Why do so many trucks "crab walk" down the road?

Options
Nightfall
Nightfall Posts: 10,067
edited August 2019 in The Clubhouse
It's always trucks and SUV's. What causes this? I saw one today, that's why I bring it up, but I see it all the time. Could just be my perception but especially with Fords. Very rarely is it a car.

Examples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THtV80yjILw

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--xaUO2XMN--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/bfdl8alkje9lkasfzzjp.mp4
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
Post edited by Nightfall on

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    It's because they've been overloaded to many times
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Leaf spring bushings in Ford's wear and this allows the axel to steer the vehicle.

Basically a severe alignment problem. Common on leaf spring vehicles as they age.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Leaf spring bushings in Ford's wear and this allows the axel to steer the vehicle.

Basically a severe alignment problem. Common on leaf spring vehicles as they age.

Wouldn't you be fighting the rear axle trying to steer itself in the steering wheel? You'd think these guys would be tired of that and replacing tires every 10k that replacing a couple of rubber bushings would be the cheaper route.

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    edited August 2019
    Options
    ^ actually all it does is allow one rear wheel to move, changing one side's length (from front wheel to rear wheel). This does not change the axle's alignment. So barring any oddities in the front steering angles (i.e. change in total toe through the steering sweep), there will be no abnormal tire wear, and the only thing the driver may notice is the steering wheel is off center.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    FYI, I'm not offended, but I wanted to relay something. When Ken was the mod here, I got a video deleted that had swearing in it. Maybe it was just him, or maybe the company didn't want content like that on here, idk. On the other hand, if they really cared, we'd have a mod here, so who knows?
  • Nightfall
    Options
    I edited it out.

• OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,108
    Options
    Sounds like a Jeff Foxworthy joke .... You're a redneck if your truck crabs down the street and you don't even notice.
  • mdaudioguy
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I edited it out.

Well...
    I don't know if my Ford does that. Got it probably at least third-hand and I can tell some panels have been painted, so I'm sure there was an accident at some point. Since I never follow myself, I may never know.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I edited it out.

Well...
    I don't know if my Ford does that. Got it probably at least third-hand and I can tell some panels have been painted, so I'm sure there was an accident at some point. Since I never follow myself, I may never know.

what you can't look in the rearview mirror and see it....

:p
  • jawhog
    jawhog Posts: 444
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    ^ actually all it does is allow one rear wheel to move, changing one side's length (from front wheel to rear wheel). This does not change the axle's alignment. So barring any oddities in the front steering angles (i.e. change in total toe through the steering sweep), there will be no abnormal tire wear, and the only thing the driver may notice is the steering wheel is off center.

I didn’t totally follow the technicalities of this answer, but I think what OP is referring to is when you literally see the driver having to steer back to the other side of the lane every 10 seconds. So the driver definitely is noticing. I have always wondered this too. I always assumed it was work vehicles badly in need of alignment with no one home to take care of it.
  • mdaudioguy
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I edited it out.

Well...

Pretty sure I could drop it into drive and just run behind it. I'll let y'all know how that goes.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    jawhog wrote: »
    FestYboy wrote: »

I didn’t totally follow the technicalities of this answer, but I think what OP is referring to is when you literally see the driver having to steer back to the other side of the lane every 10 seconds. So the driver definitely is noticing. I have always wondered this too. I always assumed it was work vehicles badly in need of alignment with no one home to take care of it.

Therein lies the steering oddities line... I'd be willing to bet regardless of the crab walking, the front end is out of wack.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Interesting. In my experience we call it Dog Tracking. Usually requires a 4 wheel alignment at a minimum. If it still persists, then yes something is damaged or worn out in the suspension.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmKkmcmi4_k
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Interesting. In my experience we call it Dog Tracking. Usually requires a 4 wheel alignment at a minimum. If it still persists, then yes something is damaged or worn out in the suspension.

Now I want to go to the dog track and rescue all of the greyhounds! :o
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    A bent frame will do it as well. Wrecked truck are cheap at auction, and easy to throw a new bed onto it and call it a day.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    Options
    A bent frame will do it as well. Wrecked truck are cheap at auction, and easy to throw a new bed onto it and call it a day.

lz2fgbpj5w0f.jpg
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    A freight company in India?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I had a 72 Plymouth Duster that crab walked. It did not pull or wear tires as a result. It just rode down the road sideways. If I remember correctly the steering was like 180 degrees off center. It was a leaf spring car. I hated that thing
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Options
    ^ Yeah I think it was a design flaw on those. I saw quite a few of those.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    A freight company in India?

Nairobi
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    Options
    I tend to see it on full size vans a lot, especially the Fords. Most of the time, I see funny looking front wheel alignment (camber) and figure it was in some sort of wreck.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    No one every gives up on a truck.
    If it starts up and runs, somebody will be driving it.
    Backyard rebuilds happen all the time. Look at all the "rebuilt"
    tittle status vehicles on craigslist. I had my son's old Mustang
    turn up in Florida in an impound lot. It had been totaled 3 years before.
    And guess what? I was the last registered owner!
    Note: NEVER trust anyone with a trade in or insurance total.
    I've had toll violations on vehicles pop up. In Texas there's a form
    send in to tell the state you no longer own it.
    There's a whole segment of society that drives with
    no license, insurance, or any legal status what so ever.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    63svaor2ou55.jpg
    This guy has taken a lot of shot over his used truck the dealer auctioned off
    without scraping off the logo. Appears ISIS likes Toyota dependability.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    edited August 2019
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I edited it out.

Well...

Pretty sure I could drop it into drive and just run behind it. I'll let y'all know how that goes.

This is one of the most amusing things I've ever read on the whole, complete, en-tire interwebz.

Well played, sir. Well played.

:)

sucks2beme wrote: »
    No one every gives up on a truck.
    If it starts up and runs, somebody will be driving it.

That does help explain my Taco(ma).
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    63svaor2ou55.jpg
    This guy has taken a lot of shot over his used truck the dealer auctioned off
    without scraping off the logo. Appears ISIS likes Toyota dependability.

well that is one way to clear drains..
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    Back in the day a broken center bolt from a nasty curb hop would do that. I'm wondering if they have centerbolts in vehicles anymore? Or have they gone the way of the frozen kingpin to?
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited August 2019
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    ...Ford...

And, there's your answer. >:)
  • Nightfall
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    billbillw wrote: »
    ...Ford...

And, there's your answer. >:)

Fracker only runs downhill

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    Effed over repaired Dodge...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    Options
    Flown Over River & Dropped