is why I favor this product over all others I've used.

Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    I have not tried any of those other products yet. I use some Meguires and mostly
    Chemical Guys products. Most are in gallon size so it will be a while before I move on. Very satisfied with the stuff I have. Peace. Dwgwyd65w3hzn.jpeg

Cool man I haven't gone far with Chemical Guys yet but plan on a full run of their stuff. I do have the clay bar and spray.ok40am9gtfe0.jpg
    Dan
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Options
    When keeping your car clean becomes an obsession the garage shelves get full quick.
    x913o8nq395a.jpeg
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    @charley95 - Have you had a chance to try out that Kenotech Spray Detailer with the ceramic coating?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    Options
    I have a variety of products/brands on hand here. I know that some people suggest staying within the same brand but I think you just got to find what works best.

Car Pro is a brand I'll be trying in the near future. A lot of the pro detailers use their stuff. I'll also be giving some of the Adam's products that Charley recommended a try (Ceramic Boost and the H20 Guard & Gloss).

To wash, I plan to use Car Pro Reset soap.

I'll follow that with Adam's Iron X and Car Pro Tar X.

Next up, Mother's Speed Clay 2.0 and / or a Nanoskin Fine Grade Clay Mitt.

Then Meguiar's Ultimate Compound followed by Meguiar's Ultimate Polish.

Before the final coating goes on, I'll wipe the car down with Adam's Paint Prep.

Last step, Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax (applied dry to each panel and leveled).

Follow up/Maintenance with Adam's H20 Guard & Gloss and Adam's Ceramic Boost.

My microfiber towels and mitts are from The Rag Company. Always try to use the proper towel(s) for the job(s).

Here's a couple of pics of the car from a few days ago - using only Meguiar's car care products and Wolfgang Über Rinseless Wash (FWIW, the car sits outside 24/7/365 and it is a daily driver):

gy0qezl8v4ry.jpg
    gwnugk2ema2p.jpg

HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • charley95
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    @charley95 - Have you had a chance to try out that Kenotech Spray Detailer with the ceramic coating?

I haven't tried it yet,I'm almost out of it. So far, Adam's H20 G&G is the only topper I use after a wash with good results. Bead Maker is not working at all for a topper but works great on parts that are not coated.
  • halo
    Options
    halo wrote: »

I haven't tried it yet,I'm almost out of it. So far, Adam's H20 G&G is the only topper I use after a wash with good results. Bead Maker is not working at all for a topper but works great on parts that are not coated.

I'd be using it in between washes as a Quick Detailer and not as a topper, since the product provides no level of protection on top of the ceramic or wax.
  • charley95
    Options
    I guess I meant a QD as a shine enhancer and nothing else.
  • halo
    Options
    I guess I meant a QD as a shine enhancer and nothing else.

Thanks for the clarification Charley.

Since I ordered the Kenotech, but never opened it, I ended up returning it to Amazon. I have the H20 Guard & Gloss and the Ceramic Boost from Adams to "top/maintain" the ceramic coat underneath (when I apply it). It looks like both products offer a decent level of protection when used independently (without having a ceramic base layer).
  • charley95
    Options
    I think I'm at a stopping point trying the new product rat hole. The H20 & Boost gives me the results I want. Couldn't be happier with the spray ceramic due to ease of application/removal. Doubt I'll buy more Kenotec but it is super easy to work with. I still have a full bottle of the old Boost 1.0 and look forward to getting the 2.0 when it runs out. The 1.0 is a little more labor intensive to wipe off vs. the 2.0. Friend gave me a sample of the 2.0 and it's much easier to remove. Now, if I could just figure out what works best for streak free windows. I've tried it all and nothing seems to work.
  • BMF35
    BMF35 Posts: 86
    Options
    dolbyd wrote: »
    When keeping your car clean becomes an obsession the garage shelves get full quick.
    x913o8nq395a.jpeg

And the quality of your simple garage noise system goes up and up until it's better than most of your neighbors' living room systems.
  • mantis
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I think I'm at a stopping point trying the new product rat hole. The H20 & Boost gives me the results I want. Couldn't be happier with the spray ceramic due to ease of application/removal. Doubt I'll buy more Kenotec but it is super easy to work with. I still have a full bottle of the old Boost 1.0 and look forward to getting the 2.0 when it runs out. The 1.0 is a little more labor intensive to wipe off vs. the 2.0. Friend gave me a sample of the 2.0 and it's much easier to remove. Now, if I could just figure out what works best for streak free windows. I've tried it all and nothing seems to work.
    Cleaning windows suck man and when you use products that streak it becomes an even more hassle.
    So what I do is I use Griots Garage Window Cleaner with Griots Garage Window towels. They are 2 sided so you use one side to clean and the other side to buff away streaks if there is any. I suggest you first clean all the interior windows with one towel then go back over them with the Griots Garage Window Towels. Especially a smokers car which will be covered in oils that is a nightmare to get clean.
    It might take a few cleanings to get them right but once you got them right maintaining them is a breeze with the Griots Stuff.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/pfm+dual+weave+glass+towel+set+of+4.do?code=PPCPLG&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-4m6htTx4wIVAQOGCh2q1gWwEAQYASABEgLaYvD_BwE

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/pfm+dual+weave+window+kit.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn
    Dan