BBQ Smoker problems

Options

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    Come on Marvin they're 20 ways to BBQ a chicken and they are all right by those who cook them. Let's not spiral this thread down.

I cooked two slabs of ribs one on my propane grill and one in my smoker. Yes they both had wood smoked the same amount of time. The propane grill I used only one burner from the five it had and the ribs were on the opposite side of the flame both kept at 225 degrees. My guest could not tell a difference in the taste. I actually was surprised they turned out as good as they did. I did this because I wanted an unbiased opinion from my guest as I knew mine would be a very biased opinion. I just wanted to see IF it could be done or IF I would ruin a good slab of ribs.

Yes prefer the smoker and have not smoked on my grill since.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    You know Ivan blind testing does not work ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited July 2019
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    answer this then, backyard propane grillers have no problem with this so called residue. since you know so much about competition smoking it's a fact if judges detect any type of lighter fluid or chemical taste they will judge it low.
    and since you watch so much tv on smoking, the winningest smoker of all time, miron mixon uses lighter fluid to light his smokers whereas other top cooks will not because of the taste.

since you say it will take so much heat to get rid of the propane residue, how hot do you think that torch is burning at.

Yeah, ok.

Propane burns at 3,623 degrees Fahrenheit. That's if it has an ideal air to fuel mixture.

The torches that you are referring to are ones like these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html

Or these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/electric-start-propane-torch-91061.html

Which are designed with burners to offer the proper A/F mixture for a complete and hot burn of the propane fuel. Mainly because they are intended as tools, not BBQ/Grilling heat sources. They aren't regulated in the same way and it's hard to control heat at low levels with them because of that.

A burner like this:

https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-50250-2109-Cast-Iron-Regulator/dp/B0719PVZP1/ref=asc_df_B0719PVZP1/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198091107028&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5847351251348348922&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003790&hvtargid=pla-351310155755&psc=1

Which is typically found in your average propane based smoker is designed to meter the output by restricting fuel flow through a regulator that matches the amount of air available to the burner to create a heat source. That pressure regulator is critical to maintaining heat levels in the smoker. It needs to meter the fuel to the air supply perfectly. If it doesn't meter enough fuel, it can burn lean and too hot and damage the burner creating an unsafe condition. If it burns way too lean, it can extinguish the flame and vent propane into the smoking chamber turning it, basically, into a bomb. If it burns too rich, you will not get a complete burn and you will get unburned fuel and soot which is not a good taste to put in your face.

That flame is roughly 3200-3600 degrees no matter how big it is. The difference between a plumbing torch or a utility heating torch is BTUs and there's WAY more of those coming out of a torch than there is a smoker burner. So a propane utility torch putting out maybe 20K BTUs is going to be vastly hotter in a small area like a smoker firebox than the 3000-4000 BTUs, maybe 9000 for the one I linked to. That matters because a single burner propane source is never going to get my smoker over 200 degrees because of the amount of steel and airspace that burner has to heat up to reach that. The propane utility torch could. Hell, it could heat half your house if you were psychotic. But both burn at the same temps but the BTUs determine how much heat transfer those two torches burning at the same temp can heat. A 9000 BTU torch can only heat half the space of the 20K BTU torch and it takes longer to do it because it doesn't have a high enough heat transfer rate. Add to that the fact that there is so much mass from material, food and air in your average smoker that the 9000 BTU burner will never overcome the heat flux of just the air in the cooking chamber before the surrounding air can transfer the transferred heat away from the cooking chamber. It gets exponentially more difficult for the small propane burner when you factor in the heat coefficient of the steel surrounding the air mass.

In other words, the torches they use to start a wood/charcoal fire are NOT the same as the burners in the propane fueled smokers. If you're gonna rock a propane fueled smoker, make sure you have a quality burner and regulator or it's going to affect your end product. That's just fact. If you want to use a propane torch to burn out your smoker's seasoning, go ahead but make sure it's thick steel or that torch is gonna warp it and it won't seal right. If you want to use a torch to start your charcoal fire, then go ahead, it's easy to do and quick but I'd honestly rather err on the side of caution and use some kindling or wood shavings coated in beeswax. I won't ever use lighter fluid in the smoker.

I know exactly how judges judge BBQ. I'm not enamored by competition like some folks seem to be, including you. Can you learn something by watching competitions, listening to competitors and actually competing? You sure can! Does that mean that it's your only source? Certainly not! If it is then you're unnecessarily hindering yourself and you should be more open-minded.

My experience here doesn't come from regurgitating what some celebrity competitor says on a class, book or TV show. That doesn't mean I haven't or won't take their advice into consideration. My experience comes from actually doing this. For a long time, too. About 20 years now and my father did it for most of my youth that I can remember. He still does it too and reluctantly admits that I'm better at some stuff than he is. But I'm better at it because of what he taught me, not in spite of it. He should be proud because I wouldn't be able to knock peoples socks off with a hunk of brisket or a perfectly done pork tenderloin without him.

You can keep going with your butthurt hissy fit and throw out all the challenges you want, I'll keep knocking them down and you can keep crying about how I've offended your sensibilities and rationalization over your purchase.

Or you can accept that your setup works for you and you like it and not worry about what I have to say.

But unlike many other bloviating jackasses on the internet, my stance and advice is coming from me and my experience. Nowhere else. It's honest and real and even if I give someone a hard time about their choice of equipment I will still gather all of my experience and know-how to help them fix whatever problem they have from poor equipment performance to an experienced opinion on recipes and fuels that affect flavors in positive or negative manners.

However, I know I don't have to worry about helping you because you took a general comment meant in jest that may not have come off as intended over text on a forum and have run with it calling me an egotistical, arrogant idiot instead of blowing it off as a throwaway comment and having an actual, decent conversation. Whether you're right or wrong about that, I can sleep well knowing that I won't be missing a request for help from you because you've already passed judgement. All because you can't get over yourself and the fact that there might be someone out there with as much or more experience than you that has a different opinion. I'll remember not to invite you to my next BBQ, wouldn't want to upset you any.

Have nice day, sport and happy smoking!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    I have attended many a rib fest where smokers like yours are used and most of the guys use use oven spray, or other arasol grill grate cleaners, with some elbow grease, or soaks them in dawn liquid detergent and scrubs them. just remember caked on maranaites and BBQ sauces can also add to your flavor which isn't good most guys will tell you to do a through cleaning a couple of times during the season, or more times if you use them on a almost daily basis.

I don't think anyone was questioning your smoking abilities just your 17 step method which could be overkill in someone else's opinion. Multiple caked on sauces and marinades that have sat on unused grates for a few weeks is just as bad as mold, everyone has different takes on the subject.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Jstas
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    I have attended many a rib fest where smokers like yours are used and most of the guys use use oven spray, or other arasol grill grate cleaners, with some elbow grease, or soaks them in dawn liquid detergent and scrubs them. just remember caked on maranaites and BBQ sauces can also add to your flavor which isn't good most guys will tell you to do a through cleaning a couple of times during the season, or more times if you use them on a almost daily basis.

I don't think anyone was questioning your smoking abilities just your 17 step method which could be overkill in someone else's opinion. Multiple caked on sauces and marinades that have sat on unused grates for a few weeks is just as bad as mold, everyone has different takes on the subject.

This isn't about cleaning out the smoker after use.

This was about a mold problem which typically doesn't happen for people who use their smokers on a more regular basis than a backyard BBQ'er.

You need heat and lots of it to make sure you sterilize your cooking apparatus after an infection like that. Just like with the BTUs of propane burners, you need a bunch of wood to create enough heat for a long enough period of time to kill anything that's growing.

However, every step is absolutely necessary. You cannot season nor can you cook on rust. You absolutely need to remove it. You absolutely need to sterilize your cooking apparatus after you clean it. This is about food safety, not ease of doing it. The method I've detailed here takes no risks in possibly ruining your cooking equipment and it doesn't have any compounds that could cause bad tasting food or make someone sick. That's why I detailed this and if someone cares enough about it to take the time to not use any chemicals or accelerators in cleaning or fueling a smoker then this is going to preserve that effort.

Just because some don't/can't appreciate it doesn't mean it's excessive, overkill or has no redeeming value.

You can use harsh chemicals, solvents and cleaners if you like but, despite everyone else's anecdotal evidence that someone else does it so it's fine, you're just taking a risk for the sake of time. That's not a slight against anyone, that's a reality.

You want to clean your smoker out and strip all your hard-earned seasoning just to clean it? Fine by me. It's your end product that will suffer, not mine. I clean my grates all the time, BTW. Between every session. I don't clean the smoking chamber, though, because that seasoning is important to prevent it from rusting and aid in heat retention. The grates have little to do with imparting flavors. They intentionally have a small contact area because you want the food suspended in the smoke as much as possible. They are often coated with some compound or ceramic so that they are easy to clean and less likely to create bad tastes in the process. So clean them all you want. I personally use hot water and a scrub brush, dish soap sparingly with great success. If they are real bad, I'll start a fire in the BBQ grill and BBQ my smoker grates to burn the caked junk off them and then clean them with a scrub brush and hot water.

I never would have posted about that.

I posted about this because it's a unique problem that I know how to fix well, someone might have run it to it so I wanted to share what I did and I chose to try and add some levity and humor to it which has not gone over well. Now I have people with no experience telling me I should calm down and then try to educate me while telling me no one was questioning my experience yet, y'all are and telling me I'm an egotistical, arrogant idiot 'cause I wanted to share something useful and tried to make some stupid jokes about.

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    "It probably won't apply to you Green Egg evangelists and your fake smokers so y'all can go back to arguing about everything else.

Some of you cheaters with your pellet grills/smokers might run in to this, though. Unfortunately, you'll have to find another way to fix this because your pellet cheater there will be ruined by how I fixed this."

Sorry John, if you had put a smiley, a wink, or something to indicate that you were joking, this thread wouldn't have gone down the drain. No one can tell when someone is making a joke or being insulting when you are just reading words on a screen. So all that's left to go on is the tone of the words and the actual words themselves. Your words came across condescending and insulting to some and they called you on it.

Maybe next time try rereading what you have written before hitting post comment.

BBQ is all good no matter how you cook it!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Just cover it in Sweet Baby Rays or Open Pit :D....

I mean it all tastes the same anyway :p;)>:)
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Well, now, I guess I'll walk back my "stupid" comment since you posted some other pretty smart stuff. But, you have to realize you cross a Mason-Dixon kind of line when you start calling out non-traditional kind of smokers. I'd rather you just talk about my kin folk. :)
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Fine! But can it cook hot dogs?

Yes. If you stand too close to it.

It would then be called a cocktail wiener, no?
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    Options
    All you idiots with your cheater cookers can go pound sand. This is how the non namby pambies cook. Shameful that you even call yourselves men.lisl5anq0ag1.jpg
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Jstas
    Options
    cmy330go wrote: »
    All you idiots with your cheater cookers can go pound sand. This is how the non namby pambies cook. Shameful that you even call yourselves men.

You mean like this?
    0gsfo55110nx.jpg

Y'all done with your butthurt yet?

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    0d396fd1df160922f97301cb509ffd09.gif
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • kharp1
    Options
    I still have a fire pit that I throw wood in and get primal with. I've had side box grills and everything has its time and place, however, I've found having control of your elements is critical to getting a good, proper smoke. Enter the electric cabinet smoker. I can get pinpoint temp and unlimited control over smoke.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    you take the fun and challenge out of it :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • txcoastal1
    Options

Or save yourself from murdering a $40 brisket and killing 10hrs of your time
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

:o Ouch, that must hurt! How long does it take you to get over that.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »

About 12beers...it's not just about the money/time, it's that look your wife gives you when she would have rather you taken her dinner :/

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »

About 12beers...it's not just about the money/time, it's that look your wife gives you when she would have rather you taken her dinner :/

So the beers are for the wife then.....
    :p
  • seeclear
    seeclear Posts: 1,237
    Options
    I do think mine is the Brinkman that you mentioned. I dont see it on the Home Depot website anymore, I guess that's not surprising if they are out of business. Being in Colorado, we dont have the mold problem here, so hopefully I never have to deal with this.
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Just put the order in for a Weber Smokey Mountain 18 and a BBQ controller fan. Really looking forward to it.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited July 2019
    Options
    take a look at this. they have a larger one coming out but it will be $700.

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/bronco-drum-smoker?msclkid=786abe0029d4153bfb01e3345d2b626d&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand-Bronco&utm_term=oklahoma joe's bronco smoker&utm_content=Bronco-General

the problem he talks about (intake tube) on the youtube video, ok joe will send you a free replacement one. you might be able to order a second cooking rack so you can have two later cooking for more capacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cK8uON0I2c

Stop posting stuff like this! You just made me spend another $250!

After looking at your post I did some research and long story short.....I am seasoning a new one in the back yard as we speak. They have them on sale at walmart for $247. So far I am extremely impressed by its thick steel and overall weight (150 lbs). The temperature has been stable and you can increase it or decrease it by adjusting the dampers.

Mine also has the slight intake tube misfit but the video really blows this out of proportion. The fire needs air and the small amount that might be leaking in is insignificant. Just close the intake damper a little more. Or just shim it on the inside with a few layers of aluminum foil.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    edited July 2019
    Options
    they will send you a free new one.
    I would also see how much a second cooking grate would cost so you have double capacity.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • delkal
    Options
    I did hear they will send you a replacement intake for free but will have to experiment with the smoker some before I decide to complain.

The one grill they do give you is kind of small. They show a picture of it with two hams on it but eyeing it up they must have used the worlds smallest pig. I think a second rack is about $20 but the grill on my Weber fits if you center it. Its close but just a little small. I mostly want to experiment in hanging the meat from the hooks. It seems like you can load it up that way.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Let’s get back to the original post of needing beaucoup steps to clean a grill. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • delkal
    edited July 2019
    Options
    OK..............There is a fine line between prized seasoning and crud. Seasoning should be like a a thick black lacquer that is waterproof. You can run your finger on it and just get a slight brown mark. No Black goo with chunks.

If your grill has enough crap on it to mold its crud. Clean it more often. Hose everything off occasionally and hit it with a wire brush. You will not remove the seasoning. Just the rancid grease and chunks of spoiling meat.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    So I cleaned my smoker a few days ago and decided to do a few ribs today. The results as follows may or may not have anything to do with a freshly cleaned/seasoned smoker, but I’m leaning towards — may! :)
    nf4nnjb09jph.jpeg
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    Options
    polrbehr wrote: »
    So I cleaned my smoker a few days ago and decided to do a few ribs today. The results as follows may or may not have anything to do with a freshly cleaned/seasoned smoker, but I’m leaning towards — may! :)
    nf4nnjb09jph.jpeg

What sauce did you finish them off with?
  • kharp1
    Options
    Those look GREAT!!! I'm hungry!
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    edited August 2019
    Options
    There is actually not much on the rack at all, maybe a Tbsp spread around, even less on the individual ribs. The sauce is my own, modified from a recipe I got online a few years ago, and I drizzled a little honey and a few shakes of brown sugar at the start of the last hour in the smoker as well (never tried that before, good results though)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/