SDA-2B and Pioneer M-22 30wpc class A amp

2»

Comments

• hauxon
    hauxon Posts: 161
    edited December 2013
    Ok vintage class A Pioneer looks cool and probably sounds nice with the right speakers (and with my SDA 2B at reasonable listening levels). So I probably need something more than 30 watts. ...how about Adcom 555 II? There's a used one for sale here in Iceland at the moment.

Hrannar
    SRS 1.2 TL | SDA 2B Studio TL | NAD M51 preamp/dac | DIY SET 300B tube amplifier | Cambridge Audio Azur 851W | Chromecast Audio | RoPieee Roon Raspberry Pi endpoint
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited December 2013
    hauxon wrote: »
    Ok vintage class A Pioneer looks cool and probably sounds nice with the right speakers (and with my SDA 2B at reasonable listening levels). So I probably need something more than 30 watts. ...how about Adcom 555 II? There's a used one for sale here in Iceland at the moment.

Hrannar

That Adcom has been used and trusted around here go for it....
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited December 2013
    IMO, the Adcom is an OK amp as far as power goes, but (again IMO) is not on the same level of sound quality as the Pass Aleph 30 or BAT VK-200, or even the Aragon 8008bb (all amps I have used personally in my system *recently*). If you are just looking for a quick amp to buy and use, buy the Adcom. If you are looking for an amp to buy keep and love the audio for a long time, I recommend a Pass Labs, BAT, Musical Fidelity, or similar quality amp. The Adcom is not the same quality as Pass, BAT, MF amps, but will get you by. Others may disagree with what I said, but I went down the path you are potentially going to go down hauxon, and I am trying to save you time and money by going for the end product in the beginning, rather than wasting time and money going through steps to get to the end product (high quality audio).

Of course, it will depend on what other equipment you are using (pairing with the amp).
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • hittlevm
    hittlevm Posts: 3
    edited December 2013
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Really? You are both wrong on how it would sound, but to the OP no on the negative strapping and yes the right 30 wpc class A amp will sound excellent unless you are trying win an SPL contest or trying to fill a very large room.

H9

Good call on the 30wpc being enough, it seems everyone these days thinks mega wpc is an absolute necessity. In a
    normal size home/listening room, with a mere watt these speakers can achieve approx. 89-90 decibels. I've used several
    tube amps with 12-14wpc with my 2b's with OUTSTANDING results.

The key is to be sure you have a preamp that is capable of driving the amp to full power output.
  • hauxon
    2016 has come. In 2013 I decided to skip the M-22 but now I'm able to buy a Pioneer C-21 preamp and M-25 power amp for a resonable price. The M-25 is class A up to 30W and then switches to a 120W AB when more power is needed. Probably better suited for my SDA 2B. ...but I still don't know if it's common ground.
    SRS 1.2 TL | SDA 2B Studio TL | NAD M51 preamp/dac | DIY SET 300B tube amplifier | Cambridge Audio Azur 851W | Chromecast Audio | RoPieee Roon Raspberry Pi endpoint
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    You can buy them, then test the amp to see if it is common ground. If it is not, you can build a Dreadnought. So, nothing to lose except more money.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hauxon
    F1nut wrote: »
    ....So, nothing to lose except more money.
    Exactly! haha
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    You might want to check over at Audio Karma. They have a dedicated section for vintage Pioneer gear.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Looks like it's capable of sufficiently powering Aiwa boombox speakers. So, there's that.

m-22-l.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • hauxon
    The Pioneer M-25 seems be the common ground type but the seller has become difficult so I might just post again in 2019! ... :neutral:
  • hauxon
    It's 2019 and I didn't buy it! hahahaha :smiley: