BBQ Smoker problems

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,707
edited July 2019 in The Clubhouse
OK, I'm not posting this because I need anyone's help. I'm posting this because it's good info and y'all might need to use it, especially after this summer and this current heat wave.

It probably won't apply to you Green Egg evangelists and your fake smokers so y'all can go back to arguing about everything else.

Some of you cheaters with your pellet grills/smokers might run in to this, though. Unfortunately, you'll have to find another way to fix this because your pellet cheater there will be ruined by how I fixed this.

The rest of you, which I think is only @polrbehr , might find this useful.

Last winter was real mild. In late March, we had a mini-heat wave. It came right on the heels of a pretty heavy ice storm and piles of rain. That's not good for smokers, even if they are covered.

So, basically, this happens.
cx6hpmzktef4.jpg

That's mold growing on all the 8 years of seasoning I had built up in the smoker. It happened because of the humidity and temps being around 70 degrees. This is the 2nd time this has happened to me. Happened on my bullet smoker too. That was easier to clean up. But this can happen whether it's covered or not. I typically don't cover my smokers anymore because this happens easier with a cover on it. The cover keeps moisture right next to the metal and it doesn't get a chance to dry. Covers will keep dirt off but they will also make it rust much faster.

What happened was there was a bunch of water and condensation that got into the smoker as the ice it was covered in seeped into the cooking chamber as it melted. The mold grew near the drain hole and plugged it up. So it collected water and when the pollen storms hit, it just exploded with mold. So I opened it up and let it air out. Let it rain on it and everything. Most of the mold was dead after about a week. However, it leaves a mess and you shouldn't use it like this. It'll make you sick.

So last week, I decided that it was time to fix it before the weather got too hot to deal with it.

What you need:
- power drill
- wire wheel brushes, coarse and fine, two sizes, one large, one small to get the corners and crevices
- firewood, seasoned, hardwood too, NO PINE
- Charcoal
- A bunch of spray vegetable oil. (Get a pack of them from BJ's or Sam's or Costco or something, you'll need it all)
- Hose
- Shop vac
- Box fan
- Beer

Step 1: I washed it out. Got the hose, pulled all the grates and hosed it out. Scraped all the funk out and threw it out and tipped it over to drain it and then let it dry.

Step 2: Once dry, got some wire wheel bits for my drill from the hardware store. Started off with a coarse wire and went after all the rust inside. I got rid of all the rust and all the loose flakes of seasoning. You're gonna have bare metal and that's OK 'cause you're gonna reseason.

Step 3: Vacuumed it all out.

Step 4: Washed it out again with the hose, cleaned out all the leftover rust and funk.

Step 5: Put the fire grates back in and then packed the cooking chamber with fire wood. Small stuff from twigs to about 1.5 inches round. Filled the whole chamber.

Step 6: Built a fire in the fire box with nothing but small stuff. I wanted this hot and fast because it was going to start the fire in the cooking chamber and create the convection needed to burn the cooking chamber sufficiently.

Step 7: Spray down the outside of the entire smoker with the vegetable oil.

Step 8: Light your fire in the firebox and make sure you have a massive amount of flames and heat.

Step 9: Open up all dampers make sure the fire spreads to the wood in the cooking chamber.

Step 10: Sit down, grab that beer and babysit this thing making sure it stays super hot for at least an hour. Burn all the wood, you want nothing but ashes left. Point the box fan at the air intake damper if you have to.

*WARNING* This is gonna smoke like crazy. Enough that if you have nosy neighbors, they might call the fire department. But this is the only way to fix this as harsh chemicals will just mess the whole thing up and you'll have to trash it. Fire is the great sterilizer. This is the best way to do this.

Step 11: Is the fire almost out? Good, move it around and make sure it keeps burning until it's out.

Step 12: Spray the outside of the smoker again.

Step 13: Spray the entire inside with a heavy coat of oil. Pull the fire grates when they are cool enough.

Step 14: Go someplace else and do something else while this thing cools down (Mine got to 968 degrees according to the laser thermometer), leave it overnight if you can. It needs to soak all the nice new oil into the metal.

Step 15: Open up the firebox, put a charcoal fire in there. A big one. I used about 15 pounds. I lit the fire in the firebox with a "Tumbleweed" from Frontier Charcoal. Let that fire start and burn, it's gonna heat the smoker up a 2nd time. You need to do this to set the seasoning you started with the heat from the previous sterilization burn.

*NOTE* Use charcoal here because it will be low smoke. All you want here is heat. Charcoal has most of the smoke producing solids baked out of it already so it has very limited smoke and tons of heat. I would actually recommend Kingsford Professional stuff here

Step 16: Once that charcoal fire has burned down to a few small coals, open the cooking chamber again and give it a quick, light coat of oil again. Same with the outside.

Step 17: Let it cool down.

Step 18: Figure out what you're gonna cook next!

This is what mine looked like after I got done with the first burn. You're gonna notice that any rust outside, except for the most severe, will be gone as intense heat does two things, it burns off loose rust and can reverse the oxidation process that causes rust. This is why you need to oil the outside as well so you don't end up with even worse rust after the next rain storm.

But this went from the rusted, moldy mess above to jet black steel again.

b1zn7q7ricu9.jpg

sxowws1byny5.jpg

Also, side note, pull your thermometer. I didn't, stupidly thinking it would survive, it didn't. Now I gotta find a new one.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Well, I guess I'm a cheater with my electric smoker, even though it uses real wood and not pellets. My smoke tastes like real smoke. My wood I use turns to real ash. If I'm a cheater what dos that make you? Stupid?? Just going by all the stuff you've had to go through on your "real" smoker.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    Yea I was a little off put when you mentioned a Kamado style cooler is a “fake smoker”. Get off your high horse dude
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    Must be a East coast thing, never had this happen in California
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Sounds like a lot of work for nothing actually useful.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited July 2019
    I would of just sprayed oven cleaner on the grates scrubbed them with a stiff brush unplug the drain hole rinse, let it dry spray vegetable oil on it stoke up the fire with some oak, drink a few beers while it was doing its thing. That's what 7 steps. I actually do it every spring to mine. That's like 10 steps to many, but at least you brought it back to spec.
    Post edited by gudnoyez on
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited July 2019
    I have had this problem before and didn’t take nearly the process (or ego) to remedy it. The articulation of your elitist mentality and the “stupidity” of taking 18 steps to do what half of that can is really off-putting.
    Post edited by shawn474 on
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    I don’t know, I have no skin in the game, but I took it as him being flippant and kind of funny/sarcastic as opposed to offensive.

It looks great, but I’d have probably just tossed it and got a new one. B)
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I wished I could have found a smoker like that. I had one just like it but the darn ex-wife made off with it a couple of years ago. When i tried to buy another this year everything was them darned pellet this pellet that. I have a pile of aged fruit cherry tree wood and 7 bags of Kingsford cherry wood charcoal. I miss mine. :'(
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited July 2019
    @pitdogg2 check out old country smokers at academy and if there's one not close their shipping is not very expensive.

I will be getting a butane torch (brush burner) and nuke my smoker to clean it then re-season.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • pitdogg2
    edited July 2019
    Bought mine at tractor supply on end of season clearance Marv. It was a red something or another. Very heavy gauge steel with steel wheels. I do not have a academy around me Marv. Those are nice but at spending that amount of money and 200.00 shipping on top according to the website.
    Thanks though. Maybe next year will be different around here and I'll find another.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • seeclear
    seeclear Posts: 1,236
    It looks like the same model I have. I got it at Home Depot.
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."
  • marvda1
    edited July 2019
    Post edited by marvda1 on
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Wife and I are celebrating our 10 th anniversary this week. She ok’d me to get a smoker. I am considering a 18” Weber Smokey Mountain right now.

There’s also a BGE clearance at a paint store near me 40% off of retail they are claiming, but only have small ones left.

So leaning towards the Weber and a controller fan to go with it.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • marvda1
    edited July 2019
    take a look at this. they have a larger one coming out but it will be $700.

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/bronco-drum-smoker?msclkid=786abe0029d4153bfb01e3345d2b626d&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand-Bronco&utm_term=oklahoma joe's bronco smoker&utm_content=Bronco-General

the problem he talks about (intake tube) on the youtube video, ok joe will send you a free replacement one. you might be able to order a second cooking rack so you can have two later cooking for more capacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cK8uON0I2c
    Puritan PSM156
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    This can happen to us using kamado "fake" smokers as well. Actually I'd imagine it can happen even easier as the ceramics hold heat better/longer and seal up better as well so as the fire cools you will have condensation build up. If you don't open the lid for a couple weeks you can have a similar outcome as you have here. Easiest fix is to scrape it off, get the kamado started and fire her up to 6 or 700 degrees for a while...all better.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    My kamado has molded up a few times due to my own negligence. Really quite easy and common sense to clean. Knock off what you can, use some spray and crank her up and all is well. Heat kills all
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Jstas
    LOL!

The stuff you people post to each other and the way you talk to each other and I throw some ribbing out there and y'all call me arrogant?

Whatever.

A few things here since y'all wanted to take it that way.

You don't use chemicals like oven cleaner in the smoker nor do you use petroleum based fuels in a smoker like propane or light fluid. They leave residues that a BBQ grill will usually be able to burn off because of direct heat but a smoker rarely gets hot enough to burn off the residues and it will color the flavoring of the stuff you smoke. Also, propane and natural gas burning at low enough levels without a pressure regulator system for the burner put off an oily soot that tastes like asphalt tar and smells like tire smoke.

In a "Kamodo style" grill, you will usually get to a high enough heat level to burn the residues off as well as to burn the mold off. Again, in a smoker, all you're going to do is smoke the mold and it will end up in what you are cooking and likely make you and everyone you've fed quite ill.

The process is long because if you are going to do this, this is the right way to do it. I will give people a ribbing in jest about all the shortcuts on the market but they really are shortcuts. They also do not do as well as an actual wood/charcoal fired smoker. Smoking/BBQ is a slow, drawn out process for a reason and it needs to be attended to because every time you do it, something is different and if you aren't paying attention to it you won't be able to adjust. That goes for the shortcuts too. You want to use your BBQ grill as a "smoker", that's fine but it's direct heat and that, therefore, makes it not a smoker. It's an oven. That's reality. A vertical smoker is set up very different than BBQ grille with a plate in the bottom. I've used my BBQ in a pinch as a smoker before too but it's a compromise and acts more like a charcoal fired oven than a smoker. Especially since it's hard to put a water bath in over the coals to control the cooking temps with steam without hampering your ability to feed your fire. You want to take a shortcut because you don't want to invest the time and are happy with the result of the machine doing it for you then go on wit yo bad self. But don't, for once, think you are going to tell me what's up by calling me arrogant and egotistical. If you think you can, you bring your little ole shortcut to my house and I will buy you everything you need including what you want to cook. You set your stuff up next to my beast and we'll see what's what in the end.

The entire process above took me 2.5 hours. The actual fire part took about an hour. It took longer to get the mold and rust out of the cooking chamber because of the shape. I deliberately didn't use any cleaners or solvents and seasoned with vegetable oil because of the chance to color the flavors of what I'm cooking. It's the same reason you don't scrub cast iron with harsh detergents. The metal will soak it up and it will release it when it heats up again. A cast iron pan can be made hot enough in regular use to get rid of all of that. A smoker is usually breaking 300-350 degrees and that is not hot enough to vaporize most solvents. That means that they end up in your food. I try to take care of my tools and I don't just throw them away because they got damaged. I fix them. This is fixing them and like everything worth doing, it's worth doing right.

So yes, that is a lot of steps. But it wasn't "a lot of work for nothing actually useful." because of what I detailed above. So take my advice or don't, I don't care. I know I helped at least one person out here and that's cool with me. But, I also know that way more than one person here has been to my house and has eaten stuff that was cooked on that smoker and had a "come to Jesus" moment. So despite what y'all think, I'm pretty good at this if everyone who I've fed can be believed.

Also, @seeclear it's a Brinkmann Trailmaster I got with birthday money back in 2011. This is the second smoker I've owned. The first one was a Brinkmann vertical smoker which I got as a wedding gift back in 2004. It was small enough to fit on the balcony of my apartment. When I got my first house, I got the Trailmaster. I got mine at Home Depot too. It was one of those hidden gems in a sea of Weber and Char Broil stuff. I had to go complain to a manager because the guy told me he didn't have any in stock because he didn't want to get it off the top shelf with the forklift.

I'm hoping I can get a couple more years out of this one, though. The firebox is pretty badly rusted and I can't get parts for it since Brinkmann is out of business, I'll have to make them. Unless I can figure out what company bought the designs in the Brinkmann fire sale before they folded.

If I can't, I was looking at the Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Reverse Flow as it's replacement:

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/longhorn-reverse-flow-offset-smoker

I saw one of those at a local discount club store and it was quite nice. Heavy steel like my Trailmaster and easy to disassemble for cleaning/care.

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    edited July 2019
    My ego has been bruised because you dismissed my fake smoker😢
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I guess my microwaved meals aren't "real" enough for this thread. ;)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pitdogg2
    That Oklahoma Joe looks sweet. wonder if I can find one around me on closeout ...
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited July 2019
    I bought the OK Joes reverse flow last year at BJs, but they don't seem to carry them anymore, and even the link to the mfr. shows out of stock? Maybe because it's a damn good smoker, even at full retail ($379) I would buy it again.
    I had a similar issue with some rust, but the super hot fire method does work, and yes you will use a lot of spray oil to get all the surfaces good and seasoned once it's clean.
    And yeah, he is pretty good at this, I've gotten some grate advice (get it?) on what makes good 'Q from him.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • marvda1
    edited July 2019
    Propane has no odor, what you do smell is added so you can detect a leak.
    And at the temps that it produces will burn off any residue.
    Go to any competition in America and you will see the torches in use.

Please speak from knowledge. I think the folks that have grilling with propane for eons love the bad taste of propane.
    But maybe your palate is far superior.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Jstas
    Are you competing in your backyard?

I'm not. I'm making stuff I want to eat.

I'm also not an idiot and know what gets added to propane for it to smell. Propane is an oil and unless you re-season with tons of heat, it's not going to go away and creates off flavors and smells in the food you cook in there. Every BBQ book, website, show, whatever that I have listened to or read says that same thing.

I don't care what the competitors use because they are dialed in to a very specific formula that they have perfected for years just to win at specific category. They picked their perfect cuts and often go straight to a butcher to get them.

On top of that, what most people consider "good BBQ" is falling off the bone and sometimes over-cooked. That will lose you a competiton. They would consider competition winning level stuff chewy or tough and not like it.

But, hey, what do I know? I'm obviously just an egotistical, arrogant idiot.

• Jstas
    Also, OK Joe's might just be changing their designs or something. Nothing says discontinued, yet. Maybe they are just coming out with new lines.

The nicest part of the RF OK Joe's in the price. That's a competition level rig for backyard warrior prices. Hard to ignore.

There's other RF offset smokers out there but they are $150 to $200 more for the same level as that OK Joe's.

• pitdogg2
    That one needs longer dwell time....
  • marvda1
    answer this then, backyard propane grillers have no problem with this so called residue. since you know so much about competition smoking it's a fact if judges detect any type of lighter fluid or chemical taste they will judge it low.
    and since you watch so much tv on smoking, the winningest smoker of all time, miron mixon uses lighter fluid to light his smokers whereas other top cooks will not because of the taste.

since you say it will take so much heat to get rid of the propane residue, how hot do you think that torch is burning at.

Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Sure, no problem. fatmm3dun3ja.jpg

throw that grill away, the propane residue is messing up the taste of your food. :D
    Puritan PSM156
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Fine! But can it cook hot dogs?

Yes. If you stand too close to it.