Drilling advice for Dreadnought box?

Says it all. Looking for advice on drilling the holes for the SpeakOn screws in one of Larry's boxes for the recent group buy. I don't have access to a drill press, and will be making a run to the hardware store for a drill and bit(s).

Thanks for the advice!

Comments

• VR3VR3 Posts: 23,227
    Find a bit that fits snugly through the hole

Line the plate with painters tape, 2 layers

Put the connector on the plate, make sure it's straight

Place the drill bit in the hole, start the drill and go enough to just remove the paint. Do both holes.

Remove the connector

Drill all the way through at your marks, be sure to remove any burs on the other side.

Done
    - Not Tom

Vr3Mods.com ///// Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • Dr_WuDr_Wu Posts: 150
    Thanks Trey. Bit material? Speed?

What can I say, I'm a total noob at this stuff.
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 23,227
    Milwaukee titanium coated bits are great

Slow when marking the holes, once marked, full speed ahead, just be careful it didn't lunge into the plate
    - Not Tom

Vr3Mods.com ///// Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
    That's it. Thanks, again.
  • daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 870
    I find a spring loaded center punch an indispensable tool for such tasks.

xf5mi35g1jk5.jpeg
    Too much stuff to keep track of.

Currently enjoying: Legacy Focus 20/20, McCormack DNA 225, Bill D C1, Oppo 105
    Thanks daddyjt!

In case anyone is interested, I started with a 1.5mm titanium bit, and then enlarged with a 3.05mm HSS. The 3mm screws fit perfectly.

Appreciate the ABCs, gents!
  • VSAT88VSAT88 Posts: 708
    I always think it is so cool when someone posts about something like this. Wants to do it right !