Yamaha Quobuz support for models made before 2018

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,965
Yamaha is not planning to add Quobuz support to any of their models made before 2018...

If you own one of these products, please feel free to send them an email explaining how dissatisfied you are -

supportreply@yamaha.com

714-522-9105, select option 5, Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m Pacific Time
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    I just sent them an email.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    edited July 2019
    Yeah..I'll never buy another Yamaha receiver again😂😂😂
    I'm sure they will catch up on the pay music providers before too long. Hope so for you at least..
    Keep us posted as to progress. Digging our RX A 1060 but we don't do pay radio. The processor is great. Never heard it's power though I imagine it's ok.?

When I get back in the saddle Mon or Tues next week I'll call as well and act 😡. C'mon Polk.lets get this done!😄🎩
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • VR3
    Im not saying stop buying their products, I just think it is silly they are not supporting products made literally 7 months ago.

The WXC50 and WXA50 are CURRENT products and will not be receiving the update. Ridiculous really. Aventage 3070, top of the line receiver a year ago... no update... silly
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    What are they waiting for? Qobuz to pay them to do it?
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Clipdat wrote: »
    What are they waiting for? Qobuz to pay them to do it?

Usually is about the money.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • VR3
    They are putting quboz on the newer lines, which is all on the same software, can't be that difficult
  • VR3
    In fact, Quobuz was supported on the wxc50 previously and dropped about 2 years ago

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/info/hi-res-guide/yamaha-wxc-50-a-modern-musiccast178741
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    VR3 ,
    Do you have a WXC/A -50 ?
    I have 3 of them and find them outstanding- especially for a couple hundred bucks ...

I really wish they would support TIDAL’s MQA .....

BK
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • VR3
    I do, they are a fantastic product, not sure why Yamaha is not supporting them. The dac is actually pretty good but not as good as an independent dac of course
  • gyosa
    edited July 2019
    If Yamaha supported quobuz hi Rez in the past , logic would dictate no reason they can’t support tidal MQA ....WTF ?

Yeah , for the money it can’t be beat ...
    My ears aren’t that good ....

Bk

Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • I just sent them an e-mail regarding my RX-A 1070.

• VR3
    Excellent, keep it coming!
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    I am not putting any dampers on the campaign, I just have some thoughts on while almost new equipment is not getting the upgrade. I think the campaign is worth doing, not just for Yamaha, but for Quobuz support.

It was my understanding that Quobuz is still a trial in the US, meaning they may decide to pull out of the US market. I can see a larger company not rolling out the updates to older players for an app that is not well established if there has already been a firmware change. It may yet happen, but it may either take some time, or they may wait until there is higher demand, or Quobuz is committed to the US. Sometimes it is funding. Some apps pay to get added to equipment, and/or help with firmware updates. A line has to be drawn somewhere. It does not always make sense.

I don't know the specifics, but a friend uses a streaming app from his iPod and digitally connects to his receiver via USB. The receiver is early 2010, so apps are limited, but with the iPod he has access to other apps. I think if the receiver has Apple or Android support, and app supports it the device will act as a digital conduit to the receiver. That could be an option.
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    Does anyone know if the WXC-50 currently supports Qobuz 16/44.1 and Hi-Res FLAC streaming?

Crutchfield lists Qobuz support, but not sure if that is accurate.

I am trialing and enjoying the new Qobuz Studio Premier service with a Chromecast Audio connected to a Marantz AV7704 processor via optical cable. Unfortunately, Heos has no Qobuz support.

I would rather used a hard-wired network connection with Qobuz, so looking for a streamer with a wired network connection, like the WXC-50.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • VR3
    No and they don't plan to
  • adam2434
    VR3 wrote: »
    No and they don't plan to

Well darn. I'll scratch that one off the list.

Thanks.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
  • gyosa
    edited November 2019
    Adam ,
    Ok ,
    Here’s what you do ......

I have 3 of the wxc-50’s....
    They are wonderful units .....
    I’m using one of them as a SIRIUSXM transport into a Cambridge 851n.

They will not decode Tidal Masters and don’t have support for qobuz.

However , the MConnect PLAYER app ( iOS or Android ) will decode the first MQA unfold for tidal and is also compatible with quobuz .... both are integrated into Mconnect.

Mconnect will stream full blown hi rez quobuz via UpNP to the Yamaha , as well as first unfold MQA from Tidal...

Sounds every bit as good as if it were native to the Yamaha ...and the interface is great ... actually, I prefer it over the CRAPPY Cambridge Connect app ...3yiy01tvlvr0.png

td4lpjpjlkly.png

Here’s a screenshot of the app showing qobuz and tidal integration...
    See all those wxc-50’s and the 851 ?
    If you google you’ll find that Mconnect is a official MQA partner ...

Try it , there’s a free and paid version.... both work the same ...

Btw , if you do want a wxc-50 , PM me and I’ll tell ya where you can probably get one at a substantial discount ...
    Bk

• adam2434
    gyosa, thanks for the info above. I will look into that. Do you also need to install a DLNA/UPnP on your PC for that?

I also read that BubbleUPnP integrates with Qobuz, but need to research more on how that works. I assume (but not sure) that this will enable Qobuz playback on any DLNA/UPnP renderer. Thus, Heos and blu-ray players with DLNA/UPnP would work as playback devices too, and I would not need to buy a separate streaming box.
  • adam2434
    Also, with the MConnect PLAYER app, is the Qobuz stream going "through" your phone rather than directly from the Qobuz server via your network?
  • gyosa
    adam2434 wrote: »
    gyosa, thanks for the info above. I will look into that. Do you also need to install a DLNA/UPnP on your PC for that?

Dunno about that ... I would think a pc would already be UpNP / DLNA compliant ...

I also read that BubbleUPnP integrates with Qobuz, but need to research more on how that works. I assume (but not sure) that this will enable Qobuz playback on any DLNA/UPnP renderer.

Yes , correct.

Thus, Heos and blu-ray players with DLNA/UPnP would work as playback devices too, and I would not need to buy a separate streaming box.

• gyosa
    edited November 2019
    It does not stream thru your phone ....it streams directly from the qobuz server to the Yamaha ..... once it’s playing you can turn your phone off and it’ll keep playing....
    It does the exact same thing as if it was integrated into the Yamaha .
    The app is merely telling the Yamaha what to do ....
    The Yamaha will only do 16/44.1 for tidal ..... using mconnect ( mconnect tells Tidal to stream the first unfold ) it will do the first unfold 24bit/48khz...... a noticeable improvement.

Since qobuz streams as flac files at 24/192 you don’t need a MQA dac......
    It will stream 24/192 to the Yamaha via mconnect.

I highly recommend the Yamaha as a cost effective unit ..... I have 2 plugged directly into amplifiers using in preamp mode.
    The other one is just acting as a SIRIUSXM transport connected to the Cambridge 851 via digital coax ...... and it does sound better bypassing the Yamaha dac and using the Cambridge......but connected directly into the other 2 amps it still sounds great.

Hope this helps...

Bk

adam2434 wrote: »
    Also, with the MConnect PLAYER app, is the Qobuz stream going "through" your phone rather than directly from the Qobuz server via your network?

Post edited by gyosa on

• VR3
    I'll have to check out the mconnect app, sounds great

I like my wxc50, sounds great paired worth my dac. Have had lots of issues with the preamp functions so that is bypassed and I use a passive pre which sounds better that running through the circuitry of the Yamaha
  • gyosa
    edited November 2019

From qobuz.com

9ksesjtqmu5f.jpeg

Bk

• gyosa
    edited November 2019
    Here’s a Tidal MASTERS track being played on my Cambridge 851n via Mconnect .... 24bit /48 kHz vs. 16bit / 44.1

The Cambridge won’t natively stream Tidal above 16 / 44.1 - but it will using Mconnect....

Ditto for the wxc-50 .....

Granted , it’s only the first software unfold of MQA - but it’s better than 16/44.1 , if you don’t have a MQA dac......

07rgylbcrwvl.jpeg

7bm4cv9pwue9.jpeg

• adam2434
    Thanks for the additional info!
  • gyosa
    edited November 2019
    That’s too bad .....
    I haven’t had any issues with any of mine using the pre amp mode ....
    I’ve actually been quite satisfied. I do have one running thru a PS Audio 4.6 pre amp in passive mode and the sound quality is the same as directly into the amp ( obviously )....

I do like the WiFi control of volume etc.....

I will say , however , that using the wxc-50 to play SIRIUSXM via digital coax into the Cambridge is noticeably better ..... the SIRIUSXM is horribly compressed ....

Bk

VR3 wrote: »
    I'll have to check out the mconnect app, sounds great

I like my wxc50, sounds great paired worth my dac. Have had lots of issues with the preamp functions so that is bypassed and I use a passive pre which sounds better that running through the circuitry of the Yamaha

• adam2434
    Been testing the BubbleUPnP app for Android with Qobuz, and it is working well streaming to a Sony BDP. Kind of cool that you can use your own FLAC library (minimserver running on my PC) and Qobuz within a single app.

I'll also test with Heos on my Marantz processor as the renderer. I expect this will work well too.
  • VR3
    Tried the mconnect app today set up in my spare time... If it streams to the Yamaha, great app and easy to use

Appreciate the info!