Yet Another LG Appliance Fail

Options
kevhed72
kevhed72 Posts: 4,962
About 3 years ago our washing machine bit the dust after roughly 7 years due to LG dropping the ball on a recall notice we never received only to discover another issue which ultimately led to it being sent to the big washing machine in the sky....aka the landfill. Our LG dishwasher will not operate on "normal" cycle....only "quick" or "scrub" due to a control panel issue. Enter our LG double oven. The interior light will not turn off. I unscrewed the bulb and went to re install the glass cover and it engaged the bulb again to screw it back enough to make contact, lighting the bulb. For kicks I hit the button next to the door that acts as a switch when you close the door. The good....the bulb turned itself off! The very bad....somehow the cleaning mode engaged with the door open and STARTED HEATING THE OVEN TO CHERNOBYL TEMP that is used to "self clean" the oven. I was able to shut it down after hitting both OFF buttons on the control panel, but that could of ended badly. To summarize....in my experience, AVOID LG APPLIANCES AT ALL COST. This concludes this public service announcement....

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    Samsung is crap too. The water/ice dispenser on our three year old fridge...

fi8cdzwatydy.jpg

Yes ladies and gents, that is rust! It needed service twice for failed processors resulting in loss of food, and the original was replaced under warranty for the same reason.our shelves are also coming apart.

9wj3pqasbotw.jpg

Samsung basically told us to pound sand and it would be 500 bucks for the shelves, and the door.... we don’t care whatsoever. Never again!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    Options
    Sorry to hear it, alot of new appliances are... Well... Crap

We went with kitchenaid with the remodel and have been extremely pleased. My wife cooks 2 or 3 times a day and, knock on wood, have not experienced any issues in the past year or so
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • kevhed72
    edited June 2019
    Options
    It seems our last round of appliances from LG are lasting right around 7 years....maybe all those Millennials who prefer to rent homes and condos are on to something.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear it, alot of new appliances are... Well... Crap

We went with kitchenaid with the remodel and have been extremely pleased. My wife cooks 2 or 3 times a day and, knock on wood, have not experienced any issues in the past year or so
    How many years have you had the appliances...very curious.

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Whirlpool has come around. A lot of our builders have now switched to them (whirlpool and kitchenaid are part of the same group) because their quality is the least worst.
    Even the Uber expensive brands like Wolf, DCS, Thermador all have their issues. Just a part of the game unfortunately. Even Miele have slipped some.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Note to self. Stay away from LG products! I'm a GE kind of gal myself.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »

Which has the most expensive replacement parts on the market. When I worked at the parts depot(sells replacement parts for appliances) I'd always to to see if there was an equivalent from another brand that would fit. Same company that made it for both companies and the whirlpool part would always be 35-50% cheaper. Keep it in mind Cathy.

Myself I'm a Whirlpool, Maytag and Electrolux kind of guy.
    I just bought a new refrigerator and I didn't need anything fancy yet all the salesfolks where pushing both Samsung and LG products. They tried to keep warning me away from Whirlpool or Frigidaire as very unreliable. As I found out (yes I do research) both the models SS and LG had the highest profit margins and worst reliability for longevity.

• Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Options
    I guess i was lucky, my salesman said "i wouldn't try to sell you a Samsung or lg if his life depended on it". We stayed with Frigidaire Gallery edition and couldn't be happier. This replaced another same model that's 20+ years old and it is still going strong.

Knocking on wood & hope they last.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options
    Whirlpool, Kitchenaid, and Maytag brands are all made by Whirlpool corporation. I think the quality of each brand ranks (intentionally marketed) as good, better, and best (in the order I listed).
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    I have now accepted that these companies are making them to be obsolete in a few years. If I manage to at least get 10 years out of it, I count myself lucky and simply by a new one.

But I never shoot the moon on any appliance and get the fanciest one on the market, I just get one that does all the basic things that I need it to do.

That way when it craps out, I don't go in to a rage at how much I paid for the damn thing to just break down in 10 years.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • kevhed72
    Options
    I would be happy with 10 years😅
    Who was it that said 'quality is free' yet some manufacturers still don't get it.
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 996
    Options
    We just ordered an LG washer and dryer pair based on a ton of research and Consumer Reports latest report. The top six washing machines, based on thousands of surveys, were all LG. We went with LG to have the best odds against failure. Anecdotal postings like we see here in this thread are interesting, but not reflective of the results of large comparison studies. I've always followed the results of CR reports and others that are similar, and so far, have been happy with our purchases. Well...I did buy a Chevy Vega a long time ago, but we won't talk about that! :)
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited June 2019
    Options
    The appliance companies learned from the technology industry that, in a world where the population isn't growing by leaps and bounds anymore, the path to success (besides leveraged buyouts, of course) is to sell stuff with a short useful life.

I hate our refrigerator (ca. 2011 vintage Kitchenaid).
    I could write a book.

• kevhed72
    Options
    I hope it works out for you in the long run....I used to read Consumer Reports religiously years ago and was under the impression LG was near the top when we purchased out last round of appliances. I agree with Cathy....we are buying the cheapest, base models of whatever moving forward.
  • mark090852
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I hope it works out for you in the long run....I used to read Consumer Reports religiously years ago and was under the impression LG was near the top when we purchased out last round of appliances. I agree with Cathy....we are buying the cheapest, base models of whatever moving forward.

My wife and I are old and just days away from full retirement. We are purchasing the highest rated appliances we can while we can still afford them. And we are hedging our bets by also buying the extended warranties and hoping that these appliances last until the "kids" force us into care facilities. lol I'll report back in a few years and let you know if we made smart choices or not. :)
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    mark090852 wrote: »
    We just ordered an LG washer and dryer pair based on a ton of research and Consumer Reports latest report. The top six washing machines, based on thousands of surveys, were all LG. We went with LG to have the best odds against failure. Anecdotal postings like we see here in this thread are interesting, but not reflective of the results of large comparison studies. I've always followed the results of CR reports and others that are similar, and so far, have been happy with our purchases. Well...I did buy a Chevy Vega a long time ago, but we won't talk about that! :)

Consumer Reports is a joke.

No doubt in my mind they are paid hefty sums to be shills for pure junk.

My father used to be a big CR guy. After ALL of the “Top Rated” appliances he bought based on their reports failed way too quickly he learned to ignore them.

LG is garbage with the WORST warranty/CS. Wait till your drum bearings fail two years in and they quote you $500 just in labor to replace them. despite the fact that they are still under warranty, BUT the labor is not!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    I went out washer and dryer shopping about 6 years ago.
    I went through 2 Samsung washers and a maytag.
    The longest one lasted was a week. I finally went down to Sears
    And asked for the most reliable kenmore they had.
    Two years later I went through a couple of fridges.
    (Samsung, not My idea!). The new energy saving units
    Simply don't last. You aren't going to get 15 years out of
    Any modern unit.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    What pizzes me off about the Samsung I have is that the parts that are failing are the ones that should be outlasting the rest of the fridge. Rust??? Shelves and drawers falling apart???
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    I have received good service from all my Kenmore appliances, purchased from Sears (and made by Whirlpool). Longevity stats on my current Kenmore appliances:

Washer and Dryer: 14.5 years.
    Refrigerator: 15 years.
    Compact Refrigerator (for office at work): 17 years.

My built-in oven, built-in microwave, range top, and dishwasher are GE Profile appliances and were selected when the house was built 17 years ago. No problems with any of them. Kenmore didn't have the color or aesthetics that I wanted and the builder highly recommended GE Profile.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • mark090852
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »

My father used to be a big CR guy. After ALL of the “Top Rated” appliances he bought based on their reports failed way too quickly he learned to ignore them.

LG is garbage with the WORST warranty/CS. Wait till your drum bearings fail two years in and they quote you $500 just in labor to replace them. despite the fact that they are still under warranty, BUT the labor is not!

Uh...no, they are not a joke. They take no money from the manufacturers or distributors.

And regarding the labor cost, that is why we are getting the 5 year extended warranty. Repair or replace the appliance. No deductible, no labor cost. We still could end up with bad appliances but the odds are more in our favor following CR recommendations than blindly choosing another brand that statistically has lower reliability ratings. If I'm going to gamble, I'm going to go with the favorites at this point in my life.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options

On the other hand I have LG Fridge, Oven ,Washer, dryer, and microwave for 4 years now and not 1 single issue. My dishwasher is KitchenAide ... no problems there. Make sure you have good surge protection and good water.

Life's Good

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I have an LG clothes dryer without issues. But, I deliberately did not get one with the fancy controls, steam drying, and other things that are likely to break over time. Usually I just mid range for things, not high or super low.

On my dishwasher I use the same settings for every load. Haven’t pushed any different buttons in ten years. Appliances are way too complicated now, but they are that way because the marketing geniuses figured out people tend to buy the most complicated models when they “upgrade.” I think the Speed Queen brand is still rated tops for quality for laundry because they put their money into building simple and reliable mechanical devices.

A friend of mine has had her fancy fingerprint proof stainless steel fridge that makes multiple varieties of ice fixed three times in its first five years for differwnt things that broke. I have an ice maker in mine that started dripping so I just disconnected the water supply after an appliance repair guy told me it might take $400 to $500 to fix it right. On a fridge that cost $800 twelve years ago. Still keeps perfect temperature though!
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Whirlpool has come around. A lot of our builders have now switched to them (whirlpool and kitchenaid are part of the same group) because their quality is the least worst.
    Even the Uber expensive brands like Wolf, DCS, Thermador all have their issues. Just a part of the game unfortunately. Even Miele have slipped some.

Yep. Our kitchen is all Viking. Our icemaker had issues. I remember owning a Viking coffee maker back at the old house and it was a POS.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,520
    Options
    Would you buy a pair of speakers based on some numerical “rating” given by CR? No, you would not. So, it’s a given that they know nothing about stereo equipment and very little about cars. Then why would you trust their ratings of other appliances?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    At one time CR did a decent job, but that was a very long time ago.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    When buying appliances one needs to consult with an independent repair shop prior to purchase. I have and never regretted asking my repair guys opinion. Have a 17 yr. old washer/dryer set made by Crosley or Whirlpool actually. My guy told me to NEVER get rid of the set. I've repaired them for practically pennies through the years and there is no circuit boards in them. Planned obselesense is what it's all about in the appliance world and most everything else. Why would a company want to sell something that lasts?!
  • charley95
    Options

Couldn't agree more about CR!!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,331
    Options
    What pizzes me off about the Samsung I have is that the parts that are failing are the ones that should be outlasting the rest of the fridge. Rust??? Shelves and drawers falling apart???

Try Amazon - the ice maker on our Samsung went out (long out of warranty). The repair company wanted $425 to replace it. I found it on Amazon for about $120. YouTube video showed me how to replace it, - took all of 20 minutes.

Not saying this is a viable option for all repairs, but it’s at least worth the research....

af7xs304zhlp.jpeg

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• charley95
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    cfrizz wrote: »

Which has the most expensive replacement parts on the market. When I worked at the parts depot(sells replacement parts for appliances) I'd always to to see if there was an equivalent from another brand that would fit. Same company that made it for both companies and the whirlpool part would always be 35-50% cheaper. Keep it in mind Cathy.

Myself I'm a Whirlpool, Maytag and Electrolux kind of guy.
    I just bought a new refrigerator and I didn't need anything fancy yet all the salesfolks where pushing both Samsung and LG products. They tried to keep warning me away from Whirlpool or Frigidaire as very unreliable. As I found out (yes I do research) both the models SS and LG had the highest profit margins and worst reliability for longevity.

I know a guy that services GE. He told me his supplier buys replacement parts for them by the pallet. That should tell ya enough about GE.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited June 2019
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »

Try Amazon - the ice maker on our Samsung went out (long out of warranty). The repair company wanted $425 to replace it. I found it on Amazon for about $120. YouTube video showed me how to replace it, - took all of 20 minutes.

Not saying this is a viable option for all repairs, but it’s at least worth the research....

af7xs304zhlp.jpeg

I need to replace the friggen door, not the icemaker. :/ It is a well-known issue and is not covered at all by Samsung under any circumstance as "cosmetic issues' are outside of their warranty policy. my shelves are the same thing. Poor product design passed off as cosmetic damage, which they consider to be my fault and not theirs.

I will never buy from them ever again.
    https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Kitchen-and-Family-Hub/Samsung-RFG298HDBP-XAA-Refrigerator-with-Rusting-Door/td-p/54684