Auralic Vega G2 Up and Running....

Comments

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    DSkip wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    http://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-app.html

go to link scroll down to launch app store

On that page you can see the 'recent playlist' on the left side of the iPad. It's extremely convenient especially when one gets to rummaging around on Tidal to find new material.

Please give the pluging for tidal a rest..at least in threads I start and I said please. Never will I do tidal. Just want to see if like you said this app will work on my player. So far I haven't found it in the Apple store but when I get done with this movie I will try it again. Thanks Skip.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • tophatjohnny
    I'm good. Lightning is Auralic's own baby and I love it. Was curious but going to pass on using anythjng else for the G2. If my app sucked I'd sure try em all before sending it back but lightning is surprising me more everytime I use it. And only using it for my library. So cool. Thanks anyway brother. I did peek.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    I think Johnny said the rep told him the reason to upgrade to the Edge NQ was for Chromecast. That isn't any kind of reason to spend an additional $2,500 on a streamer. That shook me to the core - not because I have any love or experience for the product itself, but that the main reason they could justify spending over twice was much was because of a single feature that, as far as I know, isn't a real appeal for ANY clientele who would spend $4,000 on such an item.

At this point, I just want to spend time with it to see how good it can really be. $4,000 is a tough price point for any streamer, DAC built-in or no, and there is a lot of competition out there. Spending some time researching and exploring with Johnny on this one actually introduced me to a few different and interesting products.
    This sounds like Cambridge is looking to grow, so they hired a seasoned sales rep, not a seasoned audio guy. Unfortunately for them I don't think being a seasoned seller translates well into being able to move high end audio. Time will tell.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453

On that page you can see the 'recent playlist' on the left side of the iPad. It's extremely convenient especially when one gets to rummaging around on Tidal to find new material.

Please give the pluging for tidal a rest..at least in threads I start and I said please. Never will I do tidal. Just want to see if like you said this app will work on my player. So far I haven't found it in the Apple store but when I get done with this movie I will try it again. Thanks Skip.

Wow, I didn't take this as a plug for anything. I'm lurking trying to gain more insight in to the whole streaming medium. I've been following PS Audio's forum pertaining to their upcoming streamer release, and, at the prices some of these units are going for I'm interested in any quirks that I might need to avoid. I don't understand the "my thread and don't tread in it" mentality unless it's a for sale thread, or, something on a personal appeal (prayers, loss of a loved one, turning something political or religious). I'm picking up valuable bits of info that will aide in my buying decision.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Kerry, where did you find any info on the upcoming streamer? I asked them when I called and they had another higher end DAC coming out, but no streamer.
  • kharp1
    Check here:
    https://forum.psaudio.com/t/ps-audio-music-server-in-the-pipeline/3521/20

I have the thread saved on my computer at work, but, harder to find on my phone. I think the target date was earlier this year, but, they're still trying to get the interface where they want it.
  • tophatjohnny
    kharp1 wrote: »

Wow, I didn't take this as a plug for anything. I'm lurking trying to gain more insight in to the whole streaming medium. I've been following PS Audio's forum pertaining to their upcoming streamer release, and, at the prices some of these units are going for I'm interested in any quirks that I might need to avoid. I don't understand the "my thread and don't tread in it" mentality unless it's a for sale thread, or, something on a personal appeal (prayers, loss of a loved one, turning something political or religious). I'm picking up valuable bits of info that will aide in my buying decision.

Was just messing with Skip but glad to capture more than one 🐐 goat at a time. Feeling "InTIDALed"😂😂
  • kharp1
    Ah, man, you got me...I'm such a sucker! Has Qobuz been released in the US? No special equipment is needed, correct? Just the ability to play FLAC, right? I'm trying to get some learnin' so I can make an as educated guess as possible when I choose a streamer. Too much money to make a mistake to not get a function I truly need.
  • tophatjohnny
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Ah, man, you got me...I'm such a sucker! Has Qobuz been released in the US? No special equipment is needed, correct? Just the ability to play FLAC, right? I'm trying to get entrysome learnin' so I can make an as educated guess as possible when I choose a streamer. Too much money to make a mistake to not get a function I truly need.

