Sony TA-A1ES integrated amplifier

Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,559
edited July 2019 in Electronics
I purchased a Sony TA-A1ES integrated amplifier. I've been interested and curious about this product since I first read about it back in 2014, including this review: https://andreweverard.com/2014/02/19/review-sony-ta-a1es-amplifier/

I started thinking about it again and wanted to hear it, so I ordered one. I'm pretty sure it's actually discontinued now.

Here it is:

jef8c5tkxetx.jpg

Unecessarily large binding posts:

h0kaw16xul18.jpg

In the rack:

9cm503zcef4n.jpg

ld62s0t1oqaf.jpg

lhjkqz6q8kh7.jpg

Weighing in at 40lbs, it has a substantial feeling and seems to have quite good build quality. I let it run earlier just streaming a di.fm channel from the CXN V2 to verify it's functionality, so far so good.

It uses a Class A amplifier design where the volume knob is actually a bias adjustment. This was done to supposedly reduce heat and be more efficient. From their marketing speak: "For long-lasting, high performance, the TA-A1ES intelligently controls the bias by a volume position to heighten the sound quality. The built-in smart BIAS system controls the amp's BIAS based on the volume position. In doing so, the amp is able to utilize a field that experiences good transistor linearity without generating heat, so the sound quality always remains true."

Despite only playing it at lower volume levels, it still got quite warm, to the point where I couldn't keep my fingers on the vent above the heatsinks for longer than a few seconds.

Anyway, looking forward to logging some hours on it and evaluating it's sound.

Lastly, a word of warning for anyone thinking about getting one of these, the styrofoam inserts that Sony chose to use for their packaging material are woefully inadequate to protect this 40lb piece during transit. My inserts arrived trashed and broken into several pieces, but luckily there was no physical damage or operational issues.

I followed up with the retailer and explained the poor condition it arrived in. I ended up having them open up another one they had in their warehouse and it too had the compromised styrofoam inserts. Here are the photos they sent:

i5afm29pbdk5.jpg

j3gcdmpddssv.jpg

It's too bad Sony doesn't have a clue when it comes to packing materials to ensure safe transit of their products.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited July 2019
    Whatever you do, NEVER send it to the Sony Laredo, TX service center. It will come back in a different box with next to none or no packing material and the piece will likely have cosmetic damage from their techs.

Personally, I gave up on Sony audio gear years ago because of their house sound and serious lack of product support.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    edited July 2019
    I forgot to mention a few other questionable things that happened when I was unboxing it. I unwrapped/removed that white foam material shown in the photo above, and then went to touch the volume knob and as I touched it, a static electricity spark leapt from the knob to the front panel. I then realized that the friction of the amp shifting around during transit on the loose styrofoam inserts must've caused a static electricity buildup that was then released when I touched it. Bizarre.

Also when I picked it up and tilted it to either side, it sounded like there was a tiny piece of something inside moving around. But then I continued to tilt it every which way and could not hear anything after that. So I guess whatever that was is now stuck on something. haha.

Again, these things just go back to Sony's brainless packaging decisions with this product. Judging by how there's a few of these on TMR for sale, one of which with dented paneling, I'm not the first person to realize the epic packaging fail with these.

Regarding longevity, if I'm not mistaken I believe it has a 5 year warranty if you register it. But as you just mentioned Jesse, I'd be weary of actually needing to get it serviced. The way it is now the original packing is worthless and unable to be used for shipping again.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I for one think it looks great. I have a lot of love for Sony over the years. Their TV’s continue to be the staple for me since the 80’s. I have always wanted to try ES gear, but never did.
    Looking forward to your impressions.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    sliding bias = not Class A.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Interesting Doc. Sony’s description refers to it as class A, What would you characterize it as?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2019
    verb wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Interesting Doc. Sony’s description refers to it as class A, What would you characterize it as?

Class A, by definition, requires a bias point that has all (output) devices dissipating full power for 360 degrees of a wave cycle (whether there is signal or not present). Adjustable bias schemes have gone by many names over the years -- e.g., Technics' New Class A. I don't think they fall into any of the traditional amplifier classes of operation -- they just add complexity and their own, transient forms of nonlinear distortion relative to Class A (which is typically lowest distortion but also least efficient, of course), Class B (relatively high levels of crossover distortion and, of course, all odd-order harmonic distortion components), and the various, intermediate bias point Class AB, AB1 (etc?) -- which offer intermediate distortion levels for push-pull amplification.

Note that AB and B operation is "balanced" (push-pull) by definition; Class A can be SE or PP.

• joecoulson
    Wow. I’m really dumb.
  • verb
    Thanks Mark! I found this:
    337bn4rk81iy.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited July 2019
    Joe, you made me laugh!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • joecoulson
    Well at least I have that Harry! B)
  • mhardy6647
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Wow. I’m really dumb.

how so?

I mean, there's nothing wrong with sliding bias schemes -- they make a lot of sense in terms of energy efficiency -- I get aggravated by marketing playing so fast and loose with fairly well established nomenclature, mostly because if misrepresents a product. But that's marketing, isn't it?

