Why do so many trucks "crab walk" down the road?

Options
2»

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Fix or repair daily :)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Yeah, it's not just Fords, you're just more likely to see Fords doing it because there's more Ford trucks and vans on the road than any other brand. But what do I know?

Anyway, crabbing can be an alignment issue or worn leaf bushings or even a broken leaf or two.

But more often it's due to an accident/impact.

The leaf springs are typically located via a perch that is held on with u-bolts that squeeze the spring between the perch and the bolt plate. If the truck/van slides sideways, like around a turn in icy/wet conditions, and the wheels impact a curb or something, they can cause the axle to slide in the u-bolts. That affects how the wheels line up.

An impact can also cause everything from the mounting points for the springs on the frame to the frame to actually bend too, though. Bent frames are often a total loss in accident terms. But spring perches on an otherwise straight frame and fairly inexpensive to do, comparatively. My brother has his replaced on his 1997 Ranger for about $750 total in parts and labor.

I noticed this one time at a shop I was working at part time where a guy brought his van in and said that another shop wanted $6500 to replace the rear part of the frame to fix a crabbing problem. He wanted a second opinion. I was standing outside on the phone with the amorous interest of mine at the time while taking a break and noticed while the van was on the lift that the rear springs appeared to be canted to the driver's side which was the direction that the the van was crabbing. I shouted to my boss to come and take a gander and I pointed it out. Sure enough, the rear spring mounting brackets were really bent and causing the passenger's side spring to bind up when loaded down. Which caused the noises and bucking over bumps he was complaining about too.

We dropped the axle out and while doing that we noticed the u-bolts shifted about 2-3 inches to the passenger's side. So we got the impact hammer, busted out the rivets and spots weld for the old brackets, got new ones, welded them in and then remounted in the u-bolts in the original spots according to the dirt marks. Bolted it all back up with new spring end bushings and sent it for alignment. My boss asked the guy if he had hit anything like a curb or parking guard recently. He said no but he did notice the steering wheel was out of whack and the van road funny with more road noise since the last time his kid drove it. When he came to pick it up he told us his kid slid into a curb with his buddies in the rain. He was so worried about getting yelled at that he took the van to a coin op wash to clean up the evidence.

The van owner was so happy that we got the work done for about $650 that he sent the kid over with lunch for us all one Saturday to thank us. He made his kid pay for it because his deception almost cost his dad $6500 to not fix the problem.

After that, every truck/van that came in with crabbing problems, the first thing we checked was trueness on mounts and if the u-bolts looked like they slid.

Most newer trucks don't have the problem because a simple nub in the mounting plate now will keep the u-bolts from sliding under all but the heaviest of impacts. You won't see that many newer trucks doing it anymore.

But, I'm just a blow-hard, know-it-all, so what do I know?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    I literally said it could just be my perception. But what do I know?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Jstas
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

You weren't the one making the claims I addressed. You asked a question, I answered it. I'm just gonna get backlash 'cause, y'know, I'm a know-it-all.

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »

You weren't the one making the claims I addressed. You asked a question, I answered it. I'm just gonna get backlash 'cause, y'know, I'm a know-it-all.

Na, you just repeated what has already been said.

No worries.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Jstas
    Options

No worries.

I saw nothing of what I posted before I posted it. All I see in this thread is "HURR DURR, 'CAUSE IT'S A FORD! HURR DURR!"

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2019
    Options
    ^^ I had forgotten the ubolts on the leaf springs as an issue other than the bushings.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    I saw nothing of what I posted before I posted it. All I see in this thread is "HURR DURR, 'CAUSE IT'S A FORD! HURR DURR!"

pmqvjxmel2i8.jpg

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    Around Memphis I see a lot of trucks that are a mess.
    They don't do inspections any more so it's a free for all.
    Missing fenders,bumpers,lights, even missing doors.
    Dents on every panel. Try not 1, not 2 but 3 mini spares
    While out drinking around. And their owners drive like
    Demolition derby contestants.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Sorry some light hearted brand bashing elisiseted such a lengthy response. :D
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options

No worries.

All I have is Fords, HURR DURR. ;):p
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I edited it out.

Well...
    I don't know if my Ford does that. Got it probably at least third-hand and I can tell some panels have been painted, so I'm sure there was an accident at some point. Since I never follow myself, I may never know.

what you can't look in the rearview mirror and see it....

:p

Pretty sure I could drop it into drive and just run behind it. I'll let y'all know how that goes.

This is one of the most amusing things I've ever read on the whole, complete, en-tire interwebz.

Well played, sir. Well played.

:)
    Whew!!! Just caught back up to her... good news, she's straight as an arrow... thankfully the road was, too! :p
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options

No worries.

All I have is Fords, HURR DURR. ;):p

me too
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I edited it out.

Well...
    I don't know if my Ford does that. Got it probably at least third-hand and I can tell some panels have been painted, so I'm sure there was an accident at some point. Since I never follow myself, I may never know.

what you can't look in the rearview mirror and see it....

:p

Pretty sure I could drop it into drive and just run behind it. I'll let y'all know how that goes.

This is one of the most amusing things I've ever read on the whole, complete, en-tire interwebz.

Well played, sir. Well played.

:)
    Whew!!! Just caught back up to her... good news, she's straight as an arrow... thankfully the road was, too! :p

Or you run as crooked as your truck.. :D:D:D
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    3jt3y0wwtkdl.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    FURDS