Sorry brother, just getting over a pretty nasty illness that took a lot outta me. Still on the mend . I am no expert with the radio streaming but I know the Vega G2 does handle it. The lightning app is the "by far" the best app I have ever seen and there is options for tidal and Qobuz, I just don't use any of them. The library I have pit together is so massive and keeps growing all the time. I am not even lookin at numbers of albums anymore because it is just sick. and a real sickness of mine. I have been refered to several doctors for a cure but Witch Doctor already got to me first. :)

I went with the G2 after going through a few entry level players that were fun to use, and then talking to a ton of experts in the field, (some that wren't even Auralic dealers) and so many fingers poined me to the G2 as the one. It is simply put "A World Class Player" and if that's what you want in a stand alone unit, I think you would love the Vega G2. With all the options out there, it can get confusing but once I heard this little monster do it's dance I was DONE!! Maybe fourm member "doctorcilantro" will chime in as he has owned the G2 for a while and was sure keeping me upbeat while I was waiting to get mine delivered. !!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Quobu is un the USA. Strait high rez mo mqa or anything like that. Works nice in the lighting app.

Now I will admit Tidal has more in it and a bit more comple collections
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • joecoulson
    Brian, have you been drinking my friend?
  • tophatjohnny
    edited June 2019
    Was moving a little slow there for a while. That Pneumonia got into my darn blood because I thought it was a simpe flu that I could shake....NOT!!. Anyway, feeling a lot more normal and the Vega G2 is doing its thing like the champion player it really is.
    The Lightning DS app was something that took me up until this morning to really grasp as to it's capabilities and one feature I was hunting for (to no avail) was the shuffle option. Once I add (as many albums as I want to) to my playlist, all I have to do is play the first song and select the little shuffle icon at the top of the page and there it goes. The nicest shuffle function I have ever used. The lightning app hits a different song from a diffferent album every single time and that's what I didn't like about the Cambridge Audio SM6 app as well as the Cambridge Connect app. Both of those wiil play 2 and 3 songs in a row from an album before playing something from a different artist. That's ok too, I just like to chang it up every song!
    Makes it feel like a new ball game with this amazing player.

Also letting go of the nicest RCA IC's I have ever owned (not the easiest thing to do) for the Core Power Technologies Diamond Series XLR's as well as their Gold Valiant power cable. Both of these have over 150 hours on them now and have tightened the overall sound up very nice. Digging em!!

I am not going to go on and on about Vega G2 (anymore than I have already) but I am still very happy with my decision to get it, and dealing with Underwood HiFi Inc. was a real pleasure!
    Walt is a great guy and knows his stuff. I just wish all could hear this baby in action. Russ....where ya at???. I added a smoking area 2 blks behind my house just for ya brother! lol
  • joecoulson
    I have a feeling I will be taking either the same route or similar Johnny, might be latter this year but it's my one and only next upgrade
  • tophatjohnny
    joecoulson wrote: »
    I have a feeling I will be taking either the same route or similar Johnny, might be latter this year but it's my one and only next upgrade

One and only next upgrade? Come on Joey. The trouble with that statement is when you get a player that's in this category you're probably going to want to change a couple other things too. Those changes are what we're going to call upgrades.😂 In my case my ic's and my power cable sure made a significant difference. And I'm sure you have Apple products, am I right? If not you will need one . iOS no android. Love the iPad pro. Then there is one last upgrade that I.will do soon that isn't a lot of dough but is said to be a nice one. I shall hear.doon. And yes Joey.the G2 is so darn good. You.would love it. Now to enjoy it.
  • joecoulson
    I think I am all set for just that my friend
    I have some really decent cables (IMO), great power, great pre/amps, and great speaks. I have the iPhone XS Max and the iPad pro. I should be all set :)
  • tophatjohnny
    I think I am all set for just that my friend
    I have some really decent cables (IMO), great power, great pre/amps, and great speaks. I have the iPhone XS Max and the iPad pro. I should be all set :)

And warning. Do not attempt to listen to music from.the G2 while trying to sleep (unless the volume is whisper quiet) as the detail will.keep.you on your toes. This is the only source that has ever done this to my ears and it just leaves you wanting to hear more. ....back to it.
  • tophatjohnny
    I'm not kidding about the warning and Auralic ought to include one with this thing. I have never been so glued to wanting to hear more and having my music delivered in such a way that keeps me right there. If any of you are looking for or wanting a player that serves it up in ultimate style this is just what to expect. I don't work for nor gain a thing by sharing this except possibly your same happiness if you get yourself one. A little expensive?? Sure but so worth every penny if serious listening is what you are after... 5:30.am in Ohio and my G2 is singing away
    My wife and young ones have been outta state visiting family for past 9 days so taking advantage of every last second.to listen to the goodness.
    Johnny Winter one of my favorite guitar singers in the world with Sweet Papa John. This player is more than I ever hoped for and hope what ever player you own gives you similar pleasure. Took me quite the journey to be able to hear what I'm hearing so trust the excitement is real and far from wearing off but just breaking in.
    Happy Listening to all.
  • joecoulson
    These are simply stunning pieces.

4qriz67hvu80.jpeg
  • tophatjohnny

4qriz67hvu80.jpeg

The pic makes it look bigger than it actually is. And stunning the G line really is.
    I'm happy for your decision to get yourself one Joey and I do know the feeling.
    I don't use the coax out, just toss and RCA for tv and streaming tv. Both of those sound very nice too.
    Congrats again..
  • joecoulson
    Thanks man. You too bro
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

4qriz67hvu80.jpeg

The pic makes it look bigger than it actually is. And stunning the G line really is.
    I'm happy for your decision to get yourself one Joey and I do know the feeling.
    I don't use the coax out, just toss and RCA for tv and streaming tv. Both of those sound very nice too.
    Congrats again..

And, I'm happy to score Joe's hand me downs! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • joecoulson
    edited June 2019
    Always Dave, you get first dibs.
  • joecoulson
    So unfortunately my unit has to go back. There is an issue with the screen, probably the least expensive item on the unit. There are scan lines showing on the screen. Tried all ways to reset to no avail. Couldn’t find ANYTHING online where someone had the same issue. Posted the issue on Auralic’s support site.
    Got this response from the president of Auralic:

The display module is not installed properly and mostly the FPC cable on the back or was damaged during transportation. What we usually do is to replace the entire display module in case there is any potential problem. Please contact your local distributor and have this problem fixed.

So it’s gonna go back to Auralic. Fortunately Walter is such a stand up guy, not only did he send me a prepaid UPS label (which as I understand it in these situations, are the buyers responsibility) but he also going to assume liability for the faulty unit and send me a new one ASAP.
    Underwood hifi folks. Nice knowing that the dealer is customer centric.

So I’ll be packing it up tomorrow and be very sad because other than the screen, the unit has been absolutely stunning. The sound has been transformative in my rig.

I’ll look forward to getting a new one back up and running.

Pics of the issue

vcu6h6174gvw.jpeg
    ilzrj4bktl8f.jpeg
  • tophatjohnny
    So unfortunately my unit has to go back. There is an issue with the screen, probably the least expensive item on the unit. There are scan lines showing on the screen. Tried all ways to reset to no avail. Couldn’t find ANYTHING online where someone had the same issue. Posted the issue on Auralic’s support site.
    Got this response from the president of Auralic:

The display module is not installed properly and mostly the FPC cable on the back or was damaged during transportation. What we usually do is to replace the entire display module in case there is any potential problem. Please contact your local distributor and have this problem fixed.

So it’s gonna go back to Auralic. Fortunately Walter is such a stand up guy, not only did he send me a prepaid UPS label (which as I understand it in these situations, are the buyers responsibility) but he also going to assume liability for the faulty unit and send me a new one ASAP.
    Underwood hifi folks. Nice knowing that the dealer is customer centric.

So I’ll be packing it up tomorrow and be very sad because other than the screen, the unit has been absolutely stunning. The sound has been transformative in my rig.

I’ll look forward to getting a new one back up and running.

Pics of the issue

vcu6h6174gvw.jpeg
    ilzrj4bktl8f.jpeg

Not what ya wanna hear I know but it will be resolved and hearing is believing. Just waiting on some wax to make mine buzz a little smoother and then I'm close to slappin' a new ⌚ Rolex ⌚ up on my "2" to see what that might do!😂😂 see with my ears that is😂😂🎩
  • joecoulson
    Oh wow. Your gonna bite the bullet then?
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Jeez, Joe...such a picky-arse diva :D
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    edited July 2019
    ilzrj4bktl8f.jpeg
    I can't believe I'm the only one intelligent enough to figure this out. There's nothing wrong with that display. That's a music player and those lines are the "staff". The horizontal lines and spaces that each represent a different musical pitch or in the case of a percussion staff, different percussion instruments. You probably paid extra for it to display that option.

ul2i57kor55j.png

:smiley:
  • tophatjohnny
    Hermitism wrote: »
    ilzrj4bktl8f.jpeg
    I can't believe I'm the only one intelligent enough to figure this out. There's nothing wrong with that display. That's a music player and those lines are the "staff". The horizontal lines and spaces that each represent a different musical pitch or in the case of a percussion staff, different percussion instruments. You probably paid extra for it to display that option.

ul2i57kor55j.png

:smiley:

Every Good Boy Does Fine.

Face It!😂😂🎩