Speakers That Changed My Life

Comments

• aiconn
    aiconn Posts: 277
    edited July 2019
    My first experience with "great" speakers were with Norman Laboratory Model 10s. I heard them in a shop in Little Rock, AR and fell in love. They were powered by Onkyo separates that paired with them beautifully. Funny thing is that I went to work for that same shop selling them 5 years later. It was a lot of fun demoing gear and listening to music all day,
    PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp
    Denon DVD 2910
    Quad 12L Active Monitors
    Marin Logan Dynamo 700W
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited July 2019
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Snell Acoustics.
    I have a cool Snell subwoofer. This sub is well made, super heavy and very cool looking. I haven't listened to it for very long to get a handle on how it really sounds. Shame on me.
    m2181codrkro.png
    96hohfpeq570.png

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    We'd need a fork lift to pick your tukas up
  • lackboost
    lackboost Posts: 49
    I used to have some great speakers (M&K / M&K Pro, but was running everything off receivers back then, and not really getting the whole story. Recently (4 years ago?) started using Emotiva and Adcom amps, Marantz pre-pro, and bought some Polk Audio and Zaph speakers, and the dynamics of watching a movie or listening to music really changed for me. Fast forward to October of last year and I moved from a home to an apartment and decided to only bring the LSi9's with me so I packed everything up went to a 3 channel setup (LSi9's up front with CS350-LS center on top of TV).

Eventually I added rear surrounds for a 5.0 system, and the LSi9's went from 300w on the XPA-3 to 500w on the XPA-2.The LSi9's dynamic capability have left me floored. Certainly not groundshaking bass for movies, but more than enough for apartment living. As for music, I am not left wanting at all, and I seriously think I may never buy a subwoofer again. Now some RTi A9's or LSiM707's might be nice though...or maybe just that Vr3 Fortress Plus upgrade I keep reading about!

I do have my LS90's and Zaph SB12.3's in storage, and seriously considering bringing them back into the fold for a more intense sans sub setup, although my neighbors may not be happy about that!

So maybe not life changing, but certainly changed the way I look at my own gear...sometimes less is better and the LSi9 is the epitome of this old expression!
    5.2 Main: X3500h, BDP-103, UBP-X800, M70-C3, XPA-3, XPA-2, NHT VT-2, VS-2, Super Zero Xu, PB-1000 x 2
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    LSi-9s are nice speakers. Mine are with my GF and she won't let them go! Fantastic bang for the buck on the current used market.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    aiconn wrote: »
    My first experience with "great" speakers were with Norman Laboratory Model 10s. I heard them in a shop in Little Rock, AR and fell in love. They were powered by Onkyo separates that paired with them beautifully. Funny thing is that I went to work for that same shop selling them 5 years later. It was a lot of fun demoing gear and listening to music all day,

I think you might have demoed the Norman Lab Model 9"s at that shop a long time ago. I was blown away by them. I would not be able to own a pair until many years later. But they still sounded fantastic.

Other speakers that have possibly changed my life over the years are the Klipschorn, AR9 LSIs, Magnepans, and Salks. I have been fortunate enough to own them all except for the Salks.
  • Sith_Lord
    Sith_Lord Posts: 17
    I saw Carl Sagan speak at a seminar

Sagan was a fool....
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Polk Audio SDA SRS's. They started me on this crazy hobby when I was a senior in high school.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited July 2019
    gyosa wrote: »

Would they be the speakers that changed your wife? :p;)
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Shame Skip didn’t have her in the room at Axpona...
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited July 2019
    It sure wouldn't hurt to have her with the next show. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Tony M wrote: »

You guys might be on to something for ol' Skip. Having some eye candy in the room would certainly build interest.....on what I'm not sure, but it would get those middle aged men into the room.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Infinity Quantum 3’s
    I bought them at a yard sale for $25.00 in Rockford ,Illinois. In 1997. They needed new foam surrounds which I paid $100 to get done. Used them for ten years with a humble HK 730 dual power . The sound they reproduced was a real eye opener for me. I have been chasing that sound ever since.
    Peace. Dxwlv8nkghffz.jpeg
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    It was a Bose HTIB that changed me forever. For real! I knew I never wanted to hear that sound again and that pretty much anything I would buy after that would be great.
    I think for me it would have been my Toshiba mini system I bought myself when I was 11. My own system, in my own room to listen to what ever I wanted. It was amazing. I'd plug in some headphones just before bed and listened to music while reading my MAD magazines.
  • aiconn
    aiconn Posts: 277
    DSkip wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

You guys might be on to something for ol' Skip. Having some eye candy in the room would certainly build interest.....on what I'm not sure, but it would get those middle aged men into the room.

There was a perk to being the North Star distributor...

There are actually some things in the works regarding this topic though.

That’s because you haven’t heard the speakers.

Those speakers can't make the sounds she would make. B)
    PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp
    Denon DVD 2910
    Quad 12L Active Monitors
    Marin Logan Dynamo 700W
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    aiconn wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

There was a perk to being the North Star distributor...

There are actually some things in the works regarding this topic though.

That’s because you haven’t heard the speakers.

Those speakers can't make the sounds she would make. B)

But you still have to have the right gear
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    edited July 2019
    Huh ?
    WTF ?
    You’re either on crack or 90 years old !
    😊😊

Less hassle - possibly
    Cost less - maybe
    More pleasure -doubtful .... we talking short term or long term ?
    😁

Bk
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I'll take the speakers...in the long run they'll give me more pleasure with less hassle and cost me much less.

Post edited by gyosa on
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Rent women. Lol.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Was the Polk speakers that steered me to the forum and forum members that steered me to other brands . Landing on 2 decent sets of towers 1.Montana sp3 and 2. Usher 6381. Both do a nice job in their application and would recommend either to anyone.

Hope Polk Audio comes out with something that could compete with either.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    THEN, Rosso Fiorentino Fiesole

bkn-20170923192828289-0923_00982_001_01p.jpg?20170923192926

Total misrepresentation. I bet she can't even make a good marinara sauce. Could they not find an attractive Italian woman? :p
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited July 2019
    Deleted
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    jdjohn wrote: »

Total misrepresentation. I bet she can't even make a good marinara sauce. Could they not find an attractive Italian woman? :p

Not without shaving her back first...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    jdjohn wrote: »

Not without shaving her back first...

Don't let Tonyb read this!!! I'm seeing all kinds of Soprano type retribution in the near future.
  • Polk Monitor 7 w/ a Mitsubishi DAR-20 receiver that I got after working at a pizza restaurant and saving for 6 months.
    HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
    BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
    2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
    Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
    Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    None that i owned but sitting down at the local stereo shop a pair of ohm walsh 5 (IIRC) were very nice.