I remember a high-end decaffeinated coffee that advertised using Nature's pure effervescence to remove the caffeine. Translated into reality :) this means that the coffee was decaffeinated using supercritical carbon dioxide liquid. It's arguably the
    best way
    to decaffeinate, but to put such flowery language around it is usually just an excuse to charge more B)

Similarly (?) I think "Class A" sounds like "the best class" so folks expect, and are comfortable, to pay more for it -- whether they're buying it or not. Heck, the amp topology in this Sony may cost more to implement than true Class A (since the latter can be very simple indeed, especially if the amp is single-ended, with one output device per channel, like Pass's "Amp Camp Amp") -- but the perceived value in the name Class A may be the most important thing to the brochure copywriters.

:|

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Interested in hearing how it sounds in operation. It's the companion to the Sony HAP-Z1ES I have been enjoying the last few years, especially with DSD and high resolution PCM files.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Regarding longevity, if I'm not mistaken I believe it has a 5 year warranty if you register it. But as you just mentioned Jesse, I'd be weary of actually needing to get it serviced. The way it is now the original packing is worthless and unable to be used for shipping again.

You can be “wary” or “leery” of something that is suspect. Even “leary” (spelling not used in common writing in over a hundred years).
    But if you are “weary” of something then you are tired of it.
    Sorry, a pet peeve of mine.

On a topic related note, I like the look and design of this guy but like Jesse, I haven’t been a fan of Sony’s house sound in quite some time. Which sucks because they still throw out a pretty piece from time to time.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Every ES piece I've ever had, or, had experience with, ran very warm. I use to have great respect for the ES line 30 years ago, but, not so much now. Agree with Jesse in their product support and customer relations suuuccck.
  • verb
    Interesting comments on the customer service aspect, as I had issues with a HT receiver, had to send it in, took 2 months to get it back. Lord, IIRC it went to Laredo! :smile: Been working fine ever since.

What about their TV's? Highly regarded, I have a Sony 4k TV, happy with it, no issues. Lot's of raves here and elsewhere on the TV's.
  • kharp1
    I owned several of their CRT TV's over a 35 year span and believed their tubes to be the best. No issues ever. Their LED sets didn't do it for me like their tubes did. My father just bought a Sony LED, but, I have not owned one.
  • verb
    Well, I'd like to offer a congrats Drew! It does like very nice, and very interested in your impressions! :smile:
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    I can’t speak on audio components but I love my x930e tv
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • kharp1
    Sorry if my post came off wrong, Drew. I've not heard this piece and I hope it brings you satisfaction like a couple of the ES pieces brought me at one time.
  • Clipdat
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    You can be “wary” or “leery” of something that is suspect. Even “leary” (spelling not used in common writing in over a hundred years).
    But if you are “weary” of something then you are tired of it.
    Sorry, a pet peeve of mine.

Sorry Ryan, it was nearly 1:00am when I wrote that and I'd been up since 6am that morning.
  • joecoulson
    I, like Dave, am curious to hear about this also. Just because some have had bad experiences with Sony, doesn’t mean that every piece follows the same results.
    I wonder how it will do against the PS A stuff.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Shut up Ryan :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    F1nut wrote: »
    Whatever you do, NEVER send it to the Sony Laredo, TX service center. It will come back in a different box with next to none or no packing material and the piece will likely have cosmetic damage from their techs.

Personally, I gave up on Sony audio gear years ago because of their house sound and serious lack of product support.

That is the truth. I have a real horror story about Laredo not doing a warranty repair, and returning it in a POS box instead of the original box. Also, I thought Laredo was closed down, but not sure.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    It appears to still be open for destruction.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Sounds like the Denon service I was received. I sent in my Denon 2900 for warranty work in factory box and packaging. They in turn sent it back in a box way too big and absolutely no padding what so ever. The box couldn't have been more round. Needless to say it was destroyed. Denon TRIED to blame me as that was the way it was sent to them. I gladly showed them the pictures I had taken as I packed and shipped.
    I have no idea why they would have shipped it that way it just boggled my mind. I was very upset with Denon for some time.

They did finally sent a new 2900 which worked flawlessly until the drawer belt broke.
  • Clipdat
    Here is some more information about this amplifier, which is definitely not Class A:

"The TA–A1ES uses a Class A amplification circuit to deliver only what is needed of its 80 watts per channel, avoiding additional heat production."

"The 80–watt–per–channel TA–A1ES uses a Class A amplification circuit hooked up to a tracking power supply that delivers only as much power as needed, so almost none is wasted as heat."

"Rated at 80 watts per channel (20Hz-20kHz, 8Ω, 0.09% THD), the TA-A1ES amplifier is a Class A design, with some interesting wrinkles. The advantage of Class A topology is that there's no crossover distortion when the signal changes polarity. The disadvantage is inefficiency; over 50% of the energy consumed by a conventional Class A amplifier is wasted as heat.

To get around this conundrum, the TA-A1ES employs a Smart Bias design that adjusts the bias voltage for the output transistors according to the position of the volume control, so that they operate in Class A mode all (or almost all) of the time. Because the amplifier's power supply dynamically adjusts bias voltage to match output, the amplifier is much more efficient than traditional Class A designs."
  • F1nut
    That's a lot of fuses.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Indeed. Also when powering it on there are like 6 or 7 relay clicks before it's ready. I'll count them tomorrow.