LSi9

I was recently given a pair a LSi9 speakers. I was excited to see that I could bi-amp them because I had access to a receiver that I could set up to bi-amp the fronts. It is a Sony STR-DN1020. After doing some reading, trying to find a replacement driver (explains why they were given to me) I discovered that speakers are 4ohm, but the receiver is 8ohm. I know that the speakers are going to want a lot of power. My question is, if I bi-amp them and never push them that hard (Netflix and football games) will I be ok, or will I burn something up? Also any leads on a replacement drivers would be great, I have a message in with CS but I figure I'll explore all avenues.

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    1) You can't biamp with a receiver. The same power supply is used for all channels making it pointless.
    2) That Sony won't push them, at any level. Start shopping.
  • 1. I hear what you are saying about using the same power supply, so yes, its not a true bi-amp, but if the receiver is putting 110 watts to a channel, by setting the receiver up in "bi-amp" I am doubling the power to each speaker.
    2. Happen to be listening to them right now with them set up in passive mode and other than having a driver that has a scratch to it they sound pretty dang good.
    3. I'm open to shopping and since you had such strong opinions, can you give me some suggestions?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    newlywed19 wrote: »
    if the receiver is putting 110 watts to a channel, by setting the receiver up in "bi-amp" I am doubling the power to each speaker.

Unfortunately this is not true.

• Unfortunately this is not true.[/quote]

What is happening then? Is the receiver sending 110 watts to the tweeter, and then 110 watts to the drivers? Giving me separate control of highs and lows.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952

Unfortunately this is not true.

What is happening then? Is the receiver sending 110 watts to the tweeter, and then 110 watts to the drivers? Giving me separate control of highs and lows. [/quote]

No. The receiver might push 110 wpc into 2 channels, but probably actually measures lower. Once you get to 5 channels lower end mass market receivers usually drop to about 35-40 wpc. On top of that, the tweeters need a lot less power than the woofers, so you are actually robbing power from the speakers that really need it to feed the tweets more than they need. Don’t do it.

The receiver will probably (maybe?) power them at moderate volumes, they just won’t sound anywhere near their potential. Just hook them up normally and then watch the volume and save up for something with more power.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Clipdat
    Welcome to Club Polk by the way. If you are willing to learn, we are more than happy to teach.

Just tell us more about your goals and if these will primarily be used for music or TV/HT, etc.
  • More then willing to learn, but at the point I have a bad driver, don't plan on keeping the speakers. HiFi is a different world then what I'm used to. Coming from the pro-audio world where the computer tells you how to pin the line array and how to set the dsp on them lol.

I just need them for general TV watching and background music occasionally. Super small appt so don't need them to go super loud, and I have a separate active sub so I don't need them to push out a bunch of low end.
  • Clipdat
    I've seen replacement woofers pop up on eBay pretty often.

If you're just using them for TV and some music, just wire them up normally with the stock metal jumpers in place and you'll be good to go.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited July 2019
    hmmm....in my experience he should be fine

yamaha most entry level AVR even puts out 70 watts into 2 channels 20-20khz.....
    https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v385_u/specs.html#product-tabs

Not suitable for high level listening for long periods, but teamed with a sub, our one little set up is VERY VERY good sounding and never strained.
    I know it goes against what many in the forum say, but real life experience says it works for us.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    And here I thought the subject matter was bi-amping with an AVR.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    Some believe it looks "smarter" to answer the question they want to answer rather than answer the question asked.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    My question is, if I bi-amp them and never push them that hard (Netflix and football games) will I be ok, or will I burn something up?
    You won't burn anything up any more than hooking them up normally, but you won't see any improvement either. Been there, done that. If you have extra speaker cable laying around, hook it up both ways and see what you think. Yes, it does require more speaker cable which IMO would offset any minimal gain in sound quality (which I don't think you'll notice anyway).

Clipdat wrote: »
    If you're just using them for TV and some music, just wire them up normally with the stock metal jumpers in place and you'll be good to go.

I agree with this. For your stated purpose, I think you'll be fine with what you've got.

The good news is that if you ever decide to really get into home audio, all you have to do is give the LSi9 plenty of power and you'll think you got new speakers. They are a really nice speaker when given plenty of juice.

Good Luck!

Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden