Drilling advice for Dreadnought box?

Says it all. Looking for advice on drilling the holes for the SpeakOn screws in one of Larry's boxes for the recent group buy. I don't have access to a drill press, and will be making a run to the hardware store for a drill and bit(s).

Thanks for the advice!

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Find a bit that fits snugly through the hole

Line the plate with painters tape, 2 layers

Put the connector on the plate, make sure it's straight

Place the drill bit in the hole, start the drill and go enough to just remove the paint. Do both holes.

Remove the connector

Drill all the way through at your marks, be sure to remove any burs on the other side.

Done
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    Thanks Trey. Bit material? Speed?

What can I say, I'm a total noob at this stuff.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Milwaukee titanium coated bits are great

Slow when marking the holes, once marked, full speed ahead, just be careful it didn't lunge into the plate
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Dr_Wu
    That's it. Thanks, again.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    I find a spring loaded center punch an indispensable tool for such tasks.

xf5mi35g1jk5.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Dr_Wu
    Thanks daddyjt!

In case anyone is interested, I started with a 1.5mm titanium bit, and then enlarged with a 3.05mm HSS. The 3mm screws fit perfectly.

Appreciate the ABCs, gents!
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    I always think it is so cool when someone posts about something like this. Wants to do it right !