Comments

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,926
    edited August 2019
    Working normally for me...
    Alea jacta est!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,550
    it comes and goes Drew. It was happening to me a few weeks ago and about a month before that... frustrating for sure. I use Windows edge so a click and I'm signed back in I do not need to keep typing it anyway.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    it comes and goes Drew. It was happening to me a few weeks ago and about a month before that... frustrating for sure. I use Windows edge so a click and I'm signed back in I do not need to keep typing it anyway.

Edge sucks just like IE. Microshaft is replacing it with a custom version of Google Chrome in an upcoming upgrade. Google will now be baked in to Windows. It's 1984 all over again.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pitdogg2
    For the record Dave it was happening on Chrome, Armorfly and Cheetah as well. The last two are phone browser's. I have a bad disdain for Google browser's. When someone post YouTube links i hate the fact that you can't just click the link and watch it. Getting the you must sign into your google account to view is horse hockey. You do not get that prompt from any other browser.
    I have had no problems with edge on my phone on win10 laptop.
  • Kex
    FWIW I find Edge to be much better than I.E.

Don’t like Chrome either because of the way Google try to force you to sign up to everything Google, and also because it’s basically an information gathering machine for targeted advertising. The other browsers have caught up to Chrome in their minimalist space saving design for laptops, which had been the main attraction of Chrome for me, but that was ten years ago.

Sometimes use Opera instead of Chrome on anything running Windows. It has the same engine, without the Google crap if you don’t want it. Even the integrated Google search box from the home screen can be removed.
    Alea jacta est!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,022
    There's always Mozilla/Firefox B)
  • Kex
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Vastly improved IMO, and a very good browser, but... they too are increasingly attempting to coax users into signing in for “more functionality”.

Of all of these options, Opera (once modified to remove Google), Vivaldi, Edge and Safari are the least intrusive IMO. Chrome is by far the most intrusive of all.
    Alea jacta est!
  • mhardy6647
    I gave up on Firefox years ago when it got really big and slow and ponderous... and drank the Chrome Kool-aid. I get all the downsides to Chrome but, in the Devil's bargain that being on-line at all is, it nets out, to my way of thinking, to be the least worst option all around.

YMMV, of course.

I did use open source/freeware OS and browsers in the past. Was pretty happy in the Ubuntu world for a while, but the relentless pace of upgrades wore me out.

I may take one of the elderly laptops around here with XP still sittin' on it and try Ubuntu or something along those lines again some time... I know that laptops can be a little trickier due to proprietary graphics quirks and whatnot, but on a 'cannon fodder' laptop (and there're a few of those around here) it's an acceptable risk.

I just have to get bored enough to fiddle with it some time.

• Kex
    Ubuntu and Mint (and others, including Puppy) are absolutely amazing operating systems, and you can use Chromium instead of Chrome, but... there is just too much now that requires curated oversight if one wants full functionality. It’s one of the main reasons I switched to Mac O.S. instead of Linux (but still have to use Windows for professional activities sometimes). Mac O.S. offers all of the stability of Linux, and ease of update, without the disadvantage of the occasional hiccup that one has to troubleshoot for one’s self in Linux systems. Windows offers the worst of both worlds IMO (no stability, increase virus risks, updates that eventually fail at some point).

Firefox is no longer slow. That was possibly in large part due to Flash problems, that mostly ended a few years ago, but all browsers suffer from Flash issues in different ways. Until recently, I was using proprietary software that required Flash on a regular basis, so I was able to test the abilities of all of the main browsers known to man on a recent installation of W7 and W10. Off all of the browsers in use today for Windows, Firefox seemed to do the best job of managing vast requirements of RAM without crashing. No other could match it.

Safari has been very satisfactory on all fronts so far, but requires iOS or Mac O.S.
    Alea jacta est!
  • pitdogg2

I gave up on Mozilla after our work IT folks kept finding it infected with gremlins. Even C-net downloads came with viruses.
  • mhardy6647

I gave up on Mozilla after our work IT folks kept finding it infected with gremlins. Even C-net downloads came with viruses.

that is interesting -- I'd've thought they'd be petty good about keeping it clean.
  • westmassguy
    For the record Dave it was happening on Chrome, Armorfly and Cheetah as well. The last two are phone browser's. I have a bad disdain for Google browser's. When someone post YouTube links i hate the fact that you can't just click the link and watch it. Getting the you must sign into your google account to view is horse hockey. You do not get that prompt from any other browser.
    I have had no problems with edge on my phone on win10 laptop.

The only thing I like about Chrome, is the sync feature. My work station, media center and laptops all have the same favorites, passwords etc.
    I do NOT use Google's search engine on any browser. I've been using DuckDuckGo for several years.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185

The only thing I like about Chrome, is the sync feature. My work station, media center and laptops all have the same favorites, passwords etc.
    I do NOT use Google's search engine on any browser. I've been using DuckDuckGo for several years.

You know Mozilla Firefox has the sync feature too. It works between mobile and desktop, just like Chrome. You can also import everything from Chrome if you are worried about passwords, etc.

After repeated stories and articles about how Chrome allows dozens or hundreds of trackers to run in the background, I have decided to move completely to Firefox (which disables trackers by default). About a year ago, Firefox had some major updating and I feel it is just as fast as Chrome or Edge now. Yes, there are some occasional upsells, but they are easy enough to dismiss. Mozilla is the only one that seems to care about privacy.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • mhardy6647
    mmmmm...maybe I should try Firefox again...

• westmassguy
    billbillw wrote: »

You know Mozilla Firefox has the sync feature too. It works between mobile and desktop, just like Chrome. You can also import everything from Chrome if you are worried about passwords, etc.

After repeated stories and articles about how Chrome allows dozens or hundreds of trackers to run in the background, I have decided to move completely to Firefox (which disables trackers by default). About a year ago, Firefox had some major updating and I feel it is just as fast as Chrome or Edge now. Yes, there are some occasional upsells, but they are easy enough to dismiss. Mozilla is the only one that seems to care about privacy.

FireFox started out light and fast, and then got bloated and slow like other browsers. I'll have to check it again.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pitdogg2
    Maybe I will too. It has been about two years maybe they cleaned it up. It was my favorite browser for a long time.