Lee Iacocca has passed away...

Father of the Ford Mustang and former chairman of Chrysler Lee Iacocca has died of natural causes at his home in Bel Air, Calif., his family said Tuesday. He was 94.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/lee-iacocca-dead-chrysler-ford-mustang
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I saw that earlier. Getting old does have its drawbacks. RIP.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    Rip Lee. Long live the K car.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Bummer I should be so lucky to live to be 94
    R.I.P Lee
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    If memory serves.. I believe the "Joe Isuzu" pitchman was created as a spoof of Mr. Iacocca, as he was doing Chrysler commercials for a time back in the mid 1980's...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Wow, I just watched A Faster Horse* last night, a documentary on the 50th anniversary Mustang, in which he was featured prominently.

* Currently streaming on Amazon Prime
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Thank you, Lee.

ockac8qqick0.jpg
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I rode as a passenger quite a few miles in my brother's 64 1/2 Mustang and LOVED the way it rode. I rode as a passenger in the mountains and foothills around Culpepper Va. around 1976.

Maybe the mood enhancements had a small part in the enjoyment factor. I drove it for a couple of miles too and loved the rack and pinion stearing design!

Once in a while, a great designer designs a style that appeals to millions of us.

If Heaven allows cars, God is letting him design something up there now if that's what Lee wants to do again. :)

R.I.P. Mr. Iacocca. o:)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    My first ride was my mom's 82 K car. All 80hp of it. Certainly not a cool ride in 88, but it got me where I need to go. RIP Lee.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    There weren’t very many cool domestic cars in the 80’s anyway...

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    My first car was a used K-car. That thing sucked, but Chrysler sold a lot of them.

Rest in peace to a great salesman.
  • DaveHo

Three letters, GNX! Dad had a regal. On the rare occasion I got to drive it, had lots of guys wanting to race. Though his was the N/A 3.8, it looked cool.
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    edited July 2019
    Lee was above all a great salesman. And, while he has the distinction of helping to create one of the most iconic American cars (Ford Mustang), he also helped create one of the worst American cars (Chrysler K car). My family had a Chrysler K car while I was in high school in the 1980s and I remember my father saying (practically until the day he passed) that it was the worst car he ever bought (he bought it for my mother as a family car for her to shuttle around myself and my 6 siblings, while he enjoyed his classic BMW 2002).
  • DaveHo
    pglbook wrote: »
    Lee was above all a great salesman. And, while he has the distinction of helping to create one of the most iconic American cars (Ford Mustang), he also helped create one of the worst American cars (Chrysler K car). My family had a Chrysler K car while I was in high school in the 1980s and I remember my father saying (practically until the day he passed) that it was the worst car he ever bought (he bought it for my mother as a family car for her to shuttle around myself and my 6 siblings, while he enjoyed his classic BMW 2002).

You sure we're not brothers!? That was the exact reasoning my father gave. Damn thing had AM only, crank windows, and no A/C!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited July 2019
    I was in the crank window / no AC family bracket too.

But it sure was nice to look at other parents or relative's cool cars and DREAM! ;)

Well, I'm 62 in a month, and I can go buy something cool now if I wanted too. Payment plan of course.

It sure feels good to know that...as I still drive my 95 Camry. :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    pglbook wrote: »
    he also helped create one of the worst American cars (Chrysler K car)
    That may be so, but it was a remarkably successful platform, if only based on the number sold. My father-in-law (at the time) loved his 85 Reliant K and eventually traded it in for an 89 - same model and color. I seem to remember him buying a Plymouth Horizon, too. Personally, I thought they weren't great, but they served him well, and most importantly I think, they were cheap.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    RIP Lee
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    My parents had a K car station wagon when I was in high school. I thank Mr. Iacocca for that—lots of room in the back of those wagons!
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    DaveHo wrote: »

Three letters, GNX! Dad had a regal. On the rare occasion I got to drive it, had lots of guys wanting to race. Though his was the N/A 3.8, it looked cool.

NA? Naturally Aspirated? Uhm, weren't all the GNX Buicks SFI? Turbocharged (special ceramic turbo in the GNX vs the standard turbo in the T-Type, T-Package, GN, Turbo Regal varients). Intercooled? 547 made/modified by ASC McLaren?
    1987-buick-gnx-003-is-a-fast-time-capsule-offered-at-no-reserve_2.jpg

I owned a 1987 Turbo Regal in white with the T-Package and blacked out trim/molding.
    5tvhj5e55uij.jpg
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • DaveHo
    halo wrote: »

NA? Naturally Aspirated? Uhm, weren't all the GNX Buicks SFI? Turbocharged (special ceramic turbo in the GNX vs the standard turbo in the T-Type, T-Package, GN, Turbo Regal varients). Intercooled? 547 made/modified by ASC McLaren?
    1987-buick-gnx-003-is-a-fast-time-capsule-offered-at-no-reserve_2.jpg

I owned a 1987 Turbo Regal in white with the T-Package and blacked out trim/molding.
    5tvhj5e55uij.jpg

What I meant was his wasn't a turbo Regal, but people mistook it for one.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited July 2019
    What I meant was his wasn't a turbo Regal, but people mistook it for one.

Oh, I see. I couldn't understand why people would want to race a non-turbo Regal with a V6. lol.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited July 2019
    Lee Iacocca and Ricardo Montalban. Two great car salesmen...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus