My soundbar turns on by itself, after being turned off. How do I stop this?

Options
Just bought a sound bar on Wed. Set it up earlier today, and it sounds great. However, it began turning on by itself after being shut off. How do I stop this?

Answers

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Get a different soundbar ? :)

Does it turn on by itself with the TV off ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jackpbrown
    Options
    With the tv on
  • tonyb
    Options
    Go into your TV's audio settings and see if there are options. Like an auto detect mode, every TV is a little different on how they handle the audio output. The soundbar is detecting a signal and turning on, when the TV is on.

Though I would think most get a soundbar to be left on all the time anyway due to the poor speakers in todays TV's.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    We've covered this before. It receives a signal, it turns on. That's what it's supposed to do. Why would you want to use the crap speakers in the TV? That's why you bought the soundbar, right?
  • jackpbrown
    Options
    I bought the soundbar to get better audio while watching movies (blu-ray & dvd). For watching tv, the soundbar doesn't need to be on all the time
  • tonyb
    Options
    jackpbrown wrote: »
    I bought the soundbar to get better audio while watching movies (blu-ray & dvd). For watching tv, the soundbar doesn't need to be on all the time

If you don't want it on while watching TV, don't connect it to the TV. Connect it to a receiver. That way you have more control over when it's on.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited June 2019
    Options
    jackpbrown wrote: »

Well, as someone who fires up the entire home theater to watch TV, this makes no sense to me. Good sound is good sound, no mater the source. Are you trying to pinch pennies or just annoyed you have to turn off the sound bar when you're done? There's a solution for that, it's called a universal remote. Harmony is a good brand. Everybody with more than one remote should own one.