Auralic Vega G2 Up and Running....

124»

Comments

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 8,765
    Thanks guys. I will get it hooked up soon. Hopefully this weekend with any luck.
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,401
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I will get it hooked up soon. Hopefully this weekend with any luck.

You also have a Lumin or had a Lumin at one point correct?
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse RCA, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R,Wireworld Silver Eclipse SC, Tyler Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Aries Mini, W4S recovery, LKS MH-da004,

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11.
    Yeah I had the Lumin U1 Mini but sold it to @VR3
    Cool so memory of the U1 vs the G1 :)
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse RCA, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R,Wireworld Silver Eclipse SC, Tyler Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Aries Mini, W4S recovery, LKS MH-da004,

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11.
    Yeah. I primarily used the U1 with the Ruby DAC and I enjoyed that combination. What I did not enjoy is the way that the U1 handled internet radio stations.

I didn't sell the U1 for it's audio performance, but rather because of the software/app limitation.
  • Clipdat wrote: »
    I didn't sell the U1 for it's audio performance, but rather because of the software/app limitation.
    I think specific features are a key factor in streaming, more so than other areas of audio. Not radio specifically, but the fact that no matter how good a unit sounds, one feature can be a real deal breaker based on people's needs. The internet radio is a non-issue for some (me), but I totally get moving on if that's how you consume a lot of audio. I've heard of some people moving on for similar things. No USB input, no MQA, no I2S outputs, no Deezer/Quobuz, Roon, etc. I personally haven't ever given Auralic a real at streaming because only my work phone is Apple, so I find that element limiting.

Maybe someday we'll have a reasonably priced streamer that really does it ALL and sounds good, but I'm not holding my breath yet. But I will keep my fingers crossed for Auralic to release an Android OS app at some point.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
    @displayname Last August, I purchased an iPad Mini 7.9" for $400 strictly for controlling streaming apps. Worth every penny.
    I still have a lumin d1 (dac streamer combo) with a sbooster power supply on the kef rig For me, it plays from my nas, tidal, and qobuz plus full mqa and i like the way the app looks. I don't listen to internet radio so that's not a big deal for me.

The aries mini app on quboz tells me what kind of music and if its high rez or not. This is something i wish the lumin app did. When i am looking at new releases and discovering artists i have never heard of, this display comes in handy.

Both apps for me have been rock solid and don't crash a lot even on my old ipad mini i picked up back in.... 2012or 2013.

• Clipdat wrote: »
    @displayname Last August, I purchased an iPad Mini 7.9" for $400 strictly for controlling streaming apps. Worth every penny.
    Valid point, but I'm not sure internet radio means $400 to me. Which means the G1 would need to sound $1100 (G1 + ipad mini) better than the U1 mini for me to justify it.

And it may very well be worth that, but I haven't had the opportunity to find out. But luckily we've got friends like you who get the pleasure of getting hands on with both units and give us some insights to consider :)
    Discogs
  • Dr_WuDr_Wu Posts: 204
    Just got the newest iPad for $300. Works a treat, as the say. And, the 10 in. screen is easy on my older eyes. :)
    Speakers: Polk SDA-CRS+ 4.1TL/Wharfedale EVO4.3; Amp: Parasound A21 Halo; Pre: NAD C165BEE; Regenerator: PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant3; Streamer: Auralic Aries Mini/TeraDak; Phono: AT LP-3/VM540Ml; CD: Onkyo C390>ProJect DAC Box S2+/TeraDak; Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse7 speaker, High Fidelity Cables Reveal IC, Wireworld Silver Eclipse8 IC, Wireworld Silver Starlight digital coax; Power cables: NRG Custom Cables "The Five"
    edited September 3
    Valid point, but I'm not sure internet radio means $400 to me. Which means the G1 would need to sound $1100 (G1 + ipad mini) better than the U1 mini for me to justify it.

And it may very well be worth that, but I haven't had the opportunity to find out. But luckily we've got friends like you who get the pleasure of getting hands on with both units and give us some insights to consider :)

Just for the sake of clarity, I didn't buy the iPad for anything internet radio related. I just got it because it's the perfect form factor for controlling a streaming app. The screen is also gorgeous and has a super high resolution and crazy tight pixel density.

The issue with the way that the Lumin handled internet radio is because they use a third party service called TuneIn, versus handling it natively in their app. As a result, it would not pull artist and trackname information from my di.fm stations. Aurender and Auralic pull the track info, so it's just a shortsighted decision on Lumin's part to implement internet radio stations in this way.
  • tophatjohnnytophatjohnny Posts: 3,068
    I think the Vega G2 is more than reasonably priced considering the quality it spits out! I
    Went through the Cambridge line and while CA builds a great streamer, there was always something missing in the quality sound department! That became so obvious when I auditioned the Elac , moon , aurender , lumin and even gave the Naim a try! All great but it wasn’t until the Vega G2 arrived that I was all smiles! So reasonable was the pricing I had to do it!
    That and how important is that next level of quality sound to you?? I knew my ears were missing something big with the old way of listening to my labor of love and now it all makes so much sense!

I too was an Android “Mandroid” person and recently switched to the new iPhone and it is so much smoother than any android I
    Ever had (and I had a lot of them) I’ll never go back! I still have the iPad too but controlling my G2 with the new phone Is so nice!

Some sharing for those that may be caring!

Now to get that Vega quality sound going in my living room 5.2 set up...there lies a challenge I’m not even close to tackling but it is on my mind!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • how important is that next level of quality sound to you??
    Unfortunately how important the next level is, and how much cash I have available to get there are somewhat conflicting, lol.
    It'll all get there at some point. Just requires some time and saving.

Discogs