Goodbye Pioneer / Onkyo

dpowell
dpowell Posts: 3,050
edited July 2019 in The Clubhouse
With the new version of Android Pie, the Pioneer iControl AV app can no longer connect to the receiver. Thousands of Pioneer users have lost this convenience once their smart devices update to Pie. I reached out to Pioneer tech support asking if the app would be updated to solve this issue. I received the following response this morning:
_____
"Hello,

Upon investigation, we have found that due to the age of the application we are not capable of updating the app to control the unit. We apologize for the inconvenience."
_____

When I invest significant money in a piece of gear, I expect that I should be able to use the full feature set of the device for the the life of the device. Pioneer not fixing the Pandora authentication issue was an annoyance. Not fixing this app which provides a vast amount of receiver control functions that are not available on the regular remote is totally unacceptable.

Pioneer just lost my business for life.
____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Yea that sucks, I love my denon iOS remote. I will say that a $5 aftermarket app is better than denon's, and that is what I use. I am sure someone will fill in the gap...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Which app is the aftermarket one you’re using?
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited July 2019
    dpowell wrote: »
    With the new version of Android Pie, the Pioneer iControl AV app can no longer connect to the receiver. Thousands of Pioneer users have lost this convenience once their smart devices update to Pie. I reached out to Pioneer tech support asking if the app would be updated to solve this issue. I received the following response this morning:
    _____
    "Hello,

Upon investigation, we have found that due to the age of the application we are not capable of updating the app to control the unit. We apologize for the inconvenience."
    _____

When I invest significant money in a piece of gear, I expect that I should be able to use the full feature set of the device for the the life of the device. Pioneer not fixing the Pandora authentication issue was an annoyance. Not fixing this app which provides a vast amount of receiver control functions that are not available on the regular remote is totally unacceptable.

Pioneer just lost my business for life.

1. Thus modern technology. "Planned obsolescence" no longer requires careful mechanical engineering. Changing a couple of lines of code can turn any formerly useful product into a brick.

2. "Pioneer" (Onkyo) as such is no more, anyway.
    https://hdguru.com/sound-united-moves-to-acquire-onkyo-brands/
  • rooftop59
    jflail2 wrote: »
    Which app is the aftermarket one you’re using?

DeRemote for denon or marantz. Doesn’t help the OP unfortunately, but I am sure there is something similar...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    I hate to hear stories like this. There isn't even a true apology over the matter. I didn't even have to read the response from Onkyo/Pioneer to know that it would include the phrase, "sorry for the inconvenience." False customer service.

Another option would be to keep an old device around as your "remote".

Or, as RT says, someone else will fill in. If the platform is popular enough, someone might step up, though I'm not sure why anyone would choose to be an app developer these days. Have you ever read some of the reviews and feedback these poor guys get in the app stores? Extremely rude and demanding, often on free or low cost apps.
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    I won’t buy any product that loses functionality based upon the whim of the manufacturer....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Thanks Rooftop. Using a Denon in the living room so just installed that app.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • dpowell
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Makes sense why they would have zero motivation to keep current customers happy.

____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2019
    I won’t buy any product that loses functionality based upon the whim of the manufacturer....

Not a fan of the Apple ecosystem then, I presume?

:)
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Makes sense why they would have zero motivation to keep current customers happy.
    That's my guess, yes. :/
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Yamaha is doing the same thing, no quobuz for products developed prior to 2018...

Just the new trend
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mhardy6647
    it's not all that new (remember when OTA digital TV took over and NTSC analog went dark?) -- but it is accelerating.

Wait 'til the IOT is pervasive in folks' homes. You pad into the kitchen one morning, and the display on the fridge says
    Samsung says it is time for you to get a new 'fridge, Dave

bt5pdhmyelc8.png

• dpowell
    The crazy thing is it isnt rocket science to modify a few lines of code to fix a problem. Mind boggling that a company is willing to take a PR hit when an app fix seems like such a low cost way to score a big win.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    There were also numerous cases years ago where companies said their expensive home theater preamps could be upgraded in the future via firmware or an add on card. In most cases those coulds never materialized. Losing functionality that was already there is a new one though. They’re probably covered by some lengthy legal disclaimers in their warranty sheet to the effect that the product is not guaranteed to work later due to circumstances beyond their control.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Hmm. Thanks for the reminder to uninstall the app from my phone! Sold my SC-91 months ago...
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 327

That pretty much rules out anything that connects to the network.

If companies are going to drop support they should be forced to release the code or schematics of the product. That would change the dynamic a bit.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    How did we ever survive in the 60's & 70's with equipment that wasn't firmware upgradeable?

Just fine...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • rooftop59
    steveinaz wrote: »
    How did we ever survive in the 60's & 70's with equipment that wasn't firmware upgradeable?

Just fine...

How did they survive in the 1800s without electricity and running water??? 😂
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • mhardy6647

Just fine...

... and there was one interface

nkjtnatg5t0r.png

OK, two

5aia4gb4cohs.png

B)

• mhardy6647
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Just fine...

How did they survive in the 1800s without electricity and running water??? 😂

Hand to hand combat -- to the death.

:)
  • mhardy6647
    stevep wrote: »

That pretty much rules out anything that connects to the network.

If companies are going to drop support they should be forced to release the code or schematics of the product. That would change the dynamic a bit.

The EU offers some protections against obsolescence to its citizen consumers. At least, last I knew, they did.

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Well, that blows. One of the main reasons I like my Pioneer receiver is the ability to control the zone 2 functionality from my phone. Prior to the Pioneer, I was using glitchy RF remotes & repeaters, truly frustrating. The Pioneer will be out the door before I ever consider going back to that.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    As mentioned find a older iPhone that someone doesn’t want, but it for a few bucks and then never install updates lol....

I’ve got my wife’s old iPhone 5 for my daughter to act like she’s got a phone, and my old 6+ to get repaired at some point simply because it would be a nice backup..
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • dpowell

Agreed. Polk released schematics for all the SDA's which has greatly benefitted this community. It would cost pioneer nothing to release the app source code.
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 327
    It would cost pioneer nothing to release the app source code.

It dawned on me that perhaps the underlying problem is that during the merger they lost the source and can't fix it even if they wanted. Or that it was farmed out and they never had it.
  • mhardy6647
    ... or they want their customers to buy new stuff.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    It would cost pioneer nothing to release the app source code.

It dawned on me that perhaps the underlying problem is that during the merger they lost the source and can't fix it even if they wanted. Or that it was farmed out and they never had it.
    This is what happened to the McIntosh MS750. They did not control the source code to begin with, and when the company they used failed, so too did the MS750...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I have actually found "Simple Remote" to have a much broader range of functionality than respective brand apps. Simple Remote only does their remote control app. That's it. So they can create a much more finished product to provide even more functionality than the pre/pro manufacturer can and looks way more polished.

While someone like Sound United (Denon, Marantz and Pioneer and Onkyo now too lol) has to consider the ramifications of providing a product that will not encourage a user to upgrade...no repeat business if someone is happy with their product for years to come.

Honestly, at this point, you are better off finding a universal remote app that you like and sticking with that. I use 2 different versions of Simple Remote (one on my original iPad Mini that doesn't update anymore and one on my current gen iPad mini that has the latest and greatest version of the app) and both of them do everything I could ever hope for or want and the cost was a pittance compared to replacing my hardware.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    You paid your money and you took your chances.. Pioneer lost in your long deal..
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,893
    Two suggestions:
    1. Try an iOS device, even a borrowed one (an iPod or iPad would be perfect).
    2. Try a Logitech Harmony remote. They have stored commands that may not have even been on the original remote for 270K devices.

The iOS option is likely to be the easiest. The iControlAV application is still available from the iOS App Store. If you can test it, and it works the way you want (which seems likely), you could easily buy a refurbished iPod or iPad for less than brand new (and they will look absolutely 100% new anyway) and solve your problem that way.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished

The Harmony option will require a bit of work, and it can be a bit overwhelming to get everything set up properly, but an RF hub is available, and if done properly, it works very well.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/harmony-universal-remotes
    Alea jacta est!