Yet Another LG Appliance Fail

Comments

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    daddyjt wrote: »
    What pizzes me off about the Samsung I have is that the parts that are failing are the ones that should be outlasting the rest of the fridge. Rust??? Shelves and drawers falling apart???

Try Amazon - the ice maker on our Samsung went out (long out of warranty). The repair company wanted $425 to replace it. I found it on Amazon for about $120. YouTube video showed me how to replace it, - took all of 20 minutes.

Not saying this is a viable option for all repairs, but it’s at least worth the research....

af7xs304zhlp.jpeg

I need to replace the friggen door, not the icemaker. :/ It is a well-known issue and is not covered at all by Samsung under any circumstance as "cosmetic issues' are outside of their warranty policy. my shelves are the same thing. Poor product design passed off as cosmetic damage, which they consider to be my fault and not theirs.

I will never buy from them ever again.
    https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Kitchen-and-Family-Hub/Samsung-RFG298HDBP-XAA-Refrigerator-with-Rusting-Door/td-p/54684

Ok - Sorry.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Thanks Daddyjt… I did not mean to appear ungrateful for the advice. My wife and I are redoing the kitchen, and having to scrap the fridge was not in our plans. We will be getting slightly cheaper cabinets and I will be doing all the paint and finish work to compensate.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    ^^^^^ Love it! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    My 90 year old mother has a spare refrigerator in her basement. It's the 1967 GM-Frigidaire shown below.

I defrosted the freezer compartment for her today. Usually needs it twice a year. This unit is 52 years old.

It's pretty empty right now, but we fill it up around the holidays. Never had any problems with it.

She's gone through probably four upstairs refrigerators since this one was sent down for back-up duty.

The green did not blend well upstairs, as time moved on.

It keeps cold and freezes, just old school.

8znr2q55fhfp.jpg

7ax14tvzs3qn.jpg

hkw2euebculc.jpg

This was built when GM still made stuff that lasts. Can't say much for the current crap though. ;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Love this thread!
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    maxward wrote: »
    Would you buy a pair of speakers based on some numerical “rating” given by CR? No, you would not. So, it’s a given that they know nothing about stereo equipment and very little about cars. Then why would you trust their ratings of other appliances?

I remember a good friend use to get CR about 25-30 years ago, and, he was set to buy a JVC stereo based on their recommendations. They were talking about distortion ratings and blah, blah, blah. JVC was one of their highest rated pieces. He bought one, brought it over and we ran it on my system and then put my Luxman back in. He was convinced they were full of Chrap after that.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I work on AC’s, but for what it’s worth, here is what I’ve learned talking to other people who come to your house to fix things.

Major appliances, most everything in your house, are designed to last 10-15 years. Engineers are really good, and about 80 percent of them fail in this time frame.

The more expensive the appliance, the higher the profit margin. When looking at the $800 fridge, that may have a 20% profit margin, while the $2500 fridge will have a 40% profit margin. So telling the fridge to put milk on the reorder list may seem cool, it is really expensive.

The cheap appliances use older, proven technology. Going back to the fridge, instead of microprocessors, they use thermistors. Not as accurate, so can’t get that environmentally friendly sticker, but a thermistor doesn’t need to be programmed.

For whatever it’s worth, the most common failure on high end appliances is the various electronic boards in them. There comes a point where the home owner simply doesn’t want to spend half the cost of a new model to repair the old one.

There are known problems with every manufacturers products out there. The people who fix them know what they are. Most people who work on them won’t talk bad about a specific brand. If you ask them, they will tell you a manufacturer or three that they prefer.

Generally people who come to your house work alone, so they really don’t have a problem talking to somebody when you approach them. They will usually take a couple of minutes to chat with you, so don’t be afraid to ask. Trust me, we all understand that people, in general, have no clue about these things, and Google is usually not your friend, in this case.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    charley95 wrote: »
    I know a guy that services GE. He told me his supplier buys replacement parts for them by the pallet. That should tell ya enough about GE.

My 20 year GE washer and dryer, other than replacing a plastic control knob on the washer and the dryer drum belt have been trouble free.

You need to consider there are tens of millions of GE appliances around.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    verb wrote: »
    Our kitchen is all Viking.
    9geme2da5q3g.jpg

• charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    F1nut wrote: »
    charley95 wrote: »
    I know a guy that services GE. He told me his supplier buys replacement parts for them by the pallet. That should tell ya enough about GE.

My 20 year GE washer and dryer, other than replacing a plastic control knob on the washer and the dryer drum belt have been trouble free.

You need to consider there are tens of millions of GE appliances around.

A 20 yr. old GE is still a good unit. I was referring to the newer models.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Most everything made 20+ years ago was built to last longer than todays. Appliances, cars, mowers, even clothes and shoes.

Funny how it all correlates with the "we must be environmentally friendly" or "energy efficient" mantras. Which is just a cover for we "need to make more money". How is more appliances in the junk yard environmentally friendly ? More cars in the bone yard ?

Built in obsolesce….everything has it these days, and it gets shorter and shorter.

My current fridge and dishwasher are 25+ year old Kitchenaides, not one problem with either. Stove I just bought a few years ago, a double oven LG electric. Piece of junk. Speed queen for the laundry. Honda for the mower. Toyota for the car.

Much of the problems comes with all the gadgetry and electronics. On my LG stove, the oven vents right under the control panel. That's a design/engineering issue wish I would have caught before I bought it.

Oh....and as already stated, never use the self cleaning mode on your oven. It goes nuclear and can crack the oven door glass, destroy the seals on the door, or even melt some electronics. Think of it as a "I want a new oven" button.

Less problems= less gadgetry, but that's not what sells appliances is it. We constantly want our appliances to take all the guesswork out of things, make life easier, even if it's only in the short term because of it's life span. We want everything wifi connected, to be controlled with our phones, told what's in the fridge and when to get more even if we are at the office. Built in tablet on your Fridge ? That's useful...lol. My stove is wifi enabled, so I can turn it on/off if not home. I don't use it because...who the heck wants to turn on their oven when not home ? Who leaves their house with it on ?

Enough common sense for one day.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    I will say, that is actually what I like about my kitchenaid stuff, no frills, just tank. The fridge has modest controls at best, but it weighs like 350 pounds.

I found it from one of my construction contacts at half off with warranty and delivery... Did get the extended warranty, 4 years total coverage

exfn2b5d40ev.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Looks nice Trey, which model is that ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Odd. I had an LG washer/dryer for nearly 5 years at my old house and never had a single problem with them. They honestly looked and performed like new when the sale closed. Sounds like I bought an exception to the rule.......and as much as the fiance likes to cook, I get the feeling we're gonna go all out on some Viking appliances in the next house we buy.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    VR3 wrote: »
    I will say, that is actually what I like about my kitchenaid stuff, no frills, just tank. The fridge has modest controls at best, but it weighs like 350 pounds.

I found it from one of my construction contacts at half off with warranty and delivery... Did get the extended warranty, 4 years total coverage

exfn2b5d40ev.jpg

I have that fridge as well, it’s awesome.

Huge, but awesome!
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993
    edited July 2019
    jflail2 wrote: »
    Odd. I had an LG washer/dryer for nearly 5 years at my old house and never had a single problem with them. They honestly looked and performed like new when the sale closed. Sounds like I bought an exception to the rule.......and as much as the fiance likes to cook, I get the feeling we're gonna go all out on some Viking appliances in the next house we buy.

No, you had the result that most people have. LG is rated the highest in reliability of all the major manufacturers for washers and dryers. Those that write on here about LG problems were the ones that were the exceptions to the rule.

As far as Viking appliances, I'm sure you will love them! We remodeled the kitchen in our house a few years ago, and installed a Wolf 6 burner cooktop and a Wolf double oven. Both preformed spectacularly. We sold that house a couple of years ago and I miss them a lot!

Post edited by mark090852 on
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    My 90 year old mother has a spare refrigerator in her basement. It's the 1967 GM-Frigidaire shown below.

I defrosted the freezer compartment for her today. Usually needs it twice a year. This unit is 52 years old.

It's pretty empty right now, but we fill it up around the holidays. Never had any problems with it.

She's gone through probably four upstairs refrigerators since this one was sent down for back-up duty.

The green did not blend well upstairs, as time moved on.

It keeps cold and freezes, just old school.

8znr2q55fhfp.jpg

7ax14tvzs3qn.jpg

hkw2euebculc.jpg

I had the exact same fridge and ran it for many years as a kegerator in my listening room and it kept the beer at a perfect 37 degrees with no issues ever. Then we remodeled the kitchen and I swapped out our early 2000's GE fridge for that old Frigidaire. Imagine my surprise when the light bill dropped significantly. The problem with those early frost free fridges I'm told is they're running continuously; they're always either cooling or heating up.
  • verb
    jflail2 wrote: »

We love our Vikings! When we remodeled the old house, we put all Vikings in there. Now with the new house, we did the same. The new kitchen is bigger, so the appliances got bigger too! :smile:

With the exception of the Viking coffee maker, their stuff is built like tanks.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    edited July 2019
    When i went to get a new Washer and Dryer I was between Whirlpool or Samsung the sale rep suggested Whirlpool by a mile. I rather stay on phones, tablets and tv`s with Samsung.

Last fridge GE lasted for 9 yrs with no problems it stayed at the old house and it was a floor sample. New one is again a GE unit and again another floor sample with a nice discount.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • verb
    edited July 2019
    Viking64 wrote: »
    verb wrote: »
    We love our Vikings! When we remodeled the old house, we put all Vikings in there. Now with the new house, we did the same. The new kitchen is bigger, so the appliances got bigger too! :smile:

With the exception of the Viking coffee maker, their stuff is built like tanks.

STOP OBSESSING OVER ME!!!!!! :o

I can't help it! I miss you Jimmy! :smile: You tank you!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    That Avocado color on appliances deserves to make a comeback. And egg trays too. I miss those.

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    3dgvliastung.png
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    you need some PBR to keep that Miller Lite company. Kinda how I feel at a black tie dinner, "I do not belong here."
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    The sad truth is that most appliances suck these days. The house we bought 1 1/2 yrs ago had a Whirlpool fridge. The house was finished in late 2016, and the original owner left it vacant for about 7 mos before we bought it so this fridge only had maybe 3 yrs of use. The icemaker died about 2 mos ago. I replaced that myself. Then a month later the compressor went out. We said screw it and bought a new Samsung. No matter which brand you Google for reviews they all suck. You've just got to hope you get a "good one".
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • 3dgvliastung.png

That Founder KBS. Super good!!!
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    My 35+ year old Gibson (I think) is still working. However, it isn’t quite as cold as it used to be, but the beer and meat is still fine.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    So this past weekend I pulled the bulb out of the oven, replaced the cover, and said F it. This was after I attempted to “reset” the over by unplugging it for 15 minutes, per the instructions of “Steve” my LG rep. based in Indonesia. Of course that didn’t work, so my OCD kicked into hyper drive at the sight of coffee beans, popcorn, dog food even though we don’t feed the dog in the kitchen, and a couple stray shards of glass under the oven. After scrubbing the floor and backsplash, I eyed the fridge and recalled BlueFox’s post about cleaning his coils.... what the heck. My Sunday is already a lost cause. Check two things off the list...good times people.