Acoustic panels

joecoulson
joecoulson Posts: 4,943
edited June 2019 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Have any of you made simple acoustic panels from wood frames, sponge or insulation guts and fabric outer? Thoughts on their performance vs professionally made?
Thanks all.

Comments

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    I made some for my son's studio. Use Rockwool for sound absorption. For covering, we just got some course weave material from the local fabric store. They work very well. Sometimes I borrow them to put on the walls beside my LSi15's and I'm amazed how the sound stage opens up.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    I've made several. They work very well and aren't eyesores like traditional wall treatments which I ended up taking down in favor of them. I used 2'' square wood for the frame the size of the beach or bath towel I was using and used foam acoustic panels cut to size underneath.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    I bought mine from, https://www.soundproofcow.com/product-category/acoustic-panels/fabric-wrapped-acoustic-panels/

It was the easiest way for me. They look nice and work well.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    If you search the title of your thread in the forum you’ll find a number of member threads on DIY and professional treatments. You can even see mine from 2013 when I made some ‘portable’ ones.

I have been very happy with my DIY panels.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited June 2019
    You have access to nice WAF fabrics so DIY can look great and match your decor. I just went with GIK myself. If you want art panels, you can upload a pic of yours or choose from many they offer.

I had recovered some GIK panels that had the base burlap type covering with Guilford of Maine acoustic fabric. Wife liked Silver Papier. I ordered GIK bass traps to match.

This is one source for GIK fabric.

https://acousticalwallfabric.com/guilford-fr701/acoustical-wall-fabric/acoustic-panels/guilford-of-maine/fabric/fr701-fabric-2/acoustic-fabrics/sound-absorbing-fabrics/acoustically-transparent-fabric/acoustic-insulation-materials/
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Great info fellas, and the pics help tremendously
    Thank You
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    If you are interested in DIY... At the time I built mine, this was the cheapest place I could find to order OC703. It's the shipping cost that gets you. Not sure if they are still the cheapest, I haven't price checked in a long time.

https://www.buyinsulationproductstore.com/

They also carry Guilford of Maine (acoustic transparent) fabric that comes in wider widths than most other fabrics. But I went the cheaper route and used fabric from Joann Fabrics. They have a coupon page:

https://www.joann.com/coupon/

You want breathable fabric (loose weave). Tight, none breathable fabric can, in theory, reflect highs instead of absorb them. A none-issue for bass traps. For best absorption you want an air gap between the insulation and wall.

Also keep an eye out on Craigslist. I purchased six 2" thick panels already built on CL and disassembled them to make 4" panels. Then later found two leftover full boxes from a project, of 4" thick OC703 from ATS that I bought for dirt cheap on CL.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I can't remember who posted this, to give them credit.

http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I want to do this but haven't figured out how to follow the Western motif of my living room yet.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited June 2019
    I traded my SRS 2 for a complete acoustic treatment for my small humble room. Guy came up from Miami did several messument with some mic's and a PC. Placed 9 Owens Corning 1 inch glass fiber and two bass traps. I added 4 more corner bass traps later.

Before I made this deal I was going to go with Roxul. Here is one of the videos I liked for the DIY.

https://youtu.be/41liBn-QNW4

You can use the same stuff for some acoustic panels.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    edited June 2019
    I purchased 4 * 24x48x2 panels from acoustimac... Only 250 shipped with the executive cloth and cornings insulation

They are not as nicely built as GIK but just as effective. I am pleased with the results. I store mine when not using the 2 channel rig.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Just added an 8x10 wool rug to my seating area (Hand me down from the wife). I ageed to this grudgingly as I knew it would make the room too dead.
    Wrong!
    Once again in this hobby don't knock it to you try it.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    DSkip wrote: »
    I'm still an NBP dealer but personally I've fallen out of love with the wall approach. It has its merits but the mobile treatments are more where I lean to now. The tuning abilities they allow for are impossible to beat.

Also, don't stick strictly to absorption. Diffraction is a powerful tool too - just as powerful as absorption and twice as good when used together properly.

You know those crystals and doodads people put on the wall? The reason they do anything for your system is they introduce new resonances into the air. They are quite elementary if you think about it and not the voodoo so many people claim them to be. How much they actually impact the sound depends on how strong the resonances are. Keep this in mind if you add something to the room.

Tell us more Skip! Do you have any examples of diffraction doodads? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    ejd9i9nwyxgg.jpg
    w5gycatme5zj.jpg

Found these yesterday... Just a thought
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    Acoustimac sales panels for that
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Here are a few different diffusion panels:
    https://www.gikacoustics.com/product-category/diffusion-products/

This guy has several Youtube videos that has some good info. He has in the acoustic design business, so, there will also be some links to their products, but, does a good job on laying out some of the foundation of acoustical properties.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42ABushctZQ
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Thanks Kerry!